= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Oct 3, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #8,597 of 21,175

Correct.  However, we don't know how the 560 will take to every mod yet.

I have a grill modded HE-560 with the a Charleston Cable Company cable and a pair of extra pads(the stock ones I believe, because other ear pads are installed along with the different grills) coming in , it was suppose to be here today, but the USPS only delivered the second pair of ear pads and CCC. I was like "Noooooo!" why do you hate me post man of doom, he then hurried to his mail automobile and promptly drove off. leaving me broken with disappointment. 

Anyways I should hopefully get them tomorrow, which I am excited about, I will be pairing it with the Geek Out 1000 and ALO PanAm for a while. Hopefully it will pair nicely until I decide to upgrade later on. 

Thanks for the info and help preproman and Wildcatsare, I will keep researching and reading up on the He-560 and possible amplifiers that drive them right.

Oct 3, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #8,598 of 21,175
I did not say they were for sale.  The Head fi'er that let me use them asked me if I wanted to buy them.  If he decides to sell I'm sure you'll see an add posted.

Read my post:  Post #14659 HE-6 vs. Code-X impressions. Done back on 8/13/14

http://www.head-fi.org/t/493214/hifiman-he-6-planar-magnetic-headphone/14655

The Code-X is a mod.  My HE-6 is also a mod.  So that's mod vs mod.  The 560s I have does not have a mod on them yet.  I do feel the Grill mod, Fuzzor Mod and a Hardwire mod gives the HE-6 a very big leap forward in performance.  The HE-6 stock yeah the Code-X did come closer.  

Remember the Stock Code-X is already an inferior HE-5, The stock HE-6 is already good.  The stock HE-560 comes really, and I mean really close to the performace of the stock HE-6.  

If I was starting out I would get the HE-560s no questions asked.  If I had some years under my belt, I would go with the HE-6 and the proper amp with all the mods.  

The Code-X is not worth the asking price - no way no how.  You can only do so much with an inferior driver in the first place.  That's why Fang made the HE-500 and now the HE-560 both are upgrades over the stock HE-5.
if u opened the code-x u would know that the code-x is not just a mod like the mods u mention for ur he6...lots more work went into...as u say urself..it sounds like a different phone..with only simple mods u mentioned u cant get that change..i know as i had a modded he500 myself..it was better then the standard one..but still very recognizable as a he500.... code-x cant be called a he5 anymore..as changes has been made, replaced and tuning of drivers that go very deeply...not just attachin or detaching extra stuff in or on the phone...

Oct 3, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #8,599 of 21,175
if u opened the code-x u would know that the code-x is not just a mod like the mods u mention for ur he6...lots more work went into...as u say urself..it sounds like a different phone..with only simple mods u mentioned u cant get that change..i know as i had a modded he500 myself..it was better then the standard one..but still very recognizable as a he500.... code-x cant be called a he5 anymore..as changes has been made, replaced and tuning of drivers that go very deeply...not just attachin or detaching extra stuff in or on the phone...

I'm sure it's still attaching and detaching extra stuff in the phone with Code-X, just that it is more complex and purposeful than things most of us try. Who knows, maybe he tested with hundreds of obscure fabrics and damping materials, dozens of cutout patterns, different layering, treatment on the drivers, seal etc etc, ultimately it is a heftily-modded HE5.

Oct 3, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #8,600 of 21,175
Yeah, obscure stuffs like microfiber clothes or silk fibers or leather fibers also have a pretty interesting effect on the sound of the headphone.

But then I'd think that modding the ear pads alone should be enough to achieve a certain sound. Right now, I'm leaning toward using the ATH-L3000 ear pads coupled with Beyerdynamic foam dishes.

Oct 3, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #8,601 of 21,175
thinking about buying the original unmodified HE560 new from a store, or to get a second hand modded HE560 with- regrilling mod with organza material. Focus A pads with protective screen removed

I already have the HE4 and enjoy them with my Lyr2 and Uberfrost combo. But I heard the HE560 is in another level...
Does the mods alter the original sound signature of the HE560? I don't want the bass to overpower any other frequencies and reduce the soundstage\dynmaics. 

I can get them both for about the same price

Oct 3, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #8,602 of 21,175
thinking about buying the original unmodified HE560 new from a store, or to get a second hand modded HE560 with- regrilling mod with organza material. Focus A pads with protective screen removed

I already have the HE4 and enjoy them with my Lyr2 and Uberfrost combo. But I heard the HE560 is in another level...
Does the mods alter the original sound signature of the HE560? I don't want the bass to overpower any other frequencies and reduce the soundstage\dynmaics. 

