= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Aug 6, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #6,498 of 21,175
Everything is getting very well broken in. These headphones continue to astound me, I mean really. There is quite a bit of my music now that is much more 3D, and with a quality that is hard to explain. Very dimensional with nothing blurring the sound of anything else. It is like having a headphone with multiple drivers on each side! 

I have had zero QC problems. They look great, no scratches or issues of any type and are extremely comfortable to wear for extended periods of times. 

Aug 6, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #6,499 of 21,175
Everything is getting very well broken in. These headphones continue to astound me, I mean really. There is quite a bit of my music now that is much more 3D, and with a quality that is hard to explain. Very dimensional with nothing blurring the sound of anything else. It is like having a headphone with multiple drivers on each side! 

I have had zero QC problems. They look great, no scratches or issues of any type and are extremely comfortable to wear for extended periods of times. 

+ 1.

Aug 6, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #6,501 of 21,175
  On both of my HE-500's that I had, I removed the grill cloths, and never had any dust problem with them hanging on a clothes type hook about 5 feet off the floor... I never had a problem of any kind. And, like I said a little earlier, after 75 hours of break-in on the HE-560's, I removed the grill cloths. That was a given.  I had the same result as with the 500's, really opened up the soundstage, removing a veil over the music.

This afternoon I just had to see for myself about this re-grilling. No, I haven't re-grilled yet, but I did remove the grills. OH, MY GOODNESS! I COULD NOT BELIEVE THE RESULTING SOUND! ABSOLUTELY STUNNING! 

(...)

I think I'll try.

But the HE-560 does not have too much treble with removing the grills ?

Aug 6, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #6,502 of 21,175
Treble shouldn't increase by removing grills, or so Jerg says. It mostly impacts openness and imaging to some degree as I understand.

Personally, I never thought it to be wortwhile.

Aug 6, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #6,503 of 21,175
Nope. If you remove the screen on the ear side of the driver you might increase the treble but quite the opposite if any at all when removing on the other (grill) side.
I think I'll try.

But the HE-560 does not have too much treble with removing the grills ?

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #6,505 of 21,175
  On both of my HE-500's that I had, I removed the grill cloths, and never had any dust problem with them hanging on a clothes type hook about 5 feet off the floor... I never had a problem of any kind. And, like I said a little earlier, after 75 hours of break-in on the HE-560's, I removed the grill cloths. That was a given.  I had the same result as with the 500's, really opened up the soundstage, removing a veil over the music.

This afternoon I just had to see for myself about this re-grilling. No, I haven't re-grilled yet, but I did remove the grills. OH, MY GOODNESS! I COULD NOT BELIEVE THE RESULTING SOUND! ABSOLUTELY STUNNING! 

OK, Matt Poe... bring your Senn 800's and we will have a blindfold shootout... winner take all. I'm really confidant of what I have now!

I had one of my favorite SACD orchestral tracks playing... I had paused it in the middle of the track, and it only took me one minute to remove the grills using my thumb nail. I put them right back on and pushed play. Man... the soundstage enlarged, both width and depth... transparency increased... and focus and quickness quadrupled. Then I put another favorite on... just a plain live recorded CD of Eric Clapton's "Plugged"... and his stage was also enlarged and I heard those guitar strings really sound live... and his voice came forth... and his backup gals really stood out on the left side of the stage.

If I had been blindfolded and someone was running the show, I would have thought I might have had a different headphone. No, I would have recognized the characteristics of the 560... but they jumped to a higher level. 

I will be careful not to touch the planar drivers, but I will not put the grills back on... I can't... I'm hooked!

Uh oh, I think I've been called out. 
blink.gif
  I accept the challenge. Prepare to get whooped. 

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #6,506 of 21,175
Treble shouldn't increase by removing grills, or so Jerg says. It mostly impacts openness and imaging to some degree as I understand.

Personally, I never thought it to be wortwhile.
+1 i agree..had it on my he500 for a year..enhanced the sound...recommended

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #6,507 of 21,175
Hifiman should really use a thinner mesh for the driver covering (something skin to the driver or pad fabric) along with less dense grills...
As of now, removing the grills is something I am not decided I wanna do...

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #6,508 of 21,175
Aug 6, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #6,509 of 21,175
Okay, I'm gonna try the grill removal on the 400i. What's the safest way without chancing scratching the paint or damaging the grills?

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #6,510 of 21,175
I think he said that he never thought it to be worthwhile :)
was referrin to post of soundsgoodtome..lolx... i loved the grill mod on my he500. Made customgrills of my own to use..so originals kept safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back