= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Mar 19, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #12,391 of 21,171
@money4me247, is the "cloud club" anything like the "mile high club":wink:?

Mar 20, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #12,392 of 21,171
Eight hundred pages that can be summed up with "needs the right source", but nowhere is there a list of suggested sources or source combinations (desktop and portable).

That is the main problem I´ve found with hi-fi. There are about seven site reviews out there, all try the headphones with two to six different amps and suggest about two. Rarely do the reviewers have the same amps (and or DACs). The chance that two reviews suggest the same amp is smaller yet.  

Then you can go to a forum. There you´ll get an answer based on who is viewing the thread at the moment. Usually two or three people will jive in. Their suggestions are even more wall to wall and from a smaller selection than the site reviews. 

The third option is to start a thread yourself. Then, surprisingly enough (considering people just talked for 800 pages about how important the right source is) only about two or three pages of amp suggestions surface. These will be even more varied and unstructured than the main thread suggestions, because instead of two or three people, about ten people list random different amps. 

It is only after many years a consensus is reached. The Lyr is a good amp with the he-500, I´ve heard. I literally have no idea what is a good amp with the he-560, although I´ve been reading about it for about six days. 

I understand there is a note of sourness here that I don´t want to be misconstrued. I like head-fi and it´s nice, polite music enthusiasts and I am truly thankful for all the discussions and suggestions. I just wish there was some kind of collected info resource out there. A simple table. The phones and the amps most often suggested with those phones. (DACs would be nice too but not that critical.)

Mar 20, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #12,395 of 21,171
  Eight hundred pages that can be summed up with "needs the right source", but nowhere is there a list of suggested sources or source combinations (desktop and portable).

That is the main problem I´ve found with hi-fi. There are about seven site reviews out there, all try the headphones with two to six different amps and suggest about two. Rarely do the reviewers have the same amps (and or DACs). The chance that two reviews suggest the same amp is smaller yet.  

Then you can go to a forum. There you´ll get an answer based on who is viewing the thread at the moment. Usually two or three people will jive in. Their suggestions are even more wall to wall and from a smaller selection than the site reviews. 

The third option is to start a thread yourself. Then, surprisingly enough (considering people just talked for 800 pages about how important the right source is) only about two or three pages of amp suggestions surface. These will be even more varied and unstructured than the main thread suggestions, because instead of two or three people, about ten people list random different amps. 

It is only after many years a consensus is reached. The Lyr is a good amp with the he-500, I´ve heard. I literally have no idea what is a good amp with the he-560, although I´ve been reading about it for about six days. 

I understand there is a note of sourness here that I don´t want to be misconstrued. I like head-fi and it´s nice, polite music enthusiasts and I am truly thankful for all the discussions and suggestions. I just wish there was some kind of collected info resource out there. A simple table. The phones and the amps most often suggested with those phones. (DACs would be nice too but not that critical.

There are so many different amps/dac combo that can go right or wrong depending on music taste, preference, etc.  Another man's trash is another man's treasure.  Some people like warm and lush, others want that forward sounding and hot treble.  There is no ultimate combo that will satisfy everyone.  What you can get is user's subjective/objective feedback on the sound signature of gears they are using and start with something like that within your budget.  Part of the reason why many people here have multiple headphones and/or changes out gear every so often is because they are always in search for that perfect combo (or just bored?).  Also have to consider your budget and what is realistic.  

It is an expensive hobby.  Start with something within your budget and work from there.

Mar 20, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #12,396 of 21,171
  I also felt the HE6 was too treble-happy and fatiguing, even w/tube amps, so I sold it. I was told I should have used a speaker amp; true?

I don’t use my speaker amp to drive my headphones I use the Master 9 for that. Anyway for my preference the stock HE6 has too much treble, it is not sounding fatiguing just has too much of treble to sound “neutral” to me.

A frequency response plot will not tell you everything, nevertheless the plot is in line with how I hear it. You can compare to LCD3 and HD 800 for example. http://www.headphone.com/pages/build-a-graph

I have mod the 6 with vegan pads that lowering the heights to a level that match my preference better. Actually the mod tock away a bit of the low treble to and I didn’t like that. What I do to prevent this is to angle the driver/pads only at 80 % instead of 100 %.

So to me the stock HE 560 is more tonally correct than the HE6, but the 6 can be mod to even out that. The stock HE6 has the upper hand on technicalities and with some easy mod the 6 has as good tonality as the 560 combined with the superior tech. Could a speaker amp be better than the 9? Yes if the amp is better.

Mar 20, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #12,397 of 21,171
  ^^ http://www.audiobot9000.com/

I don't see any Audio-GD amps listed there, but I do see the Monoprice desktop amp 
rolleyes.gif
  Nothing against Monoprice - love 'em - but really?  Plenty of good Schiit, of course 
cool.gif

Mar 20, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #12,400 of 21,171

I don't see any Audio-GD amps listed there, but I do see the Monoprice desktop amp 
rolleyes.gif
  Nothing against Monoprice - love 'em - but really?  Plenty of good Schiit, of course 
cool.gif

also no garage1217 amplifiers listed on that website either.

however audiobot9000 is an amazing piece of work by a dedicated head-fi member & a very useful resource :)

Mar 20, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #12,401 of 21,171

There are so many different amps/dac combo that can go right or wrong depending on music taste, preference, etc.  Another man's trash is another man's treasure.  Some people like warm and lush, others want that forward sounding and hot treble.  There is no ultimate combo that will satisfy everyone.  What you can get is user's subjective/objective feedback on the sound signature of gears they are using and start with something like that within your budget.  Part of the reason why many people here have multiple headphones and/or changes out gear every so often is because they are always in search for that perfect combo (or just bored?).  Also have to consider your budget and what is realistic.  

It is an expensive hobby.  Start with something within your budget and work from there.

It doesn't have to be expensive hobby and one pair of headphones with one dac and one amp can be enough. I had HD-580 with HD-600 grills but sold them right after I got the aftermarket HE-560. I know Audeze LCD-2 fazor would give me better experience in Motown produced music than the HE-560 but my taste in music is much broader. I am exploring so much music in Tidal at the moment and HE-560 has been truly remarkable. Maybe in 5 years or so I will buy used HE-1000 or it's Audeze counterpart but now I am fully satisfied with one pair :). EDIT: not razor :wink: but fazor :p

Mar 20, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #12,402 of 21,171
It doesn't have to be expensive hobby and one pair of headphones with one dac and one amp can be enough. I had HD-580 with HD-600 grills but sold them right after I got the aftermarket HE-560. I know Audeze LCD-2 razor would give me better experience in Motown produced music than the HE-560 but my taste in music in much broader. I am exploring so much music in Tidal at the moment and HE-560 has been truly remarkable. Maybe in 5 years or so I will buy used HE-1000 or it's Audeze counterpart but now I am fully satisfied with one pair :)

the he560 is a great allrounder for ppl looking just for one neutral, well balanced pair of headphones. sometimes when i want a bit of a warmer sound i use it with a tube amp. great value esp for the sales prices ive seen.

Mar 20, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #12,404 of 21,171
Now that I know this hp is attainable for under $600 (per this thread) I am on a mission to find such a deal

there's a he-560 currently for sale at about that price in the FS forums :)

saw a demo he-6 on sale for about that price once before, but that's going to reallyyyy hard to find again I think. almost bought it myself, then remembered how much more comfortable the he-560 was

Users who are viewing this thread

Back