= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Aug 7, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #6,556 of 21,171
Another feedback for the HE-560. However, I won't be providing any impression on the sound of the cans since the 560 is my second cans beside my SR80i. I'm a speaker guy and I'm using the Schitt stack as well as the ASUS STX 2 in conjunction with the 560.

Some background information: My 560 was one of the first production pair that was sent out. However, I can only receive my HP about a week ago since it was sent to the wrong address (my old address). Luckily, people at my old house keep the package until I can collect it.

Packaging and the box:
My box got dented and damaged on one edge. The HFM aluminium nameplate on top is filled with tiny scratches. Even the black paint that make up the HFM branding and logo got scratches. Not really a good first impression.
HFM could have done a lot better if they make foam that protect the edge and corner of the box, instead of using flat rectangular pieces of foam on the side of the box. Thicker foam will do wonders as well. Just some simple packaging practices.

The headphone:
There are tiny scratches and tiny dent on the C shape holder.
The threads of the 4 screws that hold together the C shape holder are worn as well (these screws are located on both sides of the printed L and R). I wonder if the worn thread will make repair harder later, or will it promote rusting if enough sweat gets in contact with the screws?
The headband holder on my left side is quite loose compared to my right side.
At low frequency at around 20-30Hz, there is a very soft rattling sound coming out of the right cup. I still don't know what to do with this issue, hopefully it will fade away.

So those are all the negative/issues with my 560. I won't be returning my 560 unless the rattling problem is not solved somehow.

The thing is, I'm enjoying listening to the headphones at this very moment, even with my newbie systems. If 560 comes with longer cable, more angled pad maybe (to mimic the effect of speakers), and better QC, then I will be one satisfying customer. Right now I'm just a happy one.

And btw, I thought pre-order customers are supposed to receive 2 types of earpad (old and new design). And how about that $100 anyway?

Aug 7, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #6,557 of 21,171
I really really like these headphones... but still not sure if I'll keep them! I don't usually use open-backs (only at home) and I still feel I miss a bit of warmth I like...

Aug 7, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #6,558 of 21,171
I really really like these headphones... but still not sure if I'll keep them! I don't usually use open-backs (only at home) and I still feel I miss a bit of warmth I like...

Get a warmer sounding amp? :D

Aug 7, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #6,559 of 21,171
Get a warmer sounding amp?
biggrin.gif

Hahaha
tongue.gif

(thought about it actually!!! But I'm limited by space... if not, I'd probably even try one of those huge vintage blocks some people here, Hi @Oregonian!, like so much! :) ).

Aug 7, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #6,560 of 21,171
Hahaha :p
(thought about it actually!!! But I'm limited by space... if not, I'd probably even try one of those huge vintage blocks some people here, Hi @Oregonian
!, like so much! :) ).

Vintage? No need for that...want huge? Well Think 337/339 and on top of that u get to have super fun with tuberolling :D

Aug 7, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #6,561 of 21,171
Yeah, I'd gladly do the grill mod if I wasn't worried about dust or other particles getting in there... Or getting it damaged somehow (surely pretty easy without protection)
And I worry that a thin layer of cloth along with the bugger grill opening defeats the purpose as the sound improvement would be even less...
It's like driving your car with the hood open... Or dented :p

I love the sound anyway and am looking forward to comparing them with the 400i :D

No mods for now :xf_eek:

Aug 7, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #6,562 of 21,171
  That exposed cable termination in the inside of HE cans is not cool looking like clockwork.

That's why you bend it.

Like I do.

See? Hardly noticeable.

And personally I think my regrilling mod attempts look pretty damn snazzy. Just gotta line up the grill mesh patterns with the magnet grid orientation, tuck the wiring inside to the edges, maybe adhere some black felt strips on the inner cylinder surfaces to make it all dark around the driver openings.

Aug 7, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #6,563 of 21,171
That's why you bend it.

Like I do.

See? Hardly noticeable.

Lolz...smart thinking..looks good jerg! Didnt expect form u otherwise :wink:

Aug 7, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #6,564 of 21,171
Do you just use regular black spray paint for this? Any tips on getting it to adhere better?

