= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Nov 23, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #14,611 of 21,175
  Yes, those screw on connectors has gotten loose a few times and was surprised it took a long time for HiFiMAN to change it.

I'm just as surprised. I refuse to believe that people didn't complain enough about them the first time around to warrant considering a redesign. Yet they somehow made another couple generations of headphones after the first batch with the same annoying coax connectors. About time they changed them to something more practical.

Nov 23, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #14,612 of 21,175

You have a quite a severe aggression towards the old box. Which for the record, I have literally NONE of the problems you had. My lid DOESN'T slide out if I tilt it, there ISN'T a screw that protrudes through the lid, and I dunno what the heck happened to yours but mine came with exactly the same padding system as in the pictures above. I never said this new one is any worse, I simply said I preferred the look of the old one better.

I could argue with you about this, but it's a matter of differing experiences and opinions which would render such an argument completely pointless. While pointless arguments are a mainstay of the internet, I like to think we're better than that here on Head-Fi. Find a shoe box and and some foam and carve yourself your own box since you obviously know you can design something better to put your headphone into. Many Head-Fiers are quite resourceful and I suspect you believe yourself to be the same. So go do that and show us what you make. I'm sure others would like to know how to make a nicer box if they, like you, feel the original isn't up to snuff.

Oh, I guess my tone didn't come across.  It's not a serious aggression, which I reserve for more deserving targets than boxes.  And if the headphones were poor I'd be serious but not aggressive: just return them and post about my reasons for returning.

The shoebox comment is just another dig at the box, though I will probably do that.  I wasn't boasting of my foam-carving ability, and I don't really have any idea of how it ranks, though I enjoy it.  I don't need anything insignificant as this to be up to snuff or better.  I just find something like the failure of a box to be a little funny.  The last thing I meant was to start a serious discussion about it.

Nov 23, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #14,614 of 21,175

Oh, I guess my tone didn't come across very well.  It's not a very serious aggression, which I reserve mostly for more deserving targets than a box.  And if the headphones were poor I'd be serious but not aggressive: just return return them and post about the reasons for returning.

The shoebox thing is just a dig on the box too.  I wasn't boasting of my foam-carving ability, and I don't really have any idea of how it ranks, though I enjoy it.  And I don't need anything insignificant as this to be up to snuff or better.  I just find something like the failure of a box to be a little funny.  The last thing I meant was to start a serious discussion about it.

Lol, my inclinations are all joking jabs anyway. I do agree with you about boxes. Like think about it, some sort of rectangular prism that has enough structural support and some padding inside that actually provides protection. That shouldn't be all that hard right? Shipping companies have been doing it for years! Just change the cardboard to wood and presto! Working packaging haha
tongue.gif

Nov 26, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #14,615 of 21,175
I've started working my way through this monster thread - please forgive me if my questions duplicate issues already discussed. I'm considering picking up a 560 via black friday deal, but would love some guidance.

I listen to a variety of music - jazz, blues, rock - but my primary listening interest at present is classical piano.

My first foray into hifi was a year ago: AK100ii and Sennheiser HD650. I've been loving both, but it's really all I know. I want to branch out now.

My questions:

• Is the 560 a good choice for classical piano?

• Assuming I grab the 560, and assuming I can only buy one additional thing for now, what would be the next logical step? I'm thinking a desktop amp. I'm thinking the AK100ii's DAC might be sufficient, but that it's amp might not be enough for the 560.

• Assuming I'm right about #2, what desktop amp might make sense for both the 560 and my HD650? Is there one that would serve them both well, still keeping in mind that classical piano is my #1 listening priority? I'm pretty open to any suggestion, but if that's too wide open, I can mention that my initial bias is to not yet jump into tube land, and that I might want to stay sub $500 ... unless there's a dramatic leap I can't live without at a higher price point.

Nov 26, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #14,616 of 21,175
I haven't tried it with the 560, but I just received the Liquid Carbon, it's a bit out of that range ($599), but I'd think would drive the 560 well (better than most amps about that price or less...I do like my MicroZOTL better, but now we're breaking $1k). My experience is that underpowered, the 560 can sound a bit harsh and edgy.

Nov 26, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #14,617 of 21,175
Is the 560 a good choice for classical piano?

I've played piano for over 15 years, so I have a decent idea of what they're supposed to sound like.

