= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 29, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #19,966 of 21,172

From the good old jerg pad thread.

Jul 29, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #19,967 of 21,172
A guy at hifiman ordered a pair to his office to test out next time he's in China. We know nothing about intended tuning changes.

Well, at least 3 people have pretty much confirmed the exact same sound differences from v1 to v2. Whether or not it was intentional or not is kinda an afterthought.

I had a suspicion the v2's used a slightly thinner diaphragm the originals (I noticed some very minor telltale crinkling in mine). That would also most likely explain the sound changes. I'd also be why the stupid "bass fart" mod works, which honestly I've never been a fan of. I've heard some pad rolling on these have resulted in some good changes. Also expect soon to get some measurements of the v2's as well.

I just scored an almost mint pair of HE-5's and they make me want to douse the v2's in gasoline and set them on fire. Okay, they're not that bad but sometimes the classic idiom is spot on. They don't make em like they used to.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #19,968 of 21,172
A guy at hifiman ordered a pair to his office to test out next time he's in China. We know nothing about intended tuning changes.

The sub bass improvement trick works on all hifiman cans, but the effect depends ln the resonant frequency of the membrane. On these older models, the drivers are lower tension.

What happens when you leak the pressure like that, is that the corner frequency before the bass rolloff is boosted, while everything below it is cut off even harder. On the 400S, this frequency is around 40-50Hz, so you get a bump in that range, but at the cost of an even steeper rolloff below that, so you lose a ton of 20-30Hz.

On the 500 and 560, the driver is tuned with a rolloff that starts belpw human hearing, so that leaking pressure causes that bump in the deeeeep sub bass, and the bass rolloff is steeper, yet happens deeper down than we would ever care to reproduce.

The reason it happens is because the pressure in the ear pad cavity against your skin is holding the membrane in place. Leaking the pressure allows it to move more, since it's not held in place by that pressure, and it is allowed to flop around more. The same happens on all tensioned planar drivers, as well as electrostatics like stax. Where it happens im the frequency response depends on the design.

Great explanation, thanks. I noticed my diaphragms are really wrinkly. Luckily they don't affect the sound, but man is it ugly :). Any idea where to get those exact strips used from that jerg mod?

Jul 29, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #19,969 of 21,172
Great explanation, thanks. I noticed my diaphragms are really wrinkly. Luckily they don't affect the sound, but man is it ugly :). Any idea where to get those exact strips used from that jerg mod?

Go read the Jerg Pad thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-he500-he400-jergpad-mod-v2-5.646812/

It's just stacked electrical tape. Doesn't matter what it is. Just make sure it's soft so you don't break the rings. You just want to keep the ring from sealing against the cup.

Jul 29, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #19,970 of 21,172
Jul 30, 2018 at 1:00 AM Post #19,971 of 21,172
100% agree. The BasX A-100 is a good match for the HE560 and the HD600/650 for that matter too. KEF M500 ($70 at NewEgg!) sound great through the A-100 as well. It's a spectacular headphone amp for the price. Anyone that is on a budget or just wants outstanding value for the money should jump all over it. I think stepping up from the A-100 in any meaningful way would cost a lot more money.

Using "normal mode" or "direct drive mode"? This amp seems ideal in "direct drive mode" for HE-5 and HE-6 instead, mostly because doesn't seems to have a dedicated headphone amplifier when used in "normal mode"; my guess is that is using resistive/passive adaptor to lower the voltages for the headphones, so I'm puzzled about the output impedance of the entire passive circuit.

However, if it does sound great in "normal mode", then it's good to know.

L.E.: Found what I needed here: http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/thread/50492/emotiva-headphone-review-senheisser-hd600. Thanks!

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #19,972 of 21,172
I don't find the V2 to be that analytical at all....sure, it has good detail retrieval but I would characterize it as smooth, with more emphasis on mid-range than treble. The bass is pretty good though. I think sometimes people forget that planars often require quite a bit of power to realize their full potential, and the V2 is no exception. The bass improves considerably the more power you feed the headphone. The V2 can have a full and rich sound with the proper amplification.

What's going on? You have been defending the 560 v2 all week both in sound quality and comfort, but now you posted it for sale in the classifieds? What gives? Why not just return it to Adorama?

Jul 30, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #19,974 of 21,172
What's going on? You have been defending the 560 v2 all week both in sound quality and comfort, but now you posted it for sale in the classifieds? What gives? Why not just return it to Adorama?

I will still defend it in sound quality and comfort. It's an excellent headphone. It was an impulse buy anyway (the psychology of the "great deal") and don't regret purchasing, but I think it's a waste to have it if I don't get a chance to listen to them that much. If it doesn't sell in a couple of weeks, I might just keep it. I've returned a couple of things to Adorama in the past and don't want to abuse the right. It's probably not a big deal though and can still return it if I want to.

Plus, I am in the speaker phase now more than headphones. I am really into my Magnepan speakers at the moment.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #19,975 of 21,172
News to all V2 owners, from my Reddit thread:

"I apologize for the delay in updating you all here. We stopped the sale of these headphones, Hifiman is sending 2 people to our warehouse in the next week, to replace all headbands on our existing headphone inventory, as well as making sure the remaining inventory is updated.

If you need a replacement please email our Customer Services Team - [service@adorama.com](mailto:service@adorama.com) with your order number, WITHIN THE NEXT TWO WEEKS!!

*Best wishes*
*Helen Oster*
*Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador*
*Helen@adorama.com*"

Aug 1, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #19,976 of 21,172

"I apologize for the delay in updating you all here. We stopped the sale of these headphones, Hifiman is sending 2 people to our warehouse in the next week, to replace all headbands on our existing headphone inventory, as well as making sure the remaining inventory is updated.

If you need a replacement please email our Customer Services Team - [service@adorama.com](mailto:service@adorama.com) with your order number, WITHIN THE NEXT TWO WEEKS!!

*Best wishes*
*Helen Oster*
*Helen@adorama.com*"
Do you have a link to the Reddit thread?

Aug 1, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #19,978 of 21,172
hmmm message sent to them ill let you guys know what they say. im wondering if they are swapping just the band or the entire thing. i actually kind of like the colorway which will suck if they go to the black but i guess that one is not to bad.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #19,980 of 21,172

*Best wishes*
*Helen Oster*
*Helen@adorama.com*"

Wish they would do the same for the defective V1 headbands. On my third one now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back