= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Sep 14, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #8,131 of 21,171
This is my experience too.
The Focus pads that came with my headphone (early July) were relatively thin and certainly not matched size and dimension wise...
Then I ordered another pair a month later and this one was in much better shape - more foam, thicker, bigger openings, etc.
Now, a week ago, I ordered my third pair and this is by far the most consistent and matched looking pair - foam split evenly, same thickness and ear openings average at 5.7 cm (close to the desired 6)
My understanding is that much like with the headphone, hifiman is getting better and more consistent with each new month of production.

My advice would be to order another of Focus pads directly from head-direct. I ordered my first pair at around the same time when yours were and the quality is inferior to the pads produced now, it seems.

I just measured the ear openings, they are about 55mm, which is exactly what you say is correct size. So I guess for me thats small. I heard a good test is if you can fit 3 knuckles inside the opening then it will be a good fit, if not then it wont. apparently the width of your 3 knuckles is about equal to the height of your ear (measured top to bottom). My knuckles fit inside this pad pretty much the same way my ears do. I'm comparing this against denon d5000 pads and lcd 2 pads. the Denon pads are too shallow and can be considered on ears, only in the literal sense. the lcd 2 pads leave your ear free floating, with the occasional touch as they shift on your head from the weight. but the he-560 pads dont give any room for your ears, they get jammed in there. I'd say the ideal size would be more like 6.5-7cm, in height at least. I just measured the lcd 2 pads they are 7cm in height, but only 5cm in width (front to back of the ear). And checking the he-560 pads again, front to back is just as roomy actually, but its the height that kills it, there just isnt enough top to bottom room for your ears, but plenty of front to back room. Denon d5000 pads are pretty much the opposite, there isnt any front to back space, but theres enough top to bottom (still makes them very snug, but not cramped like the he-560). I will say after a few hours so far they become less annoying, but I never stop noticing it. It sucks that of all things, this is what will make it or break it for me. I just have a hard time enjoying music when there are comfort issues, it prevents me from paying attention to the sound.

On aside - why is it so hard for these high end headphones to be comfortable? Most mid-fi and even low-fi are usually way more comfy than almost anything in the high end. it seems backwards. Audeze has the weight issues which both make your neck a bit sore and cause the headphones to shift on your head, forcing you to stay in the upright position or they slide off. Hifiman has small openings, but otherwise is actually really comfy in regards to everything else (for the he-560). hd800 can put pressure points on the bottom of their ear pads because of how huge they are, but are otherwise very comfy. Beyerdynamic probably is the best in regards to comfort, but you have to like the sound (which I dont really). Fostex is probably along the same lines as the old denon line, but with a rounder opening. Old Hifiman has the weight problems like Audeze. And thats like it for sub 1500 dollar headphones. Audeze pads are probably some of the best, but everything they are attached to just sucks for comfort. I just dont understand why its so hard to make a comfy ear pad? make a large opening, use soft foam, and coverings, make sure its deep enough from the dust filter so your ears dont touch, and either use a suspension style headband like on the he-560 or put tons of thick padding/soft padding but really wide surface area/whatever the hd800 does. If all headphone manufacturers did that, with slight changes for uniqueness sake and sound tuning, then there would never be comfort issues. I just figured spending 1000 dollars on headphones would at least get you something that not only sounded great, but felt great to wear.

Further aside (sorry that this post is getting long) - I'm trying to settle down on a one headphone solution. I own lcd 2s, and I could live with them, but they are heavy, and the sound can be a bit too slow and dull sometimes. Ive tried hd800s and they are too bright for what I listen to. And i"m now in the middle of trying the he-560s, which are having the comfort issues stated above, but so far seem to have close to the kind of sound I want (but I need more burn in time). If I dont stick with my lcd 2s I will be selling them and getting whatever I choose over them. Any other recommendations I should try in this 1000 dollar price range or so? and that has detachable cables so I can run them balanced with my V281. Or if you hear rumors of what could be coming around the corner next year, and to just hold off until then.

thanks in advanced.

Sep 14, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #8,132 of 21,171
@saxelrod92,

I hear you man. I wish the whole headphone industry starts makes deeper & wider earpads to accommodate our different earsizes.

