= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
May 14, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #19,561 of 21,171
81db is quite quiet...that’s not even reaching hifiman’s efficiency numbers...I’d say if your actually getting only 81db from max volume you are severely under amped.

I agree totally. A few people had asked what volumes I was getting that I wasn't happy with.

This debate was based off portable setups and I was saying that even with 500 mW @ 32 Ohms, the Conductor Air was not as loud as I would like especially compared to other planars I own.

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #19,562 of 21,171
I agree totally. A few people had asked what volumes I was getting that I wasn't happy with.

This debate was based off portable setups and I was saying that even with 500 mW @ 32 Ohms, the Conductor Air was not as loud as I would like especially compared to other planars I own.
Kinda funny, people in the thread a while back were trying to tell me that the he560 would reach 110+dB at 150mw...I throw 4watts at mine and while probably above safe listening levels for long term use, there still not even close to unbearable.

May 14, 2018 at 4:20 AM Post #19,563 of 21,171
I ordered mine from the hifiman store which is in the USA and have had no issues with them after proabably a month and a half of daily listening...I think they have various warehouses in various countries but not sure...obviously I didn’t have to deal w customs.

Many thanks! I got a really quick response from Hifiman:
"Hi, orders to the US ship form the US, orders to elsewhere ship form China. The headbands should be fine but if it was to break we would offer a replacement headband."
I would probably give it a try and order directly from their store, thanks again.

May 14, 2018 at 5:08 AM Post #19,564 of 21,171

Some food for thought: my Teac UD-301 DAC has an headphone amp that only puts out 100mW @ 32 ohmsand its able to get my HE560 to 80dB avg with peaks around 87dB, this is quite loud and borderline painful for me and I'm an old guy so if you can listen at max volume with your Conductor Air that's quite loud and probably at an unsafe level. Also tried my old Fiio X3 (270mW @ 32ohms) which will get the HE560 to +80dB also. At this level I can't hear any external noise and my GF is saying why do I have the volume so loud since she can hear the music across the room.

@Motocrossman24 , my Lyr2 will drive the HE560 to +80dB on low gain and about 3/4 volume which as I mentioned above is way too loud for me and its annoying other around me since anyone in the room can also hear what I'm listening to so if this is your normal volume you have either damaged your hearing, source is not sending a high enough signal to your amp or there is some other issue.

May 14, 2018 at 5:37 AM Post #19,565 of 21,171
Some food for thought: my Teac UD-301 DAC has an headphone amp that only puts out 100mW @ 32 ohmsand its able to get my HE560 to 80dB avg with peaks around 87dB, this is quite loud and borderline painful for me and I'm an old guy so if you can listen at max volume with your Conductor Air that's quite loud and probably at an unsafe level. Also tried my old Fiio X3 (270mW @ 32ohms) which will get the HE560 to +80dB also. At this level I can't hear any external noise and my GF is saying why do I have the volume so loud since she can hear the music across the room.

@Motocrossman24 , my Lyr2 will drive the HE560 to +80dB on low gain and about 3/4 volume which as I mentioned above is way too loud for me and its annoying other around me since anyone in the room can also hear what I'm listening to so if this is your normal volume you have either damaged your hearing, source is not sending a high enough signal to your amp or there is some other issue.

Yeah something is wrong with the source or the Air. Like I've said it's pretty powerful (a lot more than the Opus #11 which does make the volume on the HE560 uncomfortable at about 60% volume). Although I didn't have the HE560 at the same time as the Air (or Airs as I've actually had two of them) it easily had enough power for my modded T50rp that needs about the same volume setting as the HE560 to reach similar volume.

May 14, 2018 at 5:49 AM Post #19,566 of 21,171
UD-301 can probably push 100mW @32 ohms is powered with 1kHz sine-waves, but with general music that would lower 1-2dB from the peaks. However, the average power should probably be somewhere around 80-85dBm, that means the peaks will be higher for sure.

Tyll did good measurements here https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE5602014.pdf and a power calculator might help too http://www.digizoid.com/headphones-power.html to see the exact power needed to drive the cans.

If HE-560 specs are having about 86dB/mW for 43 ohms, then the see below:
Listening Loudness Voltage Needed Current Needed Power Needed
Safe
85 dB SPL 0.18 Vrms 4.19 mA 0.75 mW
Moderate 100 dB SPL 1.04 Vrms 24.19 mA 25.15 mW
Fairly Loud 110 dB SPL 3.29 Vrms 76.51 mA 251.72 mW
Very Loud 115 dB SPL 5.85 Vrms 136.05 mA 795.87 mW
Painful 120 dB SPL 10.4 Vrms 241.86 mA 2515.35 mW

However, Tyll measured 2.53mW to get to 90dB, so that should be 25.3mW to get 100dB and 253mW to get to 110dB and 2.53W to get to 120dB. Please correct me if you think I'm wrong.

UD-301 will probably get a max. power of about 105dB or so with an average of 80dB would be a good guess, depending on the music (how compressed is it).

