= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jan 5, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #11,041 of 21,171
I heard the Bifrost with the 560, and I'd still prefer R2R. There is a smoothness to the sound of R2R that no delta-sigma DAC can actually recreate. The difference is pretty audible, too.

For instance, here's a good benchmark:

The song sucks... and the mastering sucks even more. Too much treble, too smeared (no detail whatsoever), and with the stock HE-560 coupled with the wrong setup, it'll sound harsh and very sibilant. I couldn't listen to this song out of most DACs, even the Gamma2. Only the Neko, TransDAC, and I'd imagine, the Yggdrasil, can possibly tame this while still allowing clarity to come through.

Jan 6, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #11,042 of 21,171
So I am able to give some impressions of running the 560s from speaker taps. Sadly, as I changed both amp and cable I am unable to say anything about how the Norne cable may or may not have affected the sound, but I will say this, the cable is stunningly lovely in an understated way, and so very well made. Anyway, that was an aside for the moment.

The 560s are now very holographic sounding to me, even more than I remember (audio memory not being perfect of course). There is so much more weight to the lower frequencies, and the mids have really come alive. For certain the NAD M3 is voiced slightly warm, which I feel is a great signature when well done and smearing avoided. Personally I think it is far easier to remain faithful to the recording intent erring on the warm side as opposed to the neutral side, but that is another story.

I already played my music about as loud as could be done without being painful so I am very sure despite not doing any SPL measuring that I am not listening with the NAD at a louder volume. If I was, that could explain some of what I am perceiving, but not all, and in fact, I find once playback gets louder, the weight of the music gets thinner. Exact opposite has happened here, everything has far more weight to it, with the exception of the slight "de-emphasis" on the upper frequencies (which I actually think is great with the well extended 560).

This seems like a contradiction, but despite the lessened treble (really slight attenuation by the NAD, but noticeable even with my speakers) I am hearing quite a bit more detail. Suddenly drums are revealing much more of the sound they would be laying out in the studio during the recording. There is a more natural acoustic timbre to the drums and with electric guitars I swear I am hearing a far more natural sound. There is quite a bit more low and mid bass, quite a bit. Not D7000 level of bass, but as you would expect with the 560, more articulate presentation in these frequencies.

Vocals are also seemingly more forward than they were with the A18, going by memory of course, but I would wager this will bare itself out even when I have my now sold A18 back here for a listen. As I think I mentioned before, I am lucky enough to have sold my A18 to a very experienced head-fi member who lives here in Ottawa, so a direct comparison will be possible in the very near future.

I feel very relieved as what was a big leap of faith has really exceeded my expectations thus far. Now it wasn't inexpensive to do so, the cable cost me more than I sold my amp for, but I have no regrets at all. I will take a few pictures soon I promise. Anyway, if any of you are on the fence about trying a speaker tap with the 560, taking amplifier synergy into consideration, and all things being equal I enthusiastically say give it a whirl. I can't imagine how much more I might have had to spend on a high end head amp to get this level of sound quality. Who knows, maybe I wouldn't have to spend much more than the A18 costs me, I can't be sure, but my instincts tell me that I would have to dig pretty deep into my wallet. It does appear that the beefier and more stable the power supply, the better the signal reaching the transducer will be. Just opinion of course, and mostly speculative opinion at that so certainly take it with a grain of salt. 

Jan 6, 2015 at 3:48 AM Post #11,043 of 21,171
I've got my He560 for a month, and I really like how it sounds.
But the comfort on it is not the best compared to my hd650, I can wear the hd650 for hours without discomfort but not more than 3hrs with the he560.

I guess it's my big ear and the hifiman's ear pad that's causing the problem.
I've to squeeze my ear a little to be able to fit into hifiman's circular earpad, and it's causing a hotspot around my ears after an hour or so. I wonder if it's the leather outlining of the earpad?

Is there a oval shaped earpad that's able to fit the he560 that is as big as the hd650 earpad?
Hopefully it will help my he560 to be more comfortable when enjoying it.

Jan 6, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #11,044 of 21,171
  So I am able to give some impressions of running the 560s from speaker taps. Sadly, as I changed both amp and cable I am unable to say anything about how the Norne cable may or may not have affected the sound, but I will say this, the cable is stunningly lovely in an understated way, and so very well made. Anyway, that was an aside for the moment.

The 560s are now very holographic sounding to me, even more than I remember (audio memory not being perfect of course). There is so much more weight to the lower frequencies, and the mids have really come alive. For certain the NAD M3 is voiced slightly warm, which I feel is a great signature when well done and smearing avoided. Personally I think it is far easier to remain faithful to the recording intent erring on the warm side as opposed to the neutral side, but that is another story.

I already played my music about as loud as could be done without being painful so I am very sure despite not doing any SPL measuring that I am not listening with the NAD at a louder volume. If I was, that could explain some of what I am perceiving, but not all, and in fact, I find once playback gets louder, the weight of the music gets thinner. Exact opposite has happened here, everything has far more weight to it, with the exception of the slight "de-emphasis" on the upper frequencies (which I actually think is great with the well extended 560).

This seems like a contradiction, but despite the lessened treble (really slight attenuation by the NAD, but noticeable even with my speakers) I am hearing quite a bit more detail. Suddenly drums are revealing much more of the sound they would be laying out in the studio during the recording. There is a more natural acoustic timbre to the drums and with electric guitars I swear I am hearing a far more natural sound. There is quite a bit more low and mid bass, quite a bit. Not D7000 level of bass, but as you would expect with the 560, more articulate presentation in these frequencies.

Vocals are also seemingly more forward than they were with the A18, going by memory of course, but I would wager this will bare itself out even when I have my now sold A18 back here for a listen. As I think I mentioned before, I am lucky enough to have sold my A18 to a very experienced head-fi member who lives here in Ottawa, so a direct comparison will be possible in the very near future.

