= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Dec 10, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #10,726 of 21,176

Anyway you can shrink your head?

Tell me about it, you won't imagine how hard it was to find a comfortable helmet when I started rollerblading back in the days, I would have thought it might have shrinked with the one I had for a while 
biggrin.gif

This was still surprizing considering I'm a little more than half the way on my HD-650 and HD-800.
I genuinely thought I was missing something on the HE-560 until I went checking photos/videos.

Dec 10, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #10,727 of 21,176
Dec 10, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #10,729 of 21,176
For the Engineers among us I have a question. In figuring out an amps output into the HE560's.

125 x 8/52 = 125 x .1538 = 19.23 W @ 52 ohms, is this correct? Thanks in advance.

Dec 10, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #10,734 of 21,176
It may be the thermonuclear option, but the dynamics, bass, PRaT with the big gun is awesome!!! The 560's are a lot like Maggie's, they love the juice, like a pro wrestler to Dynabol!

Dec 10, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #10,736 of 21,176
Yep. Most vintage gears are darker, more slanted towards bass to make up for the bass deficiency in recordings of the past. The end result is that when paired with the HE-560, they offer just the right remedy.

I don't think I have said this enough, but the HE-560 paired with a dark DAC and a dark amp is truly heavenly.

It's probably much less the extra power (though you'll need moar power to push moar bass still), and more about the tuning of the amp.
beerchug.gif

Is this like using EQ to fix the HE-560? Well, sort of... except along with EQ, the amp is also supplying it with enough power to push that bass without reserve, so it's win-win. Pushing bass on the HE-560 on an amp that's unable to deliver the extra power can be disastrous.

Dec 10, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #10,737 of 21,176
  Yep. Most vintage gears are darker, more slanted towards bass to make up for the bass deficiency in recordings of the past. The end result is that when paired with the HE-560, they offer just the right remedy.

I don't think I have said this enough, but the HE-560 paired with a dark DAC and a dark amp is truly heavenly.

It's probably much less the extra power (though you'll need moar power to push moar bass still), and more about the tuning of the amp.
beerchug.gif

Is this like using EQ to fix the HE-560? Well, sort of... except along with EQ, the amp is also supplying it with enough power to push that bass without reserve, so it's win-win. Pushing bass on the HE-560 on an amp that's unable to deliver the extra power can be disastrous.

Your cable, and the cable design can significantly deliver more bass slam with the HE-560......the Norne Solv X delivers as much bass slam, clarity and soundstage width and depth of any cable I have ever heard, whether from my Denon 125 wpc receiver, or off of the speaker taps of my integrated tube amp, the Norne Draug 2 would also have significant bass, making it popular on the HD800 as well.  Both cables offer excellent quality sound!

Dec 10, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #10,738 of 21,176

beerchug.gif

I can't agree with this statement for several reasons. First, "most vintage gear being darker" is a blanket statement and not really indicative of all the vintage gear that I've owned over the past 20 years. A more accurate statement might be that in general most or a large percentage of vintage gear, amps and receivers, is more neutral than today's counterparts. The Pioneer sx line, Sansui 9090 series and the exquisite Fisher offerings are all close to neutral and pair well with lot's of headphones from the ever so picky hd800 to the planar magnetics such as the he560.  

I do agree about the ability of the vintage steel to bring out the best in difficult to drive headphones. I've been chasing the "perfect" amp for the hd800 for about two years now. Well, that is until I plugged the hd800 into the Fisher 500c. What's both confounding and impressive at the same time is that the 500c powers the he560 equally as well as it does the hd800. If you don't think that all the finesse and refinement of today's modern headphone amps is present in a piece of vintage equipment that is 40, 50, or even 60 years old, then I'd be more than happy to let any disbelievers come over for a listen. 
tongue.gif
 (rant over)

Dec 11, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #10,739 of 21,176
Well, by "darker", I really mean "darker" than O2 type amplifiers. 
tongue.gif

I have access to the Pioneer SX 770, Sansui QRX 7500, and McIntosh MAC 4100, all of which are on the "darker" side of neutral compared to something like the O2, but all 3 offer very good sound in and of themselves. Of the 3, I like the McIntosh's tuning most. It's spacious, warm, inviting, a bit bass-heavy, but very lush and easy to listen to. It sounds like a tube amp even though it's not.

I tuned my DIY amp to sound closest to the McIntosh, since I didn't want to have to worry about the size and weight of the 'Tosh, but all things being equal, I'd pick it as an end-game amp any day.

Dec 11, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #10,740 of 21,176
Right folks, the rest of my cable arrived to hook these bad boys to my speaker taps.  I've just done it.  Oh my, oh my....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back