= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Dec 9, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #18,481 of 21,171
Brahmsian,

Don't judge the HE560 with your current amplification. I think it's commonly recommended to have something that drives those headphones properly to achieve better sound quality. I think the Mac book and DF red just doesn't have sufficient juice.

Dec 9, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #18,482 of 21,171
@Brahmsian, I think my hearing changes by the hour, not by the day. I've noticed that I always turn down the volume in the morning from the last setting that it was on when I went to sleep, seems to be really too loud when I first get up. During the course of the day I notice that I seem to turn up the volume around the middle of the day and when its later in night or early mornings I tend to turn it down a bit. FWIW I've also noticed that my hearing is more sensitive to differences in the morning and seems to get less sensitive as the day goes along.

While I agree with @AlanU about the HE560 being somewhat amp dependent I don't agree that its for lack of "juice" with the DFR but a impedance issue between the DFR and HE560 since even something as low power as the headphone jack of the UD-301 (100mW) will get the HE560 to 85dB which is quite loud, for me anyway.

Dec 10, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #18,485 of 21,171
Are these discontinued?
Seems like they are phasing it out.

Audio is a world of diminishing returns just like many things in life. For the price I still feel the HE560 is an incredible steal. I've been "forcing" myself to listen to my modified HD800 and I still enjoy them enough to "keep". I prefer my modified HD800 over a pair of stock HD800S. However when I start listening to some of my music genre I enjoy between the HD800 with anax mod w/ new HD650 foam (filters out the high freq spike while maintaining a lot of air and open soundstage) the bone stock HE560 has a full bodies sound the HD800 (s) can never produce even with tube harmonics audio gear.

The little spendy but obtainable Hifiman edition X suits my ears extremely well and that is another HP on my shortlist.

The current price of the HE560 of 600bucks Canadian puts the audio sound quality of a extremely expensive $25,000++++++++ 2 channel hifi system in a pair sub $1000 cans. The beauty is that headphones requires little to no knowledge of room acoustics, reflection, power conditioning, cabling etc....just slap them on your head :)

HE560 seems like a no brainer in the headphone world. My ears have auditioned a lot of HP and I still feel many $1000+++ headphones are not a huge value until you hit the next tier level of extremely $$$$ headphones.

Dec 10, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #18,487 of 21,171
@Brahmsian, I think my hearing changes by the hour, not by the day. I've noticed that I always turn down the volume in the morning from the last setting that it was on when I went to sleep, seems to be really too loud when I first get up. During the course of the day I notice that I seem to turn up the volume around the middle of the day and when its later in night or early mornings I tend to turn it down a bit. FWIW I've also noticed that my hearing is more sensitive to differences in the morning and seems to get less sensitive as the day goes along.

While I agree with @AlanU about the HE560 being somewhat amp dependent I don't agree that its for lack of "juice" with the DFR but a impedance issue between the DFR and HE560 since even something as low power as the headphone jack of the UD-301 (100mW) will get the HE560 to 85dB which is quite loud, for me anyway.
I agree with your top statement regarding out hearing ability changes over time, and there are certain periods, it's degraded.

Regarding the impedance, the planars generally have low impedance(compared to a Sennheiser dynamic 650 or 600, being 45ohms in the case of HE560), and response is like a resistor, flat across the spectrum. The sensitivity is a bit on the lower side as spec'd on the product page being 90dB/mW. HE560 according to Tyll's measurements needs many time more wattage than the HD650 or the M1060, both needing .13mW to reach 90dB, but the HE560 needs 2.53. Yeah, it needs more power. Give it a powerful enough amp if something doesn't sound right.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2017 at 1:50 AM Post #18,491 of 21,171
Dec 15, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #18,492 of 21,171
Dec 15, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #18,493 of 21,171
Is there any inexpensive & decent quality balanced cable for the 560?

I got this one from Dyson Audio Interconnects on eBay for $40. It's 1.25 meter, 2.5mm TRRS terminated. I use it with my DAPs.

They're pretty responsive if you email them -- you could get it with 4-pin XLR termination -- probably for (nearly?) the same price. Similar cable available in 2m length for $53.

Here's their website if you prefer not to use eBay.

For a few bucks more, I've gotten several cables from Triton Audio Cables. Super fast service and very responsive. Took care of one problem very quickly and with zero hassles. $79 with free shipping. Quality is excellent, highly recommended.

Dec 15, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #18,495 of 21,171
I ordered a VE cable from veclan that Peter mentioned. As long as it does its job i'm fine :)

Fwiw I've got quite a few different ones from them and haven't had any issues whatsoever with them :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back