= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Aug 1, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #6,286 of 21,175
  I was getting fed up with my 560's clamping pressure so just today I took the top of the headband with both of my thumbs, and bent it to reduce the clamping pressure.  Now I feel at home again.

Interesting.  I was thinking about where it turns down; maybe bend it outwards at those points.  Well, no monkeying around with these just yet.

Aug 1, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #6,288 of 21,175
For those who have already done the regrilling mod on the HE560s, and just want to squeeze out that last bit of treble detail and air, you can opt to trim off the dust filter on the hybrid pads, as HE560's face-facing side of the driver already has a built-in dust filter. Of course it is permanent and irreversible, so just be aware of that.

It's also really cool to stare down the earpad and see the (near)naked driver with its membrane tracings.

Aug 1, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #6,289 of 21,175
  For those who have already done the regrilling mod on the HE560s, and just want to squeeze out that last bit of treble detail and air, you can opt to trim off the dust filter on the hybrid pads, as HE560's face-facing side of the driver already has a built-in dust filter. Of course it is permanent and irreversible, so just be aware of that.

It's also really cool to stare down the earpad and see the (near)naked driver with its membrane tracings.

What's the effect on the bass. Does it remain unaffected or reduce in weight & slam?

Aug 1, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #6,290 of 21,175
Some seriously beautiful sub-bass in Amon Tobin's "Stoney Street" from Bricolage.  Never felt like this on other cans.  Good schiit.

Aug 1, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #6,291 of 21,175

What's the effect on the bass. Does it remain unaffected or reduce in weight & slam?

The only thing the dust filter affects is that it diffuses the very extremities of the high frequencies slightly; with it gone treble details should "pop" a bit more, nothing else is changed.

The dust filter fabric used on the hybrid pads are very thin to start with, so even its effect on the treble is very minute. That's why I said "...(if you) want to squeeze out that last bit of treble detail and air"; don't bother doing this if you haven't even done the regrilling mod.

Aug 1, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #6,293 of 21,175
  This is what I did and it worked great. The headband is surprisingly malleable so it doesn't take much pressure. 

Hmmm, I was trying to bend them out a little, and thought I used pretty good force, but they didn't seem to budge.  The top is pretty flexible, but it's definitely stiffer at the bend.  I'll give it another go tomorrow.  Thanks for confirming it's possible.

Aug 1, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #6,294 of 21,175

Jerg...

I guess I missed the grilling mod...  is this something that most anyone can do, or does it take a metalsmith?

If I take the 560 grill off and drill some of the holes larger... will that work? Or can you guide me to the right place to see the replacement grill?

Aug 1, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #6,295 of 21,175

Hmmm, I was trying to bend them out a little, and thought I used pretty good force, but they didn't seem to budge.  The top is pretty flexible, but it's definitely stiffer at the bend.  I'll give it another go tomorrow.  Thanks for confirming it's possible.

Lol yeah, I tried bending at the two bends too, and they were surprisingly rigid. It does give slightly after holding a flex there for 5 seconds or so though.

Jerg...

I guess I missed the grilling mod...  is this something that most anyone can do, or does it take a metalsmith?

If I take the 560 grill off and drill some of the holes larger... will that work? Or can you guide me to the right place to see the replacement grill?

My sig. It's a mod I first described for HE400s but applies to any HFM headphone really, since they all use the exact same grills and same grill-retaining rings. You can also flip through the images posted in that thread to get a sense of how others did the mod. The intent is to reduce the amount of material backing up the grill-side of the drivers, which has a notable effect on the openness of the sound.

Aug 1, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #6,296 of 21,175
Sussed it in the end.  Since I need the slider almost fully extended, it was right up near the bend.  Once I collapse them and got a good purchase, I was able to carefully apply sufficient pressure.  Et voila! no more clamp 
smily_headphones1.gif
  I may even bend it back ever so slightly.

The only bummer seems to be that the Q701 pads are a little too big.  Don't get a good seal (gapped at the bottom).  If the cups extended just a little further, I think they'd work.  Maybe I'll try again now that I've loosened it up.  Worth one last try.  The FocusPads are much nicer now that they're not trying to pop my eyeballs out 
eek.gif

Aug 1, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #6,297 of 21,175
Thanks to A fellow HeadFi'r I am moving into the 560 neighborhood! Jerg, I am guessing your mods affect the warranty, no? Plan on pairing them with my Lyr 2, though I now need to upgrade my DAC (does it ever end :fearful:), looking at the Bifrost or Gungnir, recommendations are welcome.

Aug 1, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #6,298 of 21,175
Thanks to A fellow HeadFi'r I am moving into the 560 neighborhood! Jerg, I am guessing your mods affect the warranty, no? Plan on pairing them with my Lyr 2, though I now need to upgrade my DAC (does it ever end :fearful:), looking at the Bifrost or Gungnir, recommendations are welcome.

Grilling mod is reversible, so they'll never know.

Bifrost Uber + Lyr is a fine combo, so the Lyr 2 should slot in nicely.

Aug 1, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #6,299 of 21,175
Grilling mod is reversible, so they'll never know.

Bifrost Uber + Lyr is a fine combo, so the Lyr 2 should slot in nicely.

When I was playing Linebacker, one of my nicknames was "hands of stone", so I may have to practice a bit to insure that it is reversible!

I probably will go with the Ubër Bifrost and my little iFi Nano iDSD slipping in for what little music I have in DSD.

Any advice on aftermarket cables? :cold_sweat:should you dare to tread there......

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #6,300 of 21,175
When I was playing Linebacker, one of my nicknames was "hands of stone", so I may have to practice a bit to insure that it is reversible!

I probably will go with the Ubër Bifrost and my little iFi Nano iDSD slipping in for what little music I have in DSD.

Any advice on aftermarket cables? :cold_sweat:should you dare to tread there......

Yes, you need to be careful removing the plastic retaining rings.

re: cables, I turned to DIY.  I've got a couple to test against the stock cable.  I've also got a nice, expensive aftermarket cable from plusSounds.  I'd stick with the stock cable for starters, unless you need or want a longer cable.  The stock is great for sitting at a desk or whatever, but if you need to get up and move around, you'll be limited.  Plenty of people will recommend plenty of cables 
wink.gif

HTH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back