= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
May 19, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #19,606 of 21,171
I have a pair of Massdrop 4XX.
Can the headband/yoke be made to work on the 560's?
I'm keen to try this, until I get a way to buy the Sundara headband.... the attachments are smaller on the 4XX than on the 560's, which are just holes bored into the cup for the stupid plastic knobs on the break-away yoke.
Just send an email to their support, they are not so fast with replies but extremely kind so you can be sure, because without warranty (where it's free) the sundara headband costs 100 usd

May 21, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #19,607 of 21,171
Update on my situation;
Mark at HiFiman has let me purchase a Sundara headband at half price. So that is great news!
I am hoping that the hardware to mount it on my 560's comes with, as one needs the sleeve and the rubber o-rings to mount it into those massive holes drilled for the knobs on that cheesy plastic yoke.
Pretty stoked about it!

:)

May 21, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #19,609 of 21,171
Update on my situation;
Mark at HiFiman has let me purchase a Sundara headband at half price. So that is great news!
I am hoping that the hardware to mount it on my 560's comes with, as one needs the sleeve and the rubber o-rings to mount it into those massive holes drilled for the knobs on that cheesy plastic yoke.
Pretty stoked about it!

:)
You will get all the stuff you need to mount it, did you watch their video tutorial?

and ty :)

Last edited:
May 21, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #19,611 of 21,171

time by time screws loosening and I need to fix it, any good advice to solve this for good?

Last edited:
May 31, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #19,614 of 21,171
As a new head-fier I need to weigh in on my impressions of the HE-560.
In a word... ugh. As the review (editor's notes) at innerfidelity stated; these headphones did not do it for me.
I owned them for two weeks and couldn't sell them fast enough. Someone got a smokin deal on them.

In addition to the 560's, I currently own the Elear, LCD-2, and AKG K7XX.

While the comfort and fit of the 560 is outstanding - that's where my enthusiasm ends.
I put them through 30 hours of observant listening with multiple sources (Mojo, WA7d, HA-1A MK2, et al)
The cans did no favors to any of the rock or classical I tested and I finally stumbled on some old Willie Nelson that was only tolerable.
I played through some of my other favorite albums from Alice in Chains, Cracker (not Uncle), Widespread Panic, Bill Frisell, Bill Evans Trio, and more.
I found nothing about the 560 planars that remotely resembled quality resolution.
The bass was not discernible and the mids and highs all ran together.

I had high hopes for them and was pleased with their extremely comfortable fit.
It's possible that I received a bad pair but I didn't observe anything that I could attribute to a defect.
I'm glad that others are enjoying their 560's and I'm really surprised that I found something so un-matched for my ears.
Maybe I'm just due for a hearing test.

May 31, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #19,615 of 21,171
In a word... ugh. As the review (editor's notes) at innerfidelity stated; these headphones did not do it for me.
I owned them for two weeks and couldn't sell them fast enough. Someone got a smokin deal on them.

While the comfort and fit of the 560 is outstanding - that's where my enthusiasm ends.
I put them through 30 hours of observant listening with multiple sources (Mojo, WA7d, HA-1A MK2, et al)
The cans did no favors to any of the rock or classical I tested and I finally stumbled on some old Willie Nelson that was only tolerable.
I played through some of my other favorite albums from Alice in Chains, Cracker (not Uncle), Widespread Panic, Bill Frisell, Bill Evans Trio, and more.
I found nothing about the 560 planars that remotely resembled quality resolution.

It's possible that I received a bad pair but I didn't observe anything that I could attribute to a defect.
I'm glad that others are enjoying their 560's and I'm really surprised that I found something so un-matched for my ears.

The 560 should be at least as resolving as the LCD-2, with clear separation in the mids and highs. The bass is certainly less in quantity than the LCD-2 or Elear, but it should be readily discernible. I prefer the LCD-2 for its sound signature, but the 560 still compares well against it.

I would assume that you got a bad pair or a bad pairing.The 560 is slightly harder to driver than the LCD-2, but the amps you mentioned should be able to handle it. It may be a defective set.

