= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Aug 2, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #6,316 of 21,171
thank you! I intend to do exactly as you say. Do you have firsthand experience of the Philips Fidelio X1 and how they stand up against more expensive headphones?

Sorry I haven’t, but several seems to think that it has a balanced and neutral sound. That’s good qualities if used as a reference tool - for me any way.

My guess is that they are not as good as a good driven Hifiman 500/560. I have had the 500 and now have the 560 and both need a good amp.

Aug 2, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #6,318 of 21,171
thank you! I intend to do exactly as you say. Do you have firsthand experience of the Philips Fidelio X1 and how they stand up against more expensive headphones?

Just noticed you're in Sweden. In my shop I sell the MullToa line of composting toilets that are made in Sweden. Cheers.

Aug 2, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #6,319 of 21,171

I have direct experience with the X1. Owned it for a month. Good treble, soubdstage and instrument separation but the mids were just a hair too recessed for my taste and bass was more prominent than I'd like.
The 560 is definitely the brighter (read more detailed in the treble) and more balanced of the two.

Aug 2, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #6,322 of 21,171
I have direct experience with the X1. Owned it for a month. Good treble, soubdstage and instrument separation but the mids were just a hair too recessed for my taste and bass was more prominent than I'd like.
The 560 is definitely the brighter (read more detailed in the treble) and more balanced of the two.

thank you! I like my X1. I raise them a bit in the midrange and lower pretty much around 300 hz. then they sound really good with my stuff.

Aug 2, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #6,324 of 21,171
hey guys! I want to ask you for some advice. I have a pair of Philips Fidelio X1 and source hifiman 601 with Haedstage Arrow 4g. I am looking at upgrade solutions. Headphones Hifiman 560 or 400 !. and as source, I have looked at Chord Hugo. I can not afford to buy both the headphones and source at the same time. What do you think I should start with. What makes the greatest diference upgrade headphones or source?

Best regards
Jonny

Depends..****ty components with a high end headphone makes the headphone sound ****ty..best is to find a balance..mid tier components and a he560 as example...and using lossless material helps also
And ofcourse it also depends on ur budget..buying a 800usd phone and the use it on 100usd amp is not the right road to go imho ofcourse

Aug 2, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #6,325 of 21,171
hey guys! I want to ask you for some advice. I have a pair of Philips Fidelio X1 and source hifiman 601 with Haedstage Arrow 4g. I am looking at upgrade solutions. Headphones Hifiman 560 or 400 !. and as source, I have looked at Chord Hugo. I can not afford to buy both the headphones and source at the same time. What do you think I should start with. What makes the greatest diference upgrade headphones or source?

Best regards
Jonny

I would put in a vote for headphone first, source chain second.

Aug 2, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #6,326 of 21,171
Definitely go for the headphone 1st. You will notice the differences far more when changing headphones compared to most amps and DACs. Of course there are amps and DACs that will make sonic differences, but they are usually far less noticeable than when changing headphones. IMHO...

Dale

Aug 2, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #6,327 of 21,171
You don't want much pressure when bending headband or you will end up like me with one side wider than the other. Just nice steady pressure hold it for a minute or two and it will loosen up. The band is flexible and taking it out of the box incorrectly will bend it. 

Aug 2, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #6,329 of 21,171
My 560's will be here Tuesday:clap:!!!!!!

Aug 2, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #6,330 of 21,171

thank you! I like my X1. I raise them a bit in the midrange and lower pretty much around 300 hz. then they sound really good with my stuff.

I also wouldnt say that apart from the bass boost on the x1 that the 560 is more balanced either. I tend to think there is a disconnect between the audiophile and the actual professional studio realm, where a headphone like the focal spirit pro, adam 7's speakers, NAD's etc is spot on balanced and bright equipment sometimes makes for dark mixes. The 560 is more tuned for the average detail hungry audiophile who most likely will call something with neutral highs dark. The 560 is upward tilted and the x1 is downward tilted. The x1's mids are not recessed but since the instruments are softer it seems that way. 

- Do expect to effortlessly hear the different placement of instruments, though its not a tall soundstage by any means its a lot wider. If I am wrong here its because the imaging and instrument separation is a huge step up above the x1 whose soundstage could be as wide but I couldnt tell and cant remember well enough.

- I wouldnt say the he560 has more mids as far as balance goes, maybe that its mids are less distant and definitely more accurate/refined.

- The highs, though far more detailed, wont be a small jump in qty coming from the x1 to the 560. The upper register is not even close IMO with the philips being neutral. The transparency wont be a small jump either.... It will be like someone took the cotton out of your ears when you put the 560 on.

- The bass will be no small step down in qty coming from the x1 until you cross the right song where the 560 surprises you and you take them off to look at them like "did this bass light headphone just do that,
basshead.gif
confused.gif
well I guess it aint bass light". Dont expect to ever hear tighter a bass than the 560 unless you pay <$1000 usd, even though you can come close with the he400 which is a gateway headphone, that I personally would choose the x1 over(again ...my opinion).

- Do expect detail and to have to match it with the right gear for the "Forgot I'm wearing headphones" effortless enjoyment sessions. So expect to have to build a rig around it because its qualities are proving to be very much worth it to me despite me disagreeing with the majority consensus of it being balanced. Its not far from the mark IMO

lol he already thanked everyone for the help... sorry skipped over reading that. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back