= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Dec 3, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #18,466 of 21,171
Three years ago when I had these for the first time I did some pad experiments and I just dug back to page 519-20 of this thread to remind me that I found out that the focusA pads with their the cloth film (in the opening) removed was the best of both worlds. I’m going to try it again tonight.

Dec 3, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #18,467 of 21,171
Does anyone know if there are plans to upgrade the HE-560’s? With the recent price drops and I’ve seen some sights saying these were discontinued is leading me to believe that the HE-560’s are about to replaced. I was about to pull the plug and get a pair but now I think I’ll wait.
You would think they need a $800 model. Like the original 560 price.

Dec 3, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #18,468 of 21,171
You would think they need a $800 model. Like the original 560 price.
Just a little worried since I just got my HE560's. Normally extended price drops = new products. I would like to enjoy mine for a few months before something new comes along. But on some occasions new doesn't always mean better. So I got that going me. :ksc75smile:

Dec 5, 2017 at 3:42 AM Post #18,471 of 21,171
After getting two big batches of the 560s from Hifiman at the discounted price, apparently the Headphone Bar can no longer order more – as of this past week or so. A replacement model could ostensibly arrive at any time now.
When you say replacement model are you saying the HE560 is about to be replaced with something new?

Dec 6, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #18,472 of 21,171
Just a little worried since I just got my HE560's. Normally extended price drops = new products. I would like to enjoy mine for a few months before something new comes along. But on some occasions new doesn't always mean better. So I got that going me. :ksc75smile:
Just sincerely curious. If you like the 560, why would you suddenly not "enjoy" the 560 if they released another model? I have headphones like the HD 600 and 650 that are quite old now, I still enjoy them even though I have many newer and more expensive headphones.

Dec 6, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #18,473 of 21,171
Just sincerely curious. If you like the 560, why would you suddenly not "enjoy" the 560 if they released another model?

If they just purchased the 560, they might be disappointed to learn that it is being replaced by another model, one that is potentially better, although the only upcoming model I know about is the Sundara, which seems to be replacing both the 400i and 560. I say that because its price point is I think exactly what the 400i used to sell for and what the 560 sells for now. The 560 I think used to sell for $899, but HFM now has the Edition X, which is currently selling at $1,199. So I question whether HFM will bring out another $899 headphone. But we'll see.

As for enjoying the 560, to me this headphone falls a bit more toward the analytical side of things, in contrast to the 400i, which I find to be less proficient but more euphonic.

Dec 6, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #18,474 of 21,171
If they just purchased the 560, they might be disappointed to learn that it is being replaced by another model, one that is potentially better,....

Yes there was an obvious inference to this in his post. I just wonder why. This is not unique, I have read similar sentiments before. But I want to "get it". I appreciate you answering for @Slim1970 , but it is not what I was looking for.

Dec 6, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #18,475 of 21,171
Just sincerely curious. If you like the 560, why would you suddenly not "enjoy" the 560 if they released another model? I have headphones like the HD 600 and 650 that are quite old now, I still enjoy them even though I have many newer and more expensive headphones.
I'm not saying I wouldn't enjoy it. I enjoy them quite a bit actually. I had some head time with them earlier and they are sounding really good. It would just bother me knowing that the model I JUST bought got replaced. Even though I know they have been out for awhile now and aren't necessarily new but they are new to me. But that feeling would pass and I would enjoy the HE560's just the same. I guess it's just the nature of the business. But I bought the HE560's knowing that could happen because to me they do sound better than the HE400i's that I replaced them with. So I'm very pleased with my purchase.

Dec 8, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #18,478 of 21,171
I'm not saying I wouldn't enjoy it. I enjoy them quite a bit actually. I had some head time with them earlier and they are sounding really good. It would just bother me knowing that the model I JUST bought got replaced. Even though I know they have been out for awhile now and aren't necessarily new but they are new to me. But that feeling would pass and I would enjoy the HE560's just the same. I guess it's just the nature of the business. But I bought the HE560's knowing that could happen because to me they do sound better than the HE400i's that I replaced them with. So I'm very pleased with my purchase.

I think your on spot the 560's, they are worlds apart from the 400's which I do also enjoy, now that the X2's are priced right, well that's my next hp's, after that the Clear's are on my radar..

Dec 9, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #18,479 of 21,171
I have just added the HE 560’s to my HE 500’s; I run them as my reference hp’s through Violectric DAC and Amps. I am very pleased so far with the 560’s they have a very different sound/dynamic to the 500’s, but they are very useful for long sessions of relaxed listening. For portable use, they will be paired with a Chord Hugo, or an iFi DSD.

Dec 9, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #18,480 of 21,171
The 400i was out well before the 560.
I don't understand that claim considering there is this post from HifiMan:
Tinyman is correct. We are focusing on getting the HE-560 perfect and into production HE-400i will follow.

Here at the Newport Show, response to both models has been excellent.

Best estimate on timing is HE-560 in production in June and HE-400i in July. Those are targets and subject to change.

HE-400i sounds quite different then HE-400. In hindsight, it probably should have had its own model #.

Peter
Comments at the beginning of the present thread also seem to back that up. Anyhow, I also want to take issue with something I posted previously:
I removed the DragonFly from the equation and plugged the headphone into the jack with an adapter. DragonFly seems to be exacerbating the treble. Not sure yet whether it's doing more harm than good. But don't be surprised if I have one up for sale soon. I can drive the headphone to adequate levels without it.
I wrote the above after comments I made about the HE560's treble sounding a little artificial. To see what difference it would make, I stopped using the DragonFly Red and just plugged the headphones directly into my MacBook. The treble sounded better to me than with the DragonFly. However, the other day I got instructions from a fellow Head-fier for new filter setting on Audirvana (the audio player I always use on my MacBook). I reset the filter parameters and introduced the DragonFly Red back into the chain just to see how it would sound. Sonic memory is so short that I wouldn't swear to it, but it really seems like the sound improved considerably and the treble, while still a tad emphasized, now sounds a lot more extended and refined. I'm mentioning this because I don't want to be unfair to the DragonFly Red (or the HE560 for that matter). Right now the culprit seems to be my old filter settings, not the DragonFly. Audio is very hard to judge because there are so many variables even on a system as simple as mine. Not only that, but sometimes I think that my hearing changes from day to day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back