= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jan 4, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #14,911 of 21,175
I think I am already in love with the way it is right now. Listening to ASMR videos which I recently stumbled upon amazes me. It is so lifelike if I close my eyes I feel like the person is actually beside me. A little creepy actually.

Jan 4, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #14,912 of 21,175
Another one who used the HE-560 as the gateway drug to the HE-1000 here...
smily_headphones1.gif

Don't tell me that...  :)

Mike

Jan 4, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #14,913 of 21,175
Jan 4, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #14,914 of 21,175
  I think I am already in love with the way it is right now. Listening to ASMR videos which I recently stumbled upon amazes me. It is so lifelike if I close my eyes I feel like the person is actually beside me. A little creepy actually.

You should also follow the used listings here for DACs. I would say that expanding your budget responsibly on a DAC you will be pleased with is always worth considering as it can of course be used in both a speaker and headphone based system simultaneously so the investment has more ways to pay you back.

I had a nice Schiit Guingnir for 3 years (not the multi-bit) and quite liked it. Before that I used an Audiolab DAC. Since moving to the NAD M51 I am content for quite some time, and if it is another 3 years before I can afford to try a new sound signature I will be just fine. I would suggest you read up on the M51 and see if it catches your attention as it did mine. I have seen a few going used here very reasonably. The member who sold me his M51 to fund another more expensive DAC purchase let me know that within a few months time he went out and bought another M51 as he just missed the musicality of it.

Whatever you do, of course be responsible, but it is always cheaper in the mid/long run to spend more if it means getting what will please you. While experimenting is fun, if you buy and try several $300-$500 DACs, each time taking a little loss selling them only to arrive at the purchase of the $1500 DAC you really wanted you have killed off some money. Adain, for many people, including me, I have had to incrementally move to better gear, but if I wasn't in a tight financial position, and knowing that I will eventually invest the funds anyway, I say skip the entry level and buy sold mid-fi gear (or better if you can and want to do so).

While it isn't a straight relationship between cost and quality, there most certainly is more often than not a solid relationship. The most important thing is to know what attributes you most value, research the hell out of things, try before you buy if possible and then make the move you feel is right for you. Ultimately you always take a gamble, but with some research and common sense expectations the risk should be quite minimal. Good luck. 

Jan 4, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #14,915 of 21,175
Good advice...problem is, if you can't just audition everything near your home, you have no way to know what kind of sound sig you like without trying things out. While trying out various low and mid level headphones cost me more than if I had jumped to the "good stuff" right away, I learned a lot about the different SQs and what I liked, so when moving up, I'm a bit more educated. Education comes at a cost, unfortunately...

Jan 4, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #14,916 of 21,175
^ Absolutely, I agree, but I think even when trying first there is always a risk. And yes, for certain you can make the same mistake with a better DAC as you can with a less pedigreed one, but with solid research I still feel the risks are reasonable. I actually did enjoy trying and selling, but at least for me, if I could have, I would have put more resources down earlier in the game and spent less time second guessing myself and selling gear. Still, I know that approach isn't for everyone and your advice is solid as always.

Jan 4, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #14,917 of 21,175
Hey, unless you audition, you never really know what you are getting before you get it, and even with auditions at meets or at shops, I've found stuff I loved in a quick listen I didn't love so much when I got it home. You can definitely ****** up either way, or get lucky and hit it out of the park on the first try.
What a long, strange trip it's been...(Dead quote of the day :wink: )

Jan 4, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #14,919 of 21,175
^^
rolleyes.gif

Deadheads ...

Jan 4, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #14,920 of 21,175
[CONTENTEMBED=/t/711824/hifiman-he-560-impressions-discussion-thread/14910#post_12221589 layout=inline]^^ :rolleyes: [/CONTENTEMBED]
[CONTENTEMBED=/t/711824/hifiman-he-560-impressions-discussion-thread/14910#post_12221589 layout=inline]Deadheads ...[/CONTENTEMBED]
[CONTENTEMBED=/t/711824/hifiman-he-560-impressions-discussion-thread/14910#post_12221589 layout=inline]^^ :rolleyes: [/CONTENTEMBED]
[CONTENTEMBED=/t/711824/hifiman-he-560-impressions-discussion-thread/14910#post_12221589 layout=inline]Deadheads ...[/CONTENTEMBED]

:)

Jan 5, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #14,921 of 21,175
I received the metal rings and new focus pads yesterday. I rediscover my HE-560! My old pads were in very poor condition, and the metal ring gives a very good performance.

At first I was  scared that the holes do not match.(see photo), but in fact I had not turned out as it should be
dt880smile.png

Jan 5, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #14,922 of 21,175
  ^^ Yes, it seems everybody loves the H10 with the 560. I have never heard anybody not endorse the combination. I loved my Yulong A18 with the 560, that was also a stellar combination. Really enjoying my 400i now.

Hear me then, I dislike the H10/560 pairing
tongue.gif
 But then again I actually found myself to dislike the H10. It was technically quite efficient, but ended up feeling cold and somehow lifeless to me.

Jan 5, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #14,923 of 21,175
Quick, possibly dumb question. Do the revised HE-560 (the one in the leather box and 2.5mm connectors) come with the Focus or Focus-A pads? Does it have the plastic or metal ring? I'm currently at work so I can't check nor would I know the difference between the pads.

Jan 5, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #14,924 of 21,175
  Quick, possibly dumb question. Do the revised HE-560 (the one in the leather box and 2.5mm connectors) come with the Focus or Focus-A pads? Does it have the plastic or metal ring? I'm currently at work so I can't check nor would I know the difference between the pads.

I guess : focus pads (not "A") and yes, metal rings.

Jan 5, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #14,925 of 21,175

Hear me then, I dislike the H10/560 pairing
tongue.gif
 But then again I actually found myself to dislike the H10. It was technically quite efficient, but ended up feeling cold and somehow lifeless to me.

Well, be that as it may, you are most certainly in the minority on this issue and the first to say this that I have come across. Different strokes for different folks as they say. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back