= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jun 14, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #19,666 of 21,171
Wanted to share my experience here. I bought the he560's from Amazon about a month ago. I'd heard of some of the issues with build quality but went for it anyway, especially since there was a warranty.

When I first got them they were perfect. I love the sound, and I thought the build quality seemed fine. Out of the box there was NO indication that they were weak or poorly made in any way. I think this an important point -- they didn't LOOK weak or defective in any way.

Then, about a month later, I went to take them off my head at the end of the night, and the right driver was just dangling there, one side of its yoke had snapped just like so many of the photos here. I emailed hifiman support right away, with a pic and a proof of purchase, but apparently the seller on Amazon wasn't an authorized dealer and they asked me to ask the seller for proof and they could send me a "replacement pair". I foolishly figured that 'prime' meant it was fully legit.

Anyway, I contacted the seller, who I thought was a store, and he wanted me to send the headphones back to him, so he could get in touch with hifiman, and then send me the replacements when he got them. I thought this was a little sketchy, so I reached out to hifiman again and told them the whole situation. I even sent them the email from the seller. At this, they said they will send me a replacement headband free of charge. THey didn't specify which one, but they sent me the video tutorial for installing the metal one so I'm hoping that's what I get.

So - assuming I get the new band and it's solid, all's well that ends well. I really like the sound of these and they really sing with my NFB29.38. Hifiman support seems to have really come through...

Jun 14, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #19,667 of 21,171
So - assuming I get the new band and it's solid, all's well that ends well. I really like the sound of these and they really sing with my NFB29.38. Hifiman support seems to have really come through...

They pair wonderfully with Audio-gd, don't they? I run mine through a 28.38, and it's so nice.

Here's hoping the new headband works out. It should, honestly. HiFiMan needs to make this right.

Jun 15, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #19,668 of 21,171
Hey guys, I've heard back and forth about HiFiman customer service and people having both opinions. I am at the point that I will never own a second HiFiman product right now. Is this a common experience?

I bought the HE560 recently. My first pair came with the left jack separated from the wood and cup. I contacted them and they quickly arranged for a replacement.
20180530_205400.jpg
They then sent me a new pair with the exact same build flaw. Except this time when I emailed them back about it, they just ignored my email for almost two weeks! I sent them another email which they finally responded to by confirming that these were a different set and that is all.
20180607_175029.jpg
Do all of your HE560s have that same splitting wood and plastic on the left jack? Am I crazy that I'm not happy with this quality on a brand new item? Is this what HiFiman experience is truly like?

Jun 15, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #19,669 of 21,171
Yikes. While I had no problems with the one HiFiMan headphone I owned, I will never buy another brand new product from them.

Jun 15, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #19,670 of 21,171
Fwiw I've got the HE400i, HE560, Edition S and RE400 and haven't had any issues with either (except some rattling out of the box in one of the drivers on the HE560 but that was easily solved with the help of good guidance from Hifiman).

Just for the record these were all purchased, not review samples.

Jun 15, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #19,671 of 21,171
(except some rattling out of the box in one of the drivers on the HE560 but that was easily solved with the help of good guidance from Hifiman).

Hey just curious what that guidance from hifiman said about the rattling driver?

Jun 15, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #19,672 of 21,171
@Hansolo76, I've seen a few post from others that look like what you are describing but I don't recall ever seeing what was done about it so you might be the first. IIRC there was only one other that had a similar issue with the older SMC jack version but it seems it was a bit more common with the newer 2.5mm jack version, hope others can chime in with better info on this.

Jun 15, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #19,673 of 21,171
Hey just curious what that guidance from hifiman said about the rattling driver?

That it was probably a hair and that I should just remove the pads and the screws and gently blow on the driver, worked like a charm :wink:

Jun 15, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #19,674 of 21,171
I very recently got the 560 to add to my collection.First impression, with covers on,iphone to C5 amp. Good overall balance,bass bit thin, but good extension into the mids, treble not harsh/sibilant. As a closed back, not bad, not good. Removing covers, everything open up,( As expected),giving exceptional width/depth to the sound field, and for the price,£115 off eBay,exceptional.Tried Sony XB500 pads, very good, but I prefer the velour.The pads have made the greatest difference so far. (If you stand on your head, you will see what I mean!!.)I need to brush up on my photo skills!. Very, very sorry, wrong thread, please remove. Please excuse, as I am 78 years old!.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #19,675 of 21,171
I foolishly figured that 'prime' meant it was fully legit.

