= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jan 2, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #14,881 of 21,171
  First impressions on HE-560 w/ NFB-11 (2014) w/ TCXO & 35w upgrade is that the bass is definitely a step up from DT880, I don't think I have to say anything about bass as it is very extended with quick and adequate amount for all genres. I don't know what to say about the mids really, but highs are very extended and airy which was something I was looking for. General sound signature is neutral with a hint a brightness. After listening to a couple of hours, the sound reproduction feels very different compared to dyanmic headphones. It is very detailed and accurate, it sometimes hurts my ears listening to it, especially modern recordings.
Classical, Jazz and other instrumentals sound fabulous, but pop sometimes sounds sibilant and trance is too sibilant to listen without EQ. Bringing down 10Khz is my temp. solution, but warm SS will probably resolve this. I guess this is the part when NFB-11 is not the greatest match. Soundstage is adequate, but not big enough for my expectation and sound feels congested, even more than DT880. Comfort wise, the clamp force is there, but the headphones itself is very light. Long listening session is no problem for me.
First impression is not mind blowing for me, but I guess I could live with these for a while and get myself a H-10 or Polaris in the future. If you are looking to pair up NFB-11 w/ HE-560, I am not going to say don't, however HE-560 may sound lean and congested.

All I can say that IMO, I am not getting a "full" sound with NFB-11 which I expected from all the reviews which leads me to believe I need to get a warmer amp with more power. The more I listen to different genres, the more I am convinced I need a different amp.

Focus-A pads are a must. Adds a touch of warmth and tones down the energy and ringing around 4kHz. Not enough to change the overall character of the headphone, but I found it to help with the compressed program material. It should be noted that even though the DT880 has a leaner presentation, the HE-560 still has more energy here than the DT880. And as others have reported, you may have luck experimenting beyond HiFiMan's earpads.

Everyone experiences soundstage differently, but I would guess the amp could be at fault in that area as well. I don't have any experience with the NFB-11. In any case, I found the HE-560 soundstage to be more cohesive than the DT880. Closer, yes, but more overall depth.

Jan 2, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #14,882 of 21,171
The cans are brand new, so I should probably let it smooth out over time and let my brain get used to the new planar sound. HE-560 is truly something different from everything I've tried. I will keep on listening and if it doesn't smooth out over weeks to come, maybe it will be a adequate time to invest in a seperate DAC w/ H10.

Jan 2, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #14,884 of 21,171
Also, thanks for mentioning Focus-a pads. I should probably get that first.

My focus a pads just gave on me finally wearing down to tearing, and I am so bummed because my ears point and are slightly larger than average so they so not fit as well in the other focus pads. As far as personal preference goes I can vouch for the comfort and they sound a bit better to me with the focus a pads. 

Man I forgot how well the DX90(lurker firmware) out to the Ibasso pb2 balanced headphone out to my modded he-560's  sounds fantastic. The Ibasso Pb2 really drives the he-560 well and sounds wonderful. Just in case someone was looking into the getting a smaller sized amp for when away from the desktop and elsewhere in the house.

Jan 2, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #14,885 of 21,171
Thoroughly enjoyed my time with these headphones.

You can find my impressions and a short review here:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/hifiman-he-560/reviews/14925

Jan 2, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #14,886 of 21,171
Nice review Sil3nce IMO i would probably swap scores between mids and bass but i dont have experience in other TOTL headphones.

Quick question for other 560 owners. I saw few posts mentioning modded 560, could u please elaborate what kind of mods did u do to your headphones? Dont bother if it's ony grill and focus A pads.

Jan 2, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #14,887 of 21,171
Really well written review Sil3nce.
biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #14,888 of 21,171
  Nice review Sil3nce IMO i would probably swap scores between mids and bass but i dont have experience in other TOTL headphones.

Quick question for other 560 owners. I saw few posts mentioning modded 560, could u please elaborate what kind of mods did u do to your headphones? Dont bother if it's ony grill and focus A pads.

I think this about covers it: http://www.head-fi.org/t/738912/he-560-enhancement-mod-v1-5

Jan 2, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #14,890 of 21,171
  Thoroughly enjoyed my time with these headphones.

You can find my impressions and a short review here:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/hifiman-he-560/reviews/14925

Really an excellent review that is a pleasure too read. Congratulations and thank you for sharing your opinions about the HE-560.

Two questions for you off I may.

FIRST:
I also have the Mojo, and I wonder how you feel about the pairing between the Mojo and the HE-560.

SECOND: 
What type of music you listened with the HE-560? Do you listen to modern recording including rock, punk, indie, post-rock, metal and electronica or just "good audiophile" recordings? I listen to a lot of modern music.

I just placed an order of the HE-560 given the year end promotion and after reading your review. The only other "expensive" headphones I have are the Grado PS500e and the IEM AKG K3003 (I use the white filters) so this HE-560 may be an interesting variant but keeping the nice aspects of the other HPs I have. I love a HP with dynamic sound that is airy and detailed, can tolerate modern recordings without being too harsh and have good impact in the bass but not over pronounced. The only worry about the HE-560 is that some describe it too "sterile" and not fun to listen to. I hope the HE-560 sounds "musical" while being airy and detailed.

Thank you very much.

