= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 30, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #13,831 of 21,179
Hello, I'm very interested in these as a new studio reference.

From what I've gathered they seem the best bang for buck, in terms of a neutral / honest/ detailed pair?

I currently have an RME UCX Interface which contains a headphone amp. It runs my DT-880 (600 OHM) quite well so am wondering if that will do for these?

Any info someone may have from experience on their suitability for mixing would be appreciated too!

Merci :)

Jul 30, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #13,832 of 21,179
You remind me that I can walk to Monarchy from work...

Mr. Poon seems to be winding down operations, though Dick Olshner just picked his current DAC/PreAmp on his TAS Editors Choice.

Jul 30, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #13,833 of 21,179
  What would be a good price to pay for the He-560s?

FWIW: I am putting my  4 month old HE-560's on eBay for $550 starting tomorrow.

Jul 30, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #13,835 of 21,179
Has anyone tried pairing the HE-560 with the EF5? And what was your impression of it

It's OK. The Lyr 1 or 2 is subtantially better for sameish money. I've owned the EF5 for two years, and for the last year it has been in my closet. The Lyr 2 took its place. I've also heard great things about the garage amps. I would consider these two options over the EF5. It really can't compete in the same price bracket it once did when first introduced. My opinion is that spending your money elsewhere would be a wise choice. 

Jul 30, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #13,836 of 21,179
It's OK. The Lyr 1 or 2 is subtantially better for sameish money. I've owned the EF5 for two years, and for the last year it has been in my closet. The Lyr 2 took its place. I've also heard great things about the garage amps. I would consider these two options over the EF5. It really can't compete in the same price bracket it once did when first introduced. My opinion is that spending your money elsewhere would be a wise choice. 

Imm thinking of buying a two years old EF5 for $220. I will considered on the lyr or the garage project amps. Thanks for the insight

Jul 30, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #13,837 of 21,179
For $250 you can get a Project Solstice or Project Sunrise assembled and with warranty from Jeremy, doing a bit of homework will show their advantages over one another but you can't go wrong with one of those 3 at that price.

Imm thinking of buying a two years old EF5 for $220. I will considered on the lyr or the garage project amps. Thanks for the insight

Jul 30, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #13,838 of 21,179
For $250 you can get a Project Solstice or Project Sunrise assembled and with warranty from Jeremy, doing a bit of homework will show their advantages over one another but you can't go wrong with one of those 3 at that price.
What dac do you think would be a good pairing with them? I have my magni/modi for my HD600, but want to upgrade to smething new

Jul 30, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #13,839 of 21,179
Had an issue with my HE560 where the adjustment slider was too loose and I'll be receiving a replacement headband. It looks like they the headband is held by two screws on each side where the L/R labels are, but I'm wondering if there is more to it.Has anyone ever removed or changed the headband?

Jul 30, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #13,840 of 21,179
If you can still find it, audio-gd nfb 15 (discontinued). Otherwise the Mousai 192 is fantastic and hits at the 1k range.

What dac do you think would be a good pairing with them? I have my magni/modi for my HD600, but want to upgrade to smething new

Jul 30, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #13,843 of 21,179
How is the valhalla 2 vs Garage1217? Is there a noticeable difference from the $120 price increase?
The size and looks of the valhalla 2 definitely looks more eye pleasing to me

I don't know, I'm not much into the Schiit products. One thing to look at however is the amount of FS units between G1217 and Schiit, granted Schiit is much more popular but it seems people hang onto their G1217 amps.

The Polaris is great if you're looking for a fast SS sound with warmth.

Jul 30, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #13,844 of 21,179
Had an issue with my HE560 where the adjustment slider was too loose and I'll be receiving a replacement headband. It looks like they the headband is held by two screws on each side where the L/R labels are, but I'm wondering if there is more to it.Has anyone ever removed or changed the headband?

I had the exact same problem a few months ago with my 3 month old set of 560's. I let Hifiman know and offered to repair myself but they decided to just swap out the entire set.
Excellent service.

Jul 31, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #13,845 of 21,179

The original Gungnir is great sounding and I think as a signature it works well with the 560s. I had a Gungnir 560 combination for the better part of a year (owned the Gungnir for 3 years) and it is worth considering. The Gungnir has a bit of a smooth signature, but if you ask me given that the 560 can present some strong treble energy that slight edge removal can be very useful. As well, the bass on the Gungnir is quite strong. I recommend this also as I know in the used market you will get decent pricing as Schiit is due to release a new Gungnir version (it will be more expensive) that is a multi-bit design so they may even offer a price reduction on new first gen Gungnirs' which they have done in the past. There are so many great DAC options now that it is indeed a daunting task.

Some people will find the Gungnir a little too smooth and musical, for me that really wasn't a big issue as it still was nicely balanced. If you prefer a more accurate/neutral approach then the Gungnir might be a little smooth for your liking, but it is an extremely nice sounding, well designed, well built, and well supported DAC. Is it right for you? Not sure, but I have ZERO regret that I purchased a Gungnir.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back