You are describing 2 different situations with "Prime".

1.) is your Prime membership that allows you lots of Amazon goodies, like free streaming, free shipping, etc......

2.) Amazon Prime the STORE, is the Legit Amazon purchase, ......So, if Amazon the store is actually selling the Headphones, as their "Prime", then that is Legit. But if you buy using your "prime membership" from someone who is just selling their stuff on Amazon, the same as if they are selling it on EBAY or REVERB, then this is not the same as buying it from Amazon "Prime" directly from the Amazon Store.
So, in that case, the seller should offer some type of "amazon warranty" that would help you with your issue, as long as its within the "30 day" return window.
Also, did you buy the extended warranty that Amazon offered you with your purchase?

Jun 15, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #19,676 of 21,171
@Hansolo76, I've seen a few post from others that look like what you are describing but I don't recall ever seeing what was done about it so you might be the first. IIRC there was only one other that had a similar issue with the older SMC jack version but it seems it was a bit more common with the newer 2.5mm jack version, hope others can chime in with better info on this.

The interesting part is that this separation is not happening post production. Both units were very strong at the defect. I was not even able to move the plastic piece at all with force, let alone push it back in place. These both set like this in manufacture and then passed QC...

Jun 15, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #19,677 of 21,171

You are describing 2 different situations with "Prime".

Yes I know this. What I mean is, it had that little prime logo on the item, and said "sold by OhanaMart and fulfilled by Amazon". This means that had the item broken within 30 days, I could have returned to amazon and gotten my money back as if I had bought direct from amazon, but since it was more like 35 days, I had to deal with the 1 year warranty from Hifiman. (I did not purchase an extended warranty from amazon, as the new hifiman headphones come with 1 year). Problem is, the 'store' I bought from isn't really a store (or at least certainly isn't an authorized dealer), it was just a guy who sold a new pair of headphones he'd bought. Lucky for me hifiman looked past this and agreed to give me a new headband anyway.

Jun 15, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #19,678 of 21,171

Yes I know this. What I mean is, it had that little prime logo on the item, and said "sold by OhanaMart and fulfilled by Amazon". This means that had the item broken within 30 days, I could have returned to amazon and gotten my money back as if I had bought direct from amazon, but since it was more like 35 days, I had to deal with the 1 year warranty from Hifiman. (I did not purchase an extended warranty from amazon, as the new hifiman headphones come with 1 year). Problem is, the 'store' I bought from isn't really a store (or at least certainly isn't an authorized dealer), it was just a guy who sold a new pair of headphones he'd bought. Lucky for me hifiman looked past this and agreed to give me a new headband anyway.

Well, you are partly correct.
Here is the thing.......Amazon is a huge warehouse.......a few of them, located in various states.
So, if you are a person who SELLS using Amazon, then you ship your products to one of their Warehouses....then Amazon lists it, as "fulfilled" by them, which means.....>"we have it in our warehouse on behalf of the seller and we ship it from our warehouse to you if you buy it., and shipping is usually free if you use your Prime account."
That is what "fulfilled by Amazon means"....it means they. have someone's product in one of their warehouses, and will ship it to a buyer = you.

Now here is the thing........in most cases, no matter if the product is brand new or refurb, or just used......if Amazon " fulfills" it for you......."if they ship it to you"......then that is where their control ends.
And what you have to do then is deal with the actual seller if you have issues.
In my case, ive returned a few NEW items, like headphones or cameras, that i bought using ither my Amazon Chase Visa or my Amazon Store Visa + my Prime status , yet because it was "fullfilled" by Amazon it was not bought FROM the Amazon store.
So in these cases, i had to deal with the labels and pay for the return, and i always had to return it to the seller, and they then refunded my Card through the Amazon system.
So far so good, as none of the sellers ive dealt with for the last 5 yrs have given me a headache regarding a return.

FB1

Jun 15, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #19,680 of 21,171
Well I have just fitted the replacement metal headband on my HE-560's so am back to listening and enjoying them very much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back