The HE-560 does well with classical piano. It brings out the sweetness in pianos that tend that way. Bass is of course excellent - you get the feel for the richness in the lowest octaves of a large concert grand - something that is missing in many headphones. The low mid-range is just a hair too forward; but this is a problem that the majority of headphones suffer from. Staging is good. For me, many headphones make piano sound like the music is just emanating out of the air; with the HE-560, you get a sense of being seated a couple rows back in a moderately sized hall.

By way of comparison I like it better than the DT 880 and much, much, MUCH better than the T1 gen 2. The T1 made piano sound like ****. I note that you already have the HD 650; I haven't heard it, so I'm not sure if the HE-560 will be better or not. My view is that you should be prepared for a side-grade. Some things may be better with the HE-560, other less so.

On that subject, if I had to point out one flaw of the HE-560, it would be the slightly uneven upper mid-range. The area from 1-3kHz is just a bit too recessed, while 4-8kHz is just a bit too forward. Not hugely noticable, and not a big deal, though. Just an area where other headphones perform a bit better.

Nov 27, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #14,618 of 21,175
I'm thinking of purchasing an HE-560 during the Black Friday sale.

Is anyone currently using one with a Pulse Infinity, and if so, how do well do they pair together? 

Can the HE-560 be purchased with a balanced (4 pin) XLR cable, or is that extra? 

(I currently use an HD600 with my Infinity.)

Thanks!

Nov 27, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #14,620 of 21,175

I've played piano for over 15 years, so I have a decent idea of what they're supposed to sound like.

The HE-560 does well with classical piano. It brings out the sweetness in pianos that tend that way. Bass is of course excellent - you get the feel for the richness in the lowest octaves of a large concert grand - something that is missing in many headphones. The low mid-range is just a hair too forward; but this is a problem that the majority of headphones suffer from. Staging is good. For me, many headphones make piano sound like the music is just emanating out of the air; with the HE-560, you get a sense of being seated a couple rows back in a moderately sized hall.

By way of comparison I like it better than the DT 880 and much, much, MUCH better than the T1 gen 2. The T1 made piano sound like ****. I note that you already have the HD 650; I haven't heard it, so I'm not sure if the HE-560 will be better or not. My view is that you should be prepared for a side-grade. Some things may be better with the HE-560, other less so.

On that subject, if I had to point out one flaw of the HE-560, it would be the slightly uneven upper mid-range. The area from 1-3kHz is just a bit too recessed, while 4-8kHz is just a bit too forward. Not hugely noticable, and not a big deal, though. Just an area where other headphones perform a bit better.

May I ask what amp / dac you're using? Thanks for the reply!

Nov 27, 2015 at 1:14 AM Post #14,621 of 21,175
I haven't tried it with the 560, but I just received the Liquid Carbon, it's a bit out of that range ($599), but I'd think would drive the 560 well (better than most amps about that price or less...I do like my MicroZOTL better, but now we're breaking $1k). My experience is that underpowered, the 560 can sound a bit harsh and edgy.

If you get around to trying the Liquid Carbon with the 560, don't be shy about sharing your thoughts! Thanks for the reply!

Nov 27, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #14,623 of 21,175
I have the vanilla pulse. Love the dac section but the amp is a little thin . Nice bass but the miss lack density. Grizzly beast has the infinity version and he was looking to buy another amp as well. The he560 was ok on my pulse not great. It was my zmfs that made me move the pulse to dac duty. They sounded chaotic with the pulse amp section.

Nov 27, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #14,624 of 21,175

If you get around to trying the Liquid Carbon with the 560, don't be shy about sharing your thoughts! Thanks for the reply!

Have to say, since I got the HE-1000, don't listen to any over or on ear headphones at home (some others that are light for outdoor use here and there), but I still have most of the collection (have sold 2 cans, Q701 and Senn 650, will probably sell more), but I'll try to find some time this holiday weekend to check out the 560/LC combo. Knowing them both separately, though, can't imagine they won't sound fine together.

Nov 27, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #14,625 of 21,175
I am still waiting for my LCs to arrive here in SEA..arrived at the courier last Thurs..shipped to me by Monday..so hoping to receive it this weekend..hopefully they will pair well with the 560..I am currently using iCAN and iTube to drive my 560.  I will be able to provide feedback next week..since I need to burn-in the amp once I receive it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back