= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Nov 30, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #18,451 of 21,171
I'll have my set tomorrow. Reading these few post about coloration, do you think the FocusA pads would help with the treble anomalies?
I think the Focus A pads do exactly that. I got a second pair of 560s a couple of moths ago. I immediately replaced the pads with the A pads. For my desired tonality... taming the upper mid lower treble peakiness... they do help.

Dec 1, 2017 at 3:28 AM Post #18,452 of 21,171
I removed the DragonFly from the equation and plugged the headphone into the jack with an adapter. DragonFly seems to be exacerbating the treble. Not sure yet whether it's doing more harm than good. But don't be surprised if I have one up for sale soon. I can drive the headphone to adequate levels without it.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2017 at 5:24 AM Post #18,453 of 21,171
I think the Focus A pads do exactly that. I got a second pair of 560s a couple of moths ago. I immediately replaced the pads with the A pads. For my desired tonality... taming the upper mid lower treble peakiness... they do help.
That’s the answer I looking for. I have a pair that I originally bought for the 400i’s. But since I’ve sold them I can use them on my HE560’s when they arrive. I’ll try the 560’s stock first and if I don’t like the sound I know I have a trump card I can play.

Dec 1, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #18,455 of 21,171
Just received my HE-560's. I gave the original pads a go and found them on the bright side right off the bat. I switched to the Focus Pad A's and now we're in business. Everything is improved and it's a much better sound signature to my ears. I also tried the ZMF Ori pads but found them bright sounding as well. So the Focus Pad A's will be staying on. I'm listening to them out of my iDSD BL at the moment. I'll eventfully see how they sound with the Mojo. But for the now iDSD BL is a fantastic pairing.

For those of you wondering if the HE-560's is an improvement to the 400i's, which I just sold, I would say yes they are in every way to my ears. They do take a little more power to drive them but I'm okay with that because of the sonic improvement they have over the 400i's. I'll let them play for awhile before I pick them back up for another listen. For now I'm really liking what I'm hearing!

HE-560 and iDSD BL.jpg

Dec 1, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #18,456 of 21,171
Just received my HE-560's. I gave the original pads a go and found them on the bright side right off the bat. I switched to the Focus Pad A's and now we're in business. Everything is improved and it's a much better sound signature to my ears. I also tried the ZMF Ori pads but found them bright sounding as well. So the Focus Pad A's will be staying on. I'm listening to them out of my iDSD BL at the moment. I'll eventfully see how they sound with the Mojo. But for the now iDSD BL is a fantastic pairing.

For those of you wondering if the HE-560's is an improvement to the 400i's, which I just sold, I would say yes they are in every way to my ears. They do take a little more power to drive them but I'm okay with that because of the sonic improvement they have over the 400i's. I'll let them play for awhile before I pick them back up for another listen. For now I'm really liking what I'm hearing!

Welcome to the club! They sound amazing with the Mojo.

Dec 1, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #18,457 of 21,171
Welcome to the club! They sound amazing with the Mojo.
Thanks, I’ll probably try them with the Mojo tomorrow. I’m not a big believer in burn-in but on the card it’s says it takes about 150 hours of playtime to sound their best. I think they sound pretty good already.

Dec 1, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #18,458 of 21,171
Thanks, I’ll probably try them with the Mojo tomorrow. I’m not a big believer in burn-in but on the card it’s says it takes about 150 hours of playtime to sound their best. I think they sound pretty good already.

I have a very... Unique... Pair so I can't really comment about burn in, but I can say that they don't eventually sound awful. :)

Dec 2, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #18,460 of 21,171
@Slim1970, might want to try some attenuation rings to tune the bass, simple, free and reversible:

made from heavy card stock or hanging folders, you can try one or two to see what you like.
Thanks @DavidA I will give it a shot. In my short listen with the Focus Pad A's on the HE-560's I like the bass of them. Will using the attenuation rings add more bass or better define it?

Dec 2, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #18,461 of 21,171
Thanks @DavidA I will give it a shot. In my short listen with the Focus Pad A's on the HE-560's I like the bass of them. Will using the attenuation rings add more bass or better define it?
for me it seems to do both but I stayed with only one per side while my HE400i has two per side.

Dec 2, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #18,462 of 21,171
Questions: So my HE560 came with the Focus pad, which has perforations along the inside. Focus A does not have these perforations? Is that the extent of the difference? Sonically: the As tame the coloration in the treble? Finally, is there a reason Hi-fiMan releases them with the Focus pad instead of the A?

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #18,463 of 21,171
Questions: So my HE560 came with the Focus pad, which has perforations along the inside. Focus A does not have these perforations? Is that the extent of the difference? Sonically: the As tame the coloration in the treble? Finally, is there a reason Hi-fiMan releases them with the Focus pad instead of the A?
The Focus-A has a different material that is like a thick elastic material.
The original HE560 were shipped with Focus-A pads but I think it was only on pre-orders. I can't remember the reason for going with the Focus after but I know its posted somewhere in this thread but since the search function doesn't work for me I don't quite know how to find it.

Dec 3, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #18,464 of 21,171
The Focus-A has a different material that is like a thick elastic material.
Thanks, Dave. PMed you with more pad questions if you don't mind.

I took your advice and bent the headband such that I separated the ear cups from each other. Maybe I overdid it a little bit, but I do find that it's reversible. They are much more comfortable now. It also sounds like the soundstage got a little wider, but I would have to do more listening to say for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back