The only complaint I have heard, one person, was that the bass on my modded 560's was too much. Most of the mods are reversible, so you can by the modded, reverse the changes if you don't like them. I am a bit surprised somebody is willing to part with their modded 560's though....

Oct 3, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #8,603 of 21,175
The only complaint I have heard, one person, was that the bass on my modded 560's was too much. Most of the mods are reversible, so you can by the modded, reverse the changes if you don't like them. I am a bit surprised somebody is willing to part with their modded 560's though....

There were actually 2 of us that thought that :p

But, I only heard it for part of one song.  It would take a lot more listening to make a real decision regarding the bass.

Oct 3, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #8,604 of 21,175

You can spin it any way you want.  The "Fact" is, it's still a HE-5 - sorry.   Of all the HE-5XXs I've owned or heard in stock form, the HE-5 was the worst one.

HE-560 --> HE-5LE --> HE-500 --> HE-5

The HE-5LE should have been the one he modded.  It's better to start with.

Oct 3, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #8,605 of 21,175

I would say get the HE-560 new from a store... otherwise you may be out of warranty when you get a pair that's modded.

I recently contacted Hifiman regarding warranty for my headphone, and it seems they need you to provide proof that you purchased it from an authorized dealer, plus they seem concerned about any DIY work...

Oct 3, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #8,606 of 21,175
You can spin it any way you want.  The "Fact" is, it's still a HE-5 - sorry.   Of all the HE-5XXs I've owned or heard in stock form, the HE-5 was the worst one.

HE-560 --> HE-5LE --> HE-500 --> HE-5

The HE-5LE should have been the one he modded.  It's better to start with.
he
he did.(and would be much cheaper and easier achievable).also with he500 and he6..but only he5 gave this improvement....no other he phone gave this kind of changes because of how they were built and the kind of drivers used he told me...somehow the he5 is different then all the other he headphones..dont know if he tried the he560 yet..but u never know..

Oct 3, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #8,607 of 21,175
I just compared the 560 to the LCD-2 rev again and while the 2 doesn't sound bad at all, the 560 is better and feels sooooo much better on my head. 

Oct 3, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #8,608 of 21,175

I would say get the HE-560 new from a store... otherwise you may be out of warranty when you get a pair that's modded.

I recently contacted Hifiman regarding warranty for my headphone, and it seems they need you to provide proof that you purchased it from an authorized dealer, plus they seem concerned about any DIY work...

+1 on this.  I've dealt with HFM a few times re: warranty issues.  If you buy new, you're covered by the warranty.  If you do reversible mods (e.g., replace the grills), you can easily put it back to stock.  DO NOT tell them that you modded your cans, unless you did some mod that is not reversible.  If you can get it back to stock, you can return it/exchange it.  I even reversed the fuzzor mod on a pair of HE-500s (removed felt, cleaned up the driver framework) before exchanging it.  If you mod the pads by removing the dust screen, you probably want to do that on a second pair, or if you're sure you'll be keeping them.  I suppose you could buy a pair to use in the event of an exch

Unless there's a significant price difference, I'd buy directly from HFM, if that's an option.  They seem to ship everywhere, so...

HTH.

Oct 3, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #8,609 of 21,175
+1 on this.  I've dealt with HFM a few times re: warranty issues.  If you buy new, you're covered by the warranty.  If you do reversible mods (e.g., replace the grills), you can easily put it back to stock.  DO NOT tell them that you modded your cans, unless you did some mod that is not reversible.  If you can get it back to stock, you can return it/exchange it.  I even reversed the fuzzor mod on a pair of HE-500s (removed felt, cleaned up the driver framework) before exchanging it.  If you mod the pads by removing the dust screen, you probably want to do that on a second pair, or if you're sure you'll be keeping them.  I suppose you could buy a pair to use in the event of an exch

Unless there's a significant price difference, I'd buy directly from HFM, if that's an option.  They seem to ship everywhere, so...

HTH.

So better not open up here what u did to ur headphone then..as bigbrother (hifiman representatives) are watching u :D

In europe u have an excellent german distributor who is outstanding..perfect service...bought 5 hifiman components from them (3headphones).. Never any complain..they deliver to all europe is i am not mistaken..and cheaper then getting it directly from hifiman
.but if ur in states i dont know....

Oct 3, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #8,610 of 21,175
So better not open up here what u did to ur headphone then..as bigbrother (hifiman representatives) are watching u
biggrin.gif

Too late the monkey cat is out of the bag. Rangy has already bled them dry so I don't know how much more he could squeeze them for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back