I don't mean to sound like I am dismissing your perceptions, they just don't match my experience. The 560 is definitely the brightest of the headphones you mentioned, but I don't hear "the mids and highs all ran together."

May 31, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #19,616 of 21,171
Audio gear is very subjective, to your ears the 560's are not to your liking to mine they are very nice sounding but I've noticed that some genre's just don't agree with the 560's an example would be one I'm listening to right now "Kylie Minogue" she sounds way too bright with my 560's but someone like say Toni Braxton great, how about the AFO's give them a listen if you can I enjoy them with most genre's ..

May 31, 2018 at 10:19 PM Post #19,617 of 21,171
The 560 should be at least as resolving as the LCD-2, with clear separation in the mids and highs. The bass is certainly less in quantity than the LCD-2 or Elear, but it should be readily discernible. I prefer the LCD-2 for its sound signature, but the 560 still compares well against it.

I would assume that you got a bad pair or a bad pairing.The 560 is slightly harder to driver than the LCD-2, but the amps you mentioned should be able to handle it. It may be a defective set.

I don't mean to sound like I am dismissing your perceptions, they just don't match my experience. The 560 is definitely the brightest of the headphones you mentioned, but I don't hear "the mids and highs all ran together."

Thanks for sharing your comparison against the LCD-2. Those are my favorite for regular listening but do get heavy very quickly.
I do feel that I gave the 560's a fair test and was even willing to incur the loss when I sold them.
I didn't visually observe any defects in my drivers but I do know that defects can exist in non-visible forms.
I'm always willing to give something another shot, almost to a fault, so I'm sure I will cross paths with the 560's again.

Jun 1, 2018 at 3:24 AM Post #19,618 of 21,171

A little late to reply but I'd say that you and I really hear differently since I'd take my HE560 over my LCD-2f and K7XX any day and I've yet to hear the Elear. FWIW I didn't care for the Mojo and WA7d with the HE560, they were a bit thin and harsh sounding so I'd suspect that this is what you were hearing. Or like @phthora and @abvolt noted this is a subjective hobby so it could be that the HE560 just doesn't agree with your preferences, but if you ever have the chance to try them again I'd say give the HE560 a shot, might get harder to do since I think they might be discontinued soon.

Jun 1, 2018 at 5:13 AM Post #19,619 of 21,171
Audio gear is very subjective, to your ears the 560's are not to your liking to mine they are very nice sounding but I've noticed that some genre's just don't agree with the 560's an example would be one I'm listening to right now "Kylie Minogue" she sounds way too bright with my 560's but someone like say Toni Braxton great, how about the AFO's give them a listen if you can I enjoy them with most genre's ..
This is the whole point, and that's the reason why I decided to have more than 1 set of headphones, because there are really too few and very expensive ones that sound at best any genre. He-560 sound fantastic with many different music BUT not with everything,
@KC-130: we all have different ears and taste, so it can be just that He-560 are not nice for you and that 's fair and right, I don't think that yours have fails, but just that you don't like He-560 sound simple as that so you will have to find a better option that sounds nice for your ears :)
In my case I've to spread over a longer time my headphones test because my mood effects a lot my taste

Jun 1, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #19,620 of 21,171
Yeah, the 7XX by comparison to the HE-560 is muddy and muffled to my ears. The HE-560 doesn't have the impact of the Elear, but the HE-560 is much better at resolving details and certainly does subtlety and dynamic variation worlds better than the Elear.

The HE-560 has all kinds of bass to my ears using either an O2 or a Lyr 2. It's nowhere near as bright as a Beyerdynamic headphone for instance but handles the full range of classical music for me flawlessly. Are you sure about all the connections? I had wonky sound out of a T1 (all bass) and it turned out the adapter wasn't making a good connection. Cleaned it and it sounded fine.

The HE-560 is much harder to drive than these two (which can be used unamped) due to its very low sensitivity but agreed the Mojo should have been plenty.

I don't have the LCD-2 so can't comment on them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back