I feel very relieved as what was a big leap of faith has really exceeded my expectations thus far. Now it wasn't inexpensive to do so, the cable cost me more than I sold my amp for, but I have no regrets at all. I will take a few pictures soon I promise. Anyway, if any of you are on the fence about trying a speaker tap with the 560, taking amplifier synergy into consideration, and all things being equal I enthusiastically say give it a whirl. I can't imagine how much more I might have had to spend on a high end head amp to get this level of sound quality. Who knows, maybe I wouldn't have to spend much more than the A18 costs me, I can't be sure, but my instincts tell me that I would have to dig pretty deep into my wallet. It does appear that the beefier and more stable the power supply, the better the signal reaching the transducer will be. Just opinion of course, and mostly speculative opinion at that so certainly take it with a grain of salt. 

Great review, and it mirrors my findings with speaker amp taps, the increase in macro and micro dynamics is incredible. As you mentioned, instruments have more weight, gravitas, power, from strike to decay. Because of the increased dynamics and detail, imaging and soundstage are improved. When my Belles blew up, my fault unfortunately, and I went back to my Lyr 2 everything sounded two dimensional, it really wasn't, but was inferior to the speaker amp.

So happy that you are finally set with your Draug 2, enjoy!!!

Jan 6, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #11,045 of 21,171

Great review, and it mirrors my findings with speaker amp taps, the increase in macro and micro dynamics is incredible. As you mentioned, instruments have more weight, gravitas, power, from strike to decay. Because of the increased dynamics and detail, imaging and soundstage are improved. When my Belles blew up, my fault unfortunately, and I went back to my Lyr 2 everything sounded two dimensional, it really wasn't, but was inferior to the speaker amp.

So happy that you are finally set with your Draug 2, enjoy!!!

Your poor Belles, what happened? I actually have the Solv cable according to Trevor.

Jan 6, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #11,046 of 21,171

Your poor Belles, what happened? I actually have the Solv cable according to Trevor.

Wow, the Solv, Cute has been raving about that with his new 560's!!!

I hooked up a long run of one of my sets of speaker cables and there was a short I did't notice....until there was a white plume of smoke and an acrid smell. She has been replaced by a B & K 125.2 Ref. II, a bit more power, but also a bit brighter amp. The Belles will return when I have time to crack it and survey the damage 
frown.gif

Jan 6, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #11,047 of 21,171
I agree that more power yields improvements, though the extent to which I find a bit overblown.
My amp does 8W@50Ohms, so I'll shut up 
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #11,048 of 21,171
I agree that more power yields improvements, though the extent to which I find a bit overblown.
My amp does 8W@50Ohms, so I'll shut up :D  

I think I am around 20, but not getting close to using that, the drivers and my ears couldn't take it :flushed:.

Jan 6, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #11,049 of 21,171
Has anyone had the chance to compare the He-560 with a Beyer T-1. I am considering possibly getting one or the other. I heard the T1 before at a meet and liked it quite a lot. I have heard a lot of good things about the 560 though and it is just a bit less money as well so I was wondering.

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #11,051 of 21,171
  Has anyone had the chance to compare the He-560 with a Beyer T-1. I am considering possibly getting one or the other. I heard the T1 before at a meet and liked it quite a lot. I have heard a lot of good things about the 560 though and it is just a bit less money as well so I was wondering.

Two very good headphones, and as was suggested ideally you need to audition them both. Is that not a possibility for you? If you need to gamble, I would say consider the rest of your gear. While still a debated topic, many will suggest that the 560s really shouldn't be considered easy to drive well. The T1 is even more efficient than the DT 880 if memory serves me and from the many threads/posts I have read about the T1 (I was considering getting a set based on my 880 experience) hard to drive isn't a description I read often. I would also say that the 560 being a newer design, and the increase in the interest in ortho cans might make it easier to sell a 560 for much of what you paid if the signature doesn't work for you, but that is just musing. Either way you go you are going to have a very accomplished headphone to enjoy. Let us know what you decide and how it works out. Cheers.

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #11,052 of 21,171
Have the t90s right now. Which is supposed 90-95% of a T1. What kind of differences can I expect when I audition the 560s and possibly buy it tomorrow

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #11,053 of 21,171
Have the t90s right now. Which is supposed 90-95% of a T1. What kind of differences can I expect when I audition the 560s and possibly buy it tomorrow

I will be interested in your comments after you hear both. I own the T1 and have done a brief comparison at a dealer with the HE560. I still have the T1. I guess that sums up my finding. Now if the HE560 only had the glorious mids of the HE500 I would be a buyer.

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #11,054 of 21,171
  I will be interested in your comments after you hear both. I own the T1 and have done a brief comparison at a dealer with the HE560. I still have the T1. I guess that sums up my finding. Now if the HE560 only had the glorious mids of the HE500 I would be a buyer.

Hmm the store I go to also has the t1s . Though only the 560s are in my price range. If the t1s are that much better. I'm probably gonna stay with my t90s for a bit longer and save up.

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #11,055 of 21,171
I just got my HE560 2 days ago, and while it's very clear and detailed, I'm not getting the 3D or holographic sound that quite few people have mentioned. The soundstage does seem wider, but not as deep or tall when compared to my Philips Fidelio X1. In fact the sound is very 2D and most of the sound seemed to be emanating from the center of the cups. I'm running them out of my iFi iCan or an O2 amp. Think both have 400mA as wattage for outputs (sorry, not very good at this). I did the re-grill mod (only the re-grill at this point of time) but it's not much help. 

Not sure if I need more burn in or is it going for amps with more current. What do you guys think

Users who are viewing this thread

Back