= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Dec 4, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #10,561 of 21,176
  But is that during normal listening?
I only get the [left driver] sub-bass crackling when playing pure ~30Hz tones, but not during normal listening/gaming/movies sub-bass...

Just edited my post to address that.. normal volumes, normal seal, subbass tones. Normal headphone should not crackle like that. It does not matter if it's audible 1% of the time "on normal music". Given that this time it's on the other side, there's clearly some quality issues here. I received fresh pair without pads and just swapped my old ones there. Nothing changed. I tried cables and other amps too.

Dec 4, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #10,563 of 21,176
  So I received my third HE-560 pair. This time left side has the subbass crackling/distortion! My mind is blown, SERIOUSLY. Maybe I can combine the right driver from my last pair to have a good pair. 
biggrin.gif

And I'm not talking about any free-air bass massacre. Even with cups well sealed to head, you can hear the slight "distortion/crackling" in the background with low sines. Disappointing quality control. Back they go again.

So... is it only with sine wave sweeps?
Can you hear it in normal listening conditions, listening to tracks, playing games or watching movies?
Honestly, I wouldn't bother sending it back if you don't hear it in practical use... But that's just me. [I am grateful my HE-560 works optimally during normal conditions
biggrin.gif
]

Dec 4, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #10,564 of 21,176

Honestly, I wouldn't bother sending it back if you don't hear it in practical use... But that's just me. [I am grateful my HE-560 works optimally during normal conditions
biggrin.gif
]

Sorry but that's just plain stupid. We are talking about a $700 headphone that I would not even sell used to anyone, knowing it has a clear fault!! Even if you don't listen to dubstep or such and hear it once a month - it has an audible fault (not a "visible scratch" or something pointless). Who knows how long it will hold up in that state? Maybe just until warranty expires?

The first time I even noticed it was listening some subbass heavy music and wondering what the vague distortion in the background was. With sines you can easily check if it's bad.

And again, this is not over-excursion flapping in free air, but a completely different "hair" like crackling. I wonder how many have even missed hearing it.

Dec 4, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #10,565 of 21,176
I've had these headphones just a couple of weeks and The left ear cup cable has already separated from the bottom of the screw connector, coming away from it and leaving the screw screwed into the earcup. I bought these used but they are only a couple of months old.

There is a definite weakness in that area of HifiMan cables as the same thing happened to me with my HE400 but after a year rather than a couple of months of use. I'm sending the cable down to the dealer to get it assessed and hopefully they'll replace it.

I really wish they'd change that design. I don't understand why they have it like that. Anybody knows even from just looking at it that it's precarious and just asking for trouble.

Dec 4, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #10,567 of 21,176
I think that this type of connector is designed to be used in an application where the cable is routed and tied down...and the intent is not to disconnect the system very often. It is definitely not ideal for headphones. I too have had a couple of the ends separate with my HE 400. The first one was within a week of getting them. So far the 400i has been OK, but I have learned to be very gentle with these things.

Dec 4, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #10,568 of 21,176
It is to be addressed with the next headphone. I remember reading this statement a few months ago, made by Hifiman.
It should be burried somewhere within this thread :)

Dec 4, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #10,569 of 21,176
I've had these headphones just a couple of weeks and The left ear cup cable has already separated from the bottom of the screw connector, coming away from it and leaving the screw screwed into the earcup. I bought these used but they are only a couple of months old.

There is a definite weakness in that area of HifiMan cables as the same thing happened to me with my HE400 but after a year rather than a couple of months of use. I'm sending the cable down to the dealer to get it assessed and hopefully they'll replace it.

I really wish they'd change that design. I don't understand why they have it like that. Anybody knows even from just looking at it that it's precarious and just asking for trouble.

I have made several pleas to hifiman about this very issue. Oddly, they did not take my advice.  
rolleyes.gif
 I'll say it one more time...mini xlr. 

Dec 4, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #10,570 of 21,176
It is to be addressed with the next headphone. I remember reading this statement a few months ago, made by Hifiman.
It should be burried somewhere within this thread :)

That is of great comfort to the people with one of the hundreds of pairs out there with the current connector.

Dec 4, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #10,571 of 21,176
Even with these soldered and heat shrink cables, my phones fit in this case. Stock cables would have plenty of room. I'm happy.

Given the present issues being discussed about the cable problems, I wouldn't be happy with that fit, even with the stock cables.  Be careful mate!

Dec 4, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #10,572 of 21,176
That is of great comfort to the people with one of the hundreds of pairs out there with the current connector.

I know... I am one of them... I thereby handle all HiFiMAN products with the utmost care :)
I am glad it is to improve with the HE-6/Jade succesor, at least :D

Dec 4, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #10,573 of 21,176
  So I received my third HE-560 pair. This time left side has the subbass crackling/distortion! My mind is blown, SERIOUSLY. Maybe I can combine the right driver from my last pair to have a good pair. 
biggrin.gif

And I'm not talking about any free-air bass massacre. Even with cups well sealed to head, you can hear the slight "distortion/crackling" in the background with low sines. Disappointing quality control. Back they go again.

Looking forward to read some fanboish excuses that this is all your fault and happening only under certain unprobable conditions with weirdly-shaped heads and underpowered amplifiers or bass-heavy music etc... 
rolleyes.gif

I am really sorry about the issues you have with the headphone. I admire Hifiman for many of their older products I encountered but this is getting as absurd as endless reliability issues of ESP950 and current Stax...

Dec 4, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #10,574 of 21,176

I have made several pleas to hifiman about this very issue. Oddly, they did not take my advice.  
rolleyes.gif
 I'll say it one more time...mini xlr. 

They would need to redesign the cupsfor mini xlr's, there is no room inside for mini xlr's!  I have made ultrashort connectors for mine, SMC soldered inside of a male mini xlr.  There are other 6" adapters that are made by Norne and DHC available as well for SMC to mini xlr.  Attach them once and forget about them!

Dec 4, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #10,575 of 21,176
  Given the present issues being discussed about the cable problems, I wouldn't be happy with that fit, even with the stock cables.  Be careful mate!

Agreed.  There seems to be plenty of strain relief for the cable, but unless the unseen foam in the lid really secures the cups and connectors, any bit of jostling could weaken that joint.

While attempting to attach the pads to the jerg enhanced cups (so, plenty of sticky stuff that makes it tough to get the pads on), I managed to disconnect the ground wire from the left channel on my DIY cable.  Too much twisting for what was probably an iffy soldering job on my part.  Yes, I should have unscrewed the cables first, but I didn't realize what it would take to attach the pads.  An easy fix with a spare SMC connector, but lesson learned.

re: mini-XLRs, right on.  I'd go with straight up 3.5 mm TRS (or TS? not sure how that affects a balanced connection, but I think not well).  I just made 6.35 mm to 3.5 mm cable for the X2s (single entry), and it was wonderfully simple, with a plethora of choices for the 3.5 mm plug.  re: all those existing cables out there, snip and rewire 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back