= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 24, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #13,802 of 21,179
I'm planning on getting the HE-560 with the EF-100. Apparently the EF-100 is built for the HE-560. Can anyone tell me how the two pairs with each other.

I had a chance to briefly demo the pair with the stock tube. It definitely drives the cans without a trouble. As for the sound, I would say it's halfway between a tube and ss amp. It adds good warmth to the sound and still retains accuracy/clarity like a ss amp. Can't speak for the dac section though as I was hooked up to a $1000 dac at the time. Nice pairing overall I think.

Jul 24, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #13,803 of 21,179
I had a chance to briefly demo the pair with the stock tube. It definitely drives the cans without a trouble. As for the sound, I would say it's halfway between a tube and ss amp. It adds good warmth to the sound and still retains accuracy/clarity like a ss amp. Can't speak for the dac section though as I was hooked up to a $1000 dac at the time. Nice pairing overall I think.

I heard this combo briefly at a local shop too and I liked it. Great dynamics and weightiness to the notes. It was hooked to a more expensive DAC as well (I hear the built in DAC is quite lackluster). The two things I didn't like about the EF100 were 1) the lack of a gain switch (can't drive more sensitive headphones/earphones) and 2) the limited steps on the volume knob (can't fine tune volume as much as I'd like). 

Jul 24, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #13,805 of 21,179
I have the magni/modi setup for my HD650. Do you guys think the modi would be sufficent with the HE-560 and EF-100?

A DAC is a DAC, you'll hear sound through. Will the HE560 perform better with a better DAC? Yes. The Modi is an entry level audiophile DAC but for the price it's not bad. To really hear a difference you'd have to jump to the $300-$400 range IMO, maybe something like a Mousai MSD192? The Wolfson chip pairs extremely well wih the HE560. However if you want to really dive in, I recommend getting an R2R or ladder resistor DAC (look at MHDT Labs -- Havana or Pagoda).

Jul 24, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #13,806 of 21,179
Can anyone give a good recommendation for a balanced cable? If there was anything it would do to the sound signature would be more bass. Going to be getting the Liquid Carbon soon!

Jul 24, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #13,807 of 21,179
I have the magni/modi setup for my HD650. Do you guys think the modi would be sufficent with the HE-560 and EF-100?

I'm going to go another route and suggest you beef up your amp with something like the Gustard H10 and leave the DAC for now. I suspect the greater driver control you should expect from the Gustard will be more apparent than changing DACs (unless you spend quite a bit more on a DAC than the Modi). As I'm sure you have noticed there is contention about how much of an amp is required to really bring the 560 to life, but as the Gustard is reasonably priced, and very well reviewed by 560 owners I would at least consider this as an option.

Jul 25, 2015 at 2:25 AM Post #13,808 of 21,179
  Can anyone give a good recommendation for a balanced cable? If there was anything it would do to the sound signature would be more bass. Going to be getting the Liquid Carbon soon!

The Norne Audio Draug v2 will do all that and more. Not only does the bass impact and extension improve markedly, it sounds much cleaner and precise. The midrange also sounds more fuller and cleaner while the treble sounds a bit more relaxed and natural.

I have been using the Draug v2 for quite a while and for my money is the best cable for the HE-560.

Jul 25, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #13,809 of 21,179

I got a c3Audio (Charleston Cable Company) balanced cable - the cheapest version they make. These cables are terrific even though 14 gauge lamp cord is better.

http://www.c3audio.com/store/p29/HiFiMAN_Headphone_Cable_--%C2%A0CANARE.html

My Oppo HA-1 amp produces 4X more power on its balanced output, so buying new cables was a reasonable decision. The HE-560s are surprisingly power hungry, defying their 40 ohm DC resistance.

o2smile.gif

Jul 25, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #13,810 of 21,179

I got a c3Audio (Charleston Cable Company) balanced cable - the cheapest version they make. These cables are terrific even though 14 gauge lamp cord is better.

http://www.c3audio.com/store/p29/HiFiMAN_Headphone_Cable_--%C2%A0CANARE.html

My Oppo HA-1 amp produces 4X more power on its balanced output, so buying new cables was a reasonable decision. The HE-560s are surprisingly power hungry, defying their 40 ohm DC resistance.

o2smile.gif

Power hungry? 1 W RMS takes you to 120 dB SPL, continuously.

Jul 25, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #13,811 of 21,179
The Norne Audio Draug v2 will do all that and more. Not only does the bass impact and extension improve markedly, it sounds much cleaner and precise. The midrange also sounds more fuller and cleaner while the treble sounds a bit more relaxed and natural.

I have been using the Draug v2 for quite a while and for my money is the best cable for the HE-560.

X2, +1 The Draug 2 is very synergistic with the 560. Loving my balanced connection on the Taurus Mk.2!

Jul 25, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #13,812 of 21,179
  Power hungry? 1 W RMS takes you to 120 dB SPL, continuously.

Like I say, the HE-560 defies its static DC resistance measurement.

Compared to my 300 ohm HD800, my 40 ohm HE-560 requires a 25% higher volume setting on my HA-1 amp to get the same SPL (as confirmed with my Lutron SPL meter,  C weighting (because, as I have said countless times on this forum,  Fletcher and Munson (1933) were smarter than any of us)).  

Similarly, my HD800 can be driven fairly well with my HA-2 portable amp.  My HE-560? No.

Other HE-560 owners who actually do measurements have reported similar performance. 

FWIW:  My HE-560 measures 48 ohms DC resistance.  My HD800 measures 330 ohms DC resistance.  

Jul 25, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #13,813 of 21,179

Like I say, the HE-560 defies its static DC resistance measurement.

Compared to my 300 ohm HD800, my 40 ohm HE-560 requires a 25% higher volume setting on my HA-1 amp to get the same SPL (as confirmed with my Lutron SPL meter,  C weighting (because, as I have said countless times on this forum,  Fletcher and Munson (1933) were smarter than any of us)).  

Similarly, my HD800 can be driven fairly well with my HA-2 portable amp.  My HE-560? No.

Other HE-560 owners who actually do measurements have reported similar performance. 

FWIW:  My HE-560 measures 48 ohms DC resistance.  My HD800 measures 330 ohms DC resistance.  

The volume setting on the amp required for the same loudness is based upon the impedance of the headphones as well as their sensitiivity. You can always do the math to figure out the differences. Thus I wouldn't expect the same level on the volume control for different cans. Fletcher-Munson and "Equal Loudness Contours" are something that many audiophiles have difficulty accepting. Us carbon units are imperfect.

Jul 25, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #13,814 of 21,179
  The volume setting on the amp required for the same loudness is based upon the impedance of the headphones as well as their sensitiivity. You can always do the math to figure out the differences. Thus I wouldn't expect the same level on the volume control for different cans. Fletcher-Munson and "Equal Loudness Contours" are something that many audiophiles have difficulty accepting. Us carbon units are imperfect.

I use C weighting because it does bias towards low and high frequencies compared to A weighting. Fletcher and Munson would be happy.    

Users who are viewing this thread

Back