Yeah, nothing fancy.  The black is Krylon, I think, and the red some brand that is sold at my local True Value hardware store.  I might actually get glossy black, as that will probably look better.  As for getting it to adhere, just two coats on the out-facing side.  With the car grills material, it's easy to tell which side is meant to face out, but you could always flip it over.  One thing that might help it stick better would be roughing up the surface with sandpaper.  You'd just have to be careful not to make it too rough, as paint might not hide the final texture.  I wouldn't bother, though, unless a first attempt doesn't take.

I would make painting the penultimate step, if you're affixing a dust shield, otherwise painting would be last.  I'd shape the grills and make sure you can mount them easily before painting.  I had to thin the edges of my first pair after painting, and that forced some touch up work.

HTH.

Aug 7, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #6,566 of 21,171
  That's why you bend it.

Like I do.

See? Hardly noticeable.

And personally I think my regrilling mod attempts look pretty damn snazzy. Just gotta line up the grill mesh patterns with the magnet grid orientation, tuck the wiring inside to the edges, maybe adhere some black felt strips on the inner cylinder surfaces to make it all dark around the driver openings.

Very nice.  Forgive me for not reading the mod thread but did you try different material backing at all?  I tried removing the grills but keep getting the feeling the headphones would jump off my head and get damaged ..
tongue.gif
  Seriously, the concern about damage outweighs all running with it open.  And maybe it's my Stax background but I really don't want dust in there.
I thought that maybe a very sheer piece of stocking material, stretched and glued?

I notice you are using your own pads too...  Is that the "superpad" then, the one that combines the benefits of the Focus and the Focus-A?

Aug 7, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #6,567 of 21,171
  Nice looking jerg.

Is this grill mod completely reversible?

Of course. The thin retaining plastic ring you can see there pops right off (it's just secured by friction via 4 small tabs wedging into 4 slots milled into the cup), that's the only thing holding the stock grills in place.

Very nice.  Forgive me for not reading the mod thread but did you try different material backing at all?  I tried removing the grills but keep getting the feeling the headphones would jump off my head and get damaged ..
tongue.gif
  Seriously, the concern about damage outweighs all running with it open.  And maybe it's my Stax background but I really don't want dust in there.
I thought that maybe a very sheer piece of stocking material, stretched and glued?

I notice you are using your own pads too...  Is that the "superpad" then, the one that combines the benefits of the Focus and the Focus-A?

Someone did try some tulle weave fabric instead of solid metal grills for the mod, IMO it is a viable alternative but I think fabric compounds the closed effect of the grills more than the rigid component. I did some tests a long time ago and arrived at that conclusion.

These are Jergpads. I'm swapping between these and the two hybrid pads in order to finish a portion of my review writeup of these cans.

Aug 7, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #6,568 of 21,171
Originally Posted by jerg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Of course. The thin retaining plastic ring you can see there pops right off (it's just secured by friction via 4 small tabs wedging into 4 slots milled into the cup), that's the only thing holding the stock grills in place.

Great, that's very good to know, thanks!

Aug 7, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #6,569 of 21,171

Yeah, nothing fancy.  The black is Krylon, I think, and the red some brand that is sold at my local True Value hardware store.  I might actually get glossy black, as that will probably look better.  As for getting it to adhere, just two coats on the out-facing side.  With the car grills material, it's easy to tell which side is meant to face out, but you could always flip it over.  One thing that might help it stick better would be roughing up the surface with sandpaper.  You'd just have to be careful not to make it too rough, as paint might not hide the final texture.  I wouldn't bother, though, unless a first attempt doesn't take.

I would make painting the penultimate step, if you're affixing a dust shield, otherwise painting would be last.  I'd shape the grills and make sure you can mount them easily before painting.  I had to thin the edges of my first pair after painting, and that forced some touch up work.

HTH.

Thanks for the advice! I'll work on them once the grills that you recommended come in!

Aug 7, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #6,570 of 21,171
Originally Posted by jerg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Someone did try some tulle weave fabric instead of solid metal grills for the mod, IMO it is a viable alternative but I think fabric compounds the closed effect of the grills more than the rigid component. I did some tests a long time ago and arrived at that conclusion.

I didn't mean chuck the metal just something a little more acoustically transparent than the black stuff on the current grilles.  I worry about dust so just wire mesh would still make me nervous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back