= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Dec 5, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #10,591 of 21,176
  ^^^ +1 ^^^  This thread is loaded with lots of questionable claims.

While this is true, please understand that personally I only offer fact with my own post. 
wink.gif

Dec 5, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #10,592 of 21,176
When I sent my Enhancement modded 560s to Purrin for measurements, they turned out to measure near the exact same as the stock Focus Pad 560s.  The measurements were definitely too close to be conclusive.

If something like that particular mod, which cuts out the mesh liner on the focus pad, introduces an entirely new element-- the liner placed over the diaphragm, and cuts lots of damping holes in the interior of focus pad itself, shows no noticeable difference in measurements, then what makes anybody think two very thin pieces of wire moved away from the rear of the driver would create a noticeable difference in measurements?

Those measurements taken of the 560 pre and post movement of the wires are definitely inconclusive.  There's absolutely no way something so small would cause a noticeable difference in measurement that's large enough to surpass the threshold of measurement variability itself.

This also isn't to say that inconclusive measurements means no difference in sound, and I can't comment personally about the subjective difference of the 560 with cable pushed aside or not, but a .5db difference in the 8khz region (which we're far less sensitive too than 3-4khz), shown by measurements is definitely not proof of difference. 

Dec 5, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #10,594 of 21,176
  Those measurements taken of the 560 pre and post movement of the wires are definitely inconclusive.  There's absolutely no way something so small would cause a noticeable difference in measurement that's large enough to surpass the threshold of measurement variability itself.

********. I took the measurements several times taking everything into account, I know what I'm doing. I think I even posted full mdats to see.

Whether the small difference is audible is another matter. Feel free to debate on that.

I mean I'm a sceptic too, I'd never though there was any difference from it. But there was. Repeatedly. Just like there are some effects from removing the grills etc. How many times we have learned that nothing is to be taken for granted? Especially ranting about some stuff we have no clue about.

Dec 5, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #10,595 of 21,176
Sorry.  Don't buy it.  If there's a difference in sound from the wires being there or not, it's not because of that .5db difference at 8khz.

Measuring for consistency is great, I applaud you for it.  .5db differences in very small areas of the sound signature are never conclusive though.  

Dec 5, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #10,596 of 21,176

********. I took the measurements several times taking everything into account, I know what I'm doing. I think I even posted full mdats to see.

Whether the small difference is audible is another matter. Feel free to debate on that.

I mean I'm a sceptic too, I'd never though there was any difference from it. But there was. Repeatedly. Just like there are some effects from removing the grills etc. How many times we have learned that nothing is to be taken for granted? Especially ranting about some stuff we have no clue about.

Removing the whole metal grill... and moving a small piece of wire a little... is not comparable at all in terms of its overall effect on sound.

I've done the "wire thing" myself several times... No audible difference.

Dec 5, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #10,597 of 21,176
I sent an email to Geekria suggesting they add the Hifiman HE Series to the product description. Here is their response if it will be useful to anyone.

"Dear Mike,

Thank you very much for you information! We will update the product description shortly.
We have several other headphones cases may also fit Hifiman HE:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JT0JBHU/
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F2AYGSK/
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L77JNHQ/
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P0JYPE8/

Hope you and your friends will like them.

Best Wishes!

--
support@geekria.com
www.geekria.com"

Dec 5, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #10,598 of 21,176
  Sorry.  Don't buy it.  If there's a difference in sound from the wires being there or not, it's not because of that .5db difference at 8khz.

Measuring for consistency is great, I applaud you for it.  .5db differences in very small areas of the sound signature are never conclusive though.  

So don't buy it, nobody really cares. But it's not just a 8khz difference though. There were several points of difference which may or may not sum to more than their parts. There is also more to measure than simple FR. We also don't know how it would have been affected if I measured with the grills on, but that would have been much harder to do consistently so I didn't bother. There could be also variations on how long the wires are, where they stand etc.

There is no way to know what Bill hears and double blind test on this matter would obviously be extremely hard to do consistently, so let's just leave it at that. But please people stop thinking black and white, like I did thinking there wouldn't even be any difference.

Dec 5, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #10,599 of 21,176
The Code-X's use new wood cups, not the stock HE5 cups, if I recall. That means any connector could have been accommodated for. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Yeah could be..but then again..those cups could be used for mini xlr AND smc...as he sold code-x'es with botn connectors...so maybe hifiman could contact luis (LFF) to ask him how he did it? :wink:

Dec 5, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #10,600 of 21,176
Messing around with the wires doesn't do jack. It's all in our heads. When I put just my index fingers up next to the drivers, I have to strain to even detect a minor difference. What makes you think that a couple of tiny little wires would create enough resonance to be audibly significant? Let's just...get over it. Instead of trying to invent new voodoo in audio, just accept that the laws of physics don't change just because our head-fi mojo wants it to. I swear... 

Dec 5, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #10,601 of 21,176
I sent an email to Geekria suggesting they add the Hifiman HE Series to the product description. Here is their response if it will be useful to anyone.

@Mike In Bama, you promised picturesss!! :)

pictures of the case, pictures of the headphones in the case, pictures of you taking pictures of everything!!!! :D

Dec 5, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #10,603 of 21,176
Money..., you must have taken a nap. I posted that yesterday, my brother.

ahhh lol. totally missed that w/ all the recent discussion.

thanks! :) looks nice

Dec 5, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #10,604 of 21,176
I really like it. Hope you saw there are other options. I went with the smallest, most protective option. I really just need something to keep the crap off of them in the steel mill I work in. A lot of coal dust, mold powder (think black talcum powder), silica powder and line dust. Other than that, ' cough, cough ', its a perfectly safe place to be!

Dec 5, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #10,605 of 21,176
I really like it. Hope you saw there are other options. I went with the smallest, most protective option. I really just need something to keep the crap off of them in the steel mill I work in. A lot of coal dust, mold powder (think black talcum powder), silica powder and line dust. Other than that, ' cough, cough ', its a perfectly safe place to be!

loll... why are you bringing $900 headphones to the steel mill? =P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back