May 14, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #19,567 of 21,171
Yeah something is wrong with the source or the Air. Like I've said it's pretty powerful (a lot more than the Opus #11 which does make the volume on the HE560 uncomfortable at about 60% volume). Although I didn't have the HE560 at the same time as the Air (or Airs as I've actually had two of them) it easily had enough power for my modded T50rp that needs about the same volume setting as the HE560 to reach similar volume.

Just because someone's results don't live up to someone else's expectations is not an indicator of broken gear. I've been using my Conductor Air for over a year now with no problems and no, I never listen at full volume. 85/99 meant that the test was conducted at a volume setting of 85 out of 99. I'm not a spring chicken either, I was around for half of the 70s.

FYI - My Conductor Air becomes unbearably loud with my volume at:

Fostex T50RP = 80-90
Beyer DT880 (600) = 65-70
Sennheiser HD6xx = 55-60
Focal Listen = 35-40
IEMs = 20-35

I source off my Note8 at full media volume via OTG from Spotifiy on Extreme play settings or from Foobar Mobile with FLAC files. The intro of Eddie Money's "I Think I'm in Love" was used for the volume comparison between the HE560s and the T50RPs.

I also love the HE560s off my Burson Play/Burson Cable+/Schiit Lyr 2 configuration in case anyone thinks I don't like them.

One last question, why does Hifiman offer these in a HE-Adapter bundle if they don't need it then?

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #19,568 of 21,171
Just because someone's results don't live up to someone else's expectations is not an indicator of broken gear. I've been using my Conductor Air for over a year now with no problems and no, I never listen at full volume. 85/99 meant that the test was conducted at a volume setting of 85 out of 99. I'm not a spring chicken either, I was around for half of the 70s.

Fostex T50RP = 80-90
Sennheiser HD6xx = 55-60
Focal Listen = 35-40
IEMs = 20-35

I source off my Note8 at full media volume via OTG from Spotifiy on Extreme play settings or from Foobar Mobile with FLAC files. The intro of Eddie Money's "I Think I'm in Love" was used for the volume comparison between the HE560s and the T50RPs.

I also love the HE560s off my Burson Play/Burson Cable+/Schiit Lyr 2 configuration in case anyone thinks I don't like them.

One last question, why does Hifiman offer these in a HE-Adapter bundle if they don't need it then?
Listen as loud as you want man. No one has the right to tell you otherwise including me. I was out of line before and I stand corrected. I was just freaking out about the 140 dB comment you made. Lol. That’s just too funny as I used to listen to the levels in my younger years cruising down central in Phoenix in the late 70’s. My comfort level right now is 85 dB but my hearing is shot already, plus it’s fun to listen exactly at that level. To me, that’s when you can tell what your HP’s capabilities are....to me at least. Others will say at very low levels is when you can tell and that’s fine.

I also now understand you were talking about your car audio capabilities, not what you listen too at a consistent level. Even though that would sound like a live concert if clean. :metal:
Rock on brother.

May 14, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #19,569 of 21,171
Listen as loud as you want man. No one has the right to tell you otherwise including me. I was out of line before and I stand corrected. I was just freaking out about the 140 dB comment you made. Lol. That’s just too funny as I used to listen to the levels in my younger years cruising down central in Phoenix in the late 70’s. My comfort level right now is 85 dB but my hearing is shot already, plus it’s fun to listen exactly at that level. To me, that’s when you can tell what your HP’s capabilities are....to me at least. Others will say at very low levels is when you can tell and that’s fine.

I also now understand you were talking about your car audio capabilities, not what you listen too at a consistent level. Even though that would sound like a live concert if clean. :metal:
Rock on brother.

If only I could, I would. I would be lynched in my office rather quickly :)

Hearing damage is no joke either. I'm such a better listener at my current age and wish I hadn't substituted outrageous volumes in place of that in my youth :/ Loud bass, metal shows, and being in my own "garage band" has taken its toll which is obvious to me now. My hearing is still pretty great and I'd like to keep it that way too. The kid in me still wants to crank it up sometimes, but I totally agree with you.

Yes, the car is just like a concert :) Which is why it is dangerous while tempting too.

Thanks again for the input and rock on as well!

May 14, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #19,570 of 21,171

Fostex T50RP = 80-90
Sennheiser HD6xx = 55-60
Focal Listen = 35-40
IEMs = 20-35

I think I also miss interpreted your post about not getting enough volume, my apologies.

As for the HE-adapter its a special deal that Hifiman has with some dealers IIRC

May 14, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #19,572 of 21,171
Since I only have one amp that I am happy with with my HE560s, I'm putting some serious thought into a HE-Adapter and a solid state bookshelf amp. Anybody try this route?
He-adapter is only needed with a tube amp. ss power amps don’t require it. You just need a cable terminated w/ banana plugs. And a preamp for volume control of course

May 14, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #19,573 of 21,171
May 14, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #19,574 of 21,171
The HE-Adapter is used for running headphones of the speaker taps and has nothing to do with an amp being a tube or SS if this is the unit being referred to:
http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/he-adapter.html
You should stick to what you know. You use this when connecting to a tube amplifier as it has a resistor inside. You don’t need it on ss power amps.read the he6 thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back