Jan 2, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #14,891 of 21,171
  First impressions on HE-560 w/ NFB-11 (2014) w/ TCXO & 35w upgrade is that the bass is definitely a step up from DT880, I don't think I have to say anything about bass as it is very extended with quick and adequate amount for all genres. I don't know what to say about the mids really, but highs are very extended and airy which was something I was looking for. General sound signature is neutral with a hint a brightness. After listening to a couple of hours, the sound reproduction feels very different compared to dyanmic headphones. It is very detailed and accurate, it sometimes hurts my ears listening to it, especially modern recordings.
Classical, Jazz and other instrumentals sound fabulous, but pop sometimes sounds sibilant and trance is too sibilant to listen without EQ. Bringing down 10Khz is my temp. solution, but warm SS will probably resolve this. I guess this is the part when NFB-11 is not the greatest match. Soundstage is adequate, but not big enough for my expectation and sound feels congested, even more than DT880. Comfort wise, the clamp force is there, but the headphones itself is very light. Long listening session is no problem for me.
First impression is not mind blowing for me, but I guess I could live with these for a while and get myself a H-10 or Polaris in the future. If you are looking to pair up NFB-11 w/ HE-560, I am not going to say don't, however HE-560 may sound lean and congested.

All I can say that IMO, I am not getting a "full" sound with NFB-11 which I expected from all the reviews which leads me to believe I need to get a warmer amp with more power. The more I listen to different genres, the more I am convinced I need a different amp.

I never liked my NFB-11 with the 560. Even though the HP amp is pretty laid back, the Sabre DAC implementation just has too much of the glare sometimes associated with that chip. That is what I used when I received the 560s. It made me cringe a bit too. I wondered why people like these. I was not new to planars either. I had been using the he 400, He500, and then the 400i for a few months before getting the 560.Somebody mentioned pads. I think the Focus A pads go a long way towards taming the 4 K rise that is likely the source of some of your issues with the 560. The system I have been using with my set if the Pulse Infinity into the H10. It took me a while to get to a place where I like the 560. With the right stuff upstream and some listening time, you will likely be surprised (coming from where you are now) how really good the headphones can be.

My interim solution was driving a Sunrise III from an Emotiva DC-1. Using a nice Mullard 12AU7 from 1949 made thing much better for me and my 560s. I found that pretty much everything I tried was better than the NFB-11. This surprised me as I liked the NFB-11 just fine with phones like the HD600, X2 and 400/400i.

BTW, knowing that you liked the HD650 with the NFB-11, which I found way too dark, I can see where the 560 would take some getting used to for you.

Jan 2, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #14,892 of 21,171

I never liked my NFB-11 with the 560. Even though the HP amp is pretty laid back, the Sabre DAC implementation just has too much of the glare sometimes associated with that chip. That is what I used when I received the 560s. It made me cringe a bit too. I wondered why people like these. I was not new to planars either. I had been using the he 400, He500, and then the 400i for a few months before getting the 560.Somebody mentioned pads. I think the Focus A pads go a long way towards taming the 4 K rise that is likely the source of some of your issues with the 560. The system I have been using with my set if the Pulse Infinity into the H10. It took me a while to get to a place where I like the 560. With the right stuff upstream and some listening time, you will likely be surprised (coming from where you are now) how really good the headphones can be.

BTW, knowing that you liked the HD650 with the NFB-11, which I found way too dark, I can see where the 560 would take some getting used to for you.

I recently listened to the HD650 to give a chance, but it also felt way too dark for me as I have accustomed to a bright/V signature. I think I would have to agree with you there about the NFB-11 adding some glare. It is just not a great match with it and I don't think pads or burn-in can fix this issue. Everything sounds a little artificial due to extra sparkle added to a can that is already full of detail and neutral. That being said, I really need to get myself a H10 that everyone has been craving about. 

Jan 2, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #14,893 of 21,171
Hey mandrake50, I noticed that you also had Polaris at certain point. Can you give a brief comparison of Polaris and H10? I am slightly worried about the lack of treble on H10 without rolling op-amp which I do not want to spend money on. Also, in your experience does Polaris or H10 fix the issue of sounding harsh and thin w/ NFB-11 pairing?

Jan 2, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #14,894 of 21,171
  Hey mandrake50, I noticed that you also had Polaris at certain point. Can you give a brief comparison of Polaris and H10? I am slightly worried about the lack of treble on H10 without rolling op-amp which I do not want to spend money on. Also, in your experience does Polaris or H10 fix the issue of sounding harsh and thin w/ NFB-11 pairing?

Having had the H10 (and love it, still regret selling it) - I don't think it there is a lack of treble. There is slightly less treble but it's certainly not lacking. I think it's the perfect companion for there HE560 - if you want to go with a headphone amp and not a speaker amp with HE-Adapter.

Cheers,
K

Jan 3, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #14,895 of 21,171

Having had the H10 (and love it, still regret selling it) - I don't think it there is a lack of treble. There is slightly less treble but it's certainly not lacking. I think it's the perfect companion for there HE560 - if you want to go with a headphone amp and not a speaker amp with HE-Adapter.

Cheers,
K

I guess H10 is the winner from all reviews, even better than Polaris as some claim. If it does not roll off treble too much, it will be perfect for me. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back