Now the HE-560s are actually the most comfortable pair of headphones I've owned, but I do agree that increased pad depth would be a great benefit. I have found that after long-term usage, these earpads compress down slightly, so my left ear barely brushes the inside driver. The easy fix would be soft foam inserted into the back of the earcups as suggested.

I do hope that Hifiman is following this thread and makes their pads even deeper in the future!!! That is really the last piece to their comfort puzzle as these current pads do compress down quite a bit.

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #8,136 of 21,171
@saxelrod92,

Have you tried the Focus Pads A yet? Darker tonality overall, the inside is bigger than Focus Pads, and I think even the opening is slightly bigger as well.

Nah the Focus A pads have smaller external opening, but much more room inside for the ears. The ears are supposed to "tuck in".

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #8,137 of 21,171
Great news, glad to hear HiFiMan is stepping up, the sonic quality of the 560's are phenominal, improving QC is icing!

Yea, you know that saying you don't know what you have until it's gone? I got a good dose of that over the nearly 4 weeks I was waiting to get these back. There were many times I was listening to something and thought man that would sound great on the HE560, wish I had mine already. Then on Friday without any prior warning I noticed a package from DHL at my door and to my surprise it was the replacement. I was so giddy on Friday and Saturday it was better than getting them the first time around for some reason. I've been holed up in my house the past two days constantly listening to these, even put off all the stuff I had to do until today lol. I put these babies on Friday and felt like I came home! Now I'm considering the whole balanced thing and this wed will actually audition and compare a balanced set up with the HE500 to see if there's a difference. 

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #8,138 of 21,171
  So I got an HE-560 today to try out. I will wait till the end of the week or so to give a confident impression on the sound, but I wanted to mention that I bought these new off amazon but they are not as well packaged as that poster a page or so back has, according to his pictures. For example the box was missing one screw, and the headphones did not have the plastic over the sliders, and the gimbles have a minor scratch here or there. also one of the pads has the end of a stitch sticking out slightly (but doesnt touch your face so doesnt really matter), but otherwise they are good. ...

On the first pair I got in July there were no plastic coverings. They were just in the box protected by foam on all sides. I know for a lot of people it's a deal breaker but from the pictures of the scratches I've seen on this thread I wouldn't like it but I wouldn't much care if they did have a scratch or two on the gimbals, it wouldn't warrant a replacement in my book. I know for a fact I'll eventually get a scratch or two on them myself but to each his own. 

@saxelrod92,

I hear you man. I wish the whole headphone industry starts makes deeper & wider earpads to accommodate our different earsizes.

It would be nice if they made small medium and large earpads like they do with IEM tips. 

Sep 14, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #8,139 of 21,171
  Nah the Focus A pads have smaller external opening, but much more room inside for the ears. The ears are supposed to "tuck in".

That's exactly what I found.  When I put them on I sort of move them around to let my ears settle into the opening.  I don't find this uncomfortable at all.  I've tried many headphones and very few have been terrible, comfort wise, the only one so bad I sent it back was the NAD HP50.

Seeing as how the pads are so affective to the sound, I would think that different size pads would create another world of issues for HFM and endless debates on which pad modded which way would sound best...  

Sep 14, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #8,140 of 21,171

That's exactly what I found.  When I put them on I sort of move them around to let my ears settle into the opening.  I don't find this uncomfortable at all.  I've tried many headphones and very few have been terrible, comfort wise, the only one so bad I sent it back was the NAD HP50.

Seeing as how the pads are so affective to the sound, I would think that different size pads would create another world of issues for HFM and endless debates on which pad modded which way would sound best...

Maybe even in a separate thread!

Sep 14, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #8,143 of 21,171
The Focus A are softer and decompress more. What good is extra space inside when your ears touch the driver? My right ear protrudes slightly more than the left ear and this is problematic most of the time
The Focus pads are my top contenders for most comfy pads ever tried atm

Sep 14, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #8,145 of 21,171
  If you stretch out the headband enough, the clamp won't be near enough to compress your earpads too much to the point of having your ears press up against the drivers.

Excellent advice.  It's not difficult to adjust it both ways to achieve the optimal clamp.  Too loose and you don't get a good seal.  Just be sure the sliders are all the way down to expose the maximum amount of band.  That's the key to getting a good grip for bending.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back