= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Aug 7, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #6,571 of 21,175
^On Jerg's mod thread a number of people were using panty hose beneath their new grills as dust covers, this fabric is ver close to what my SoundLabs had, fabric without a metal grill off any kind.

Aug 7, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #6,572 of 21,175

I didn't mean chuck the metal just something a little more acoustically transparent than the black stuff on the current grilles.  I worry about dust so just wire mesh would still make me nervous.

I've had my HE500s regrilled sans any dust screen for well over a year; stored them in drawers when not in use, and every couple of weeks just gently blew some air at the drivers through the grills. Zero issues, and even close examination of the driver membrane reveals no accumulation of dust or hair.

It just comes down to caretaking. If you can't do that much then sure, go the safe route.

Aug 7, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #6,573 of 21,175
I've had my HE500s regrilled sans any dust screen for well over a year; stored them in drawers when not in use, and every couple of weeks just gently blew some air at the drivers through the grills. Zero issues, and even close examination of the driver membrane reveals no accumulation of dust or hair.

It just comes down to caretaking. If you can't do that much then sure, go the safe route.

+1 i was careful too..put them always in a bag after use..no dust whatsoever for a year also..and no faults.. U just have to care well for the stuff and not just let them lay around as so many do..

Aug 7, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #6,574 of 21,175
Hello,

I was looking into getting the HE-500s and then these came out and everyone seems to like the 560s more so now I want to get these instead.

This is going to be a big step up for me since I currently have Ultrasone HFI-580s with Asus STX card.

Im giving myself $2k setup so ~$900 for the headphones and the rest for a DAC and amp. I was looking into the Bifrost uber and val2/lyr or the WA7 firefly. This is planned to be my "end all" headphone (God I hope so) so I'm looking for the ideal setup for this headphone. Future flexibility with the DAC/amp wouldn't be a bad thing though.

Thank you all in advance!

Edit: I'm also not a DIY kind of person either

Aug 7, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #6,576 of 21,175
  That's why you bend it.

Like I do.

See? Hardly noticeable.

And personally I think my regrilling mod attempts look pretty damn snazzy. Just gotta line up the grill mesh patterns with the magnet grid orientation, tuck the wiring inside to the edges, maybe adhere some black felt strips on the inner cylinder surfaces to make it all dark around the driver openings.

I like those grill.
Where did you get them?

Aug 7, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #6,577 of 21,175
+1 i was careful too..put them always in a bag after use..no dust whatsoever for a year also..and no faults.. U just have to care well for the stuff and not just let them lay around as so many do..

Lol, I leave mine on my table when not in use and they STILL haven't really accumulated any dust/hair

Aug 7, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #6,578 of 21,175
Hello,

I was looking into getting the HE-500s and then these came out and everyone seems to like the 560s more so now I want to get these instead.

This is going to be a big step up for me since I currently have Ultrasone HFI-580s with Asus STX card.

Im giving myself $2k setup so ~$900 for the headphones and the rest for a DAC and amp. I was looking into the Bifrost uber and val2/lyr or the WA7 firefly. This is planned to be my "end all" headphone (God I hope so) so I'm looking for the ideal setup for this headphone. Future flexibility with the DAC/amp wouldn't be a bad thing though.

Thank you all in advance!

Edit: I'm also not a DIY kind of person either

Just use ur asus and get a decent amp. You can always upgrade if at all worthwhile to do so..

Aug 7, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #6,580 of 21,175

I like those grill.
Where did you get them?

Check my mod thread yo 
rolleyes.gif

Aug 7, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #6,581 of 21,175
What amp do you recommend then? WA2?

There are a lot of amps to choose from in ur pricerange...if u read back a few pages u will see lots of good candidates..well..all adviced amps are in ur price range anyway or lower, there is minimal to no interest (or love for that matter, something i honestly still dont understand for a phone at that price) in higher price range amps on this thread..so ur luck..lots of info :D

Tip: not everyone like the he560 more then the he500.. The he500 has a different soundsignature...the he560 is not just a supercharged he500... And when i had my he500 with the 337 i couldnt wish for more...and nowadays ucan get one for really cheap as everyone is jumping onto the he560 hype train..just as it were when the he500 came out :D

So maybe that would be a good alternative, and then u could get a better amp/dac. To get to ur max budget of 2000usd... I am one of the few people here that dont believe a good phone is all that matters..that impacts the sound the most...its just a shame that if u get a 900usd amp and then use a 400usd amp and dac to drive it....i found out and some with me..that its just a balance act..not just about buying the most expensive headphone u can buy and then filling up ur budget with a low tier amp or dac.... Its like putting the biggest turbo on ur car and then not upgrading ur brakes and shocks/springs etc. enough to cope with that power...when it gets tough u get into trouble..yeah..straight on u fly...but the road is never straight...i believe it same thing with audio.... Imho..but hey..am like a profet talking to the unbelievers... :wink:

Aug 7, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #6,583 of 21,175
The garbage bin?

Or the metall grill u use on those throw away BBQ kits of only a few bucks..but be carefull..those are sharp..i cut my fingers badly with those :xf_eek:

Aug 7, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #6,584 of 21,175
Or the metall grill u use on those throw away BBQ kits of only a few bucks..but be carefull..those are sharp..i cut my fingers badly with those
redface.gif

Yep.. that's what I picked up last night.. $3.. seems flexible enough to cut through fairly easily.. but won't collapse in a stiff breeze.

Aug 7, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #6,585 of 21,175
Just use ur asus and get a decent amp. You can always upgrade if at all worthwhile to do so..

What amp do you recommend then? WA2?

More something like the asgard, then use the asus, I guess. Not really a believer in spending extreme amounts on amps and DACs. I'm like 85% with StanD on that one.
Pick your poison and don't hesitate to ask questions. And I think the first question you should ask yourself is what you actually expect and want from a great amp/DAC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back