= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Aug 1, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #6,271 of 21,171
No, the balanced out from the DAC goes to my NAD integrated and the unbalanced goes to the A18 (which isn't truly balanced anyway). I am more of the school of thought that it is brain-adjustment to the new signature that happens (but it could be hardware for all I know) so hopefully it will take well less than 100 hours before you really hear the full capability of the 560. Are those three old farts Rush? I am a big fan (seen them I think ten times now) including the Clockwork Angels tour which was really very, very good.

Oh yeah, the A18 is the faux balanced model.  I'm definitely on board with the brain burn-in more than can burn-in, so that's part of the change I will listen for.

Yep, those three old farts.  I think I'm celebrating my 34th Fanniversary (just made that one up.  Copyright = Me 
wink.gif
).  My wife and I saw them twice on the last tour, turning the second gig into a chilly early May mini beach vacation.  I love tons of bands, lots of different genres, but they never get old for me.  Good thing Peart re-married, cuz my wife has a wee crush on him.

Off to the P.O.!

Aug 1, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #6,272 of 21,171
  I run HE-400 from PC-> iFi iPOWER->iFi iDAC->iFi iCAN

Do you guys think I will hear any improvements if I buy HE-560 and run it from the same chain?
Is it worth the money?

Thanks in advance / GJ

Conventional wisdom is that by upgrading the speakers (or headphone) in an audio chain has the best chance of yielding audible sonic gain. In this case, there is little doubt that the 560 is quite a step up from the 400 (personal taste is another matter, some may like the 400 signature more). As long as the amp can drive the 560 to a pleasant listening volume for you and you appreciate the different signature of the 560 it seems unlikely that you wouldn't like the move. Will it be worth the extra money? Well that is subjective and only you will know the answer. Heck if you try the 560 and it doesn't float your boat it should be easy enough to sell them and not take a huge hit. That said, if you love the 400 and cash is a serious concern maybe just stick with what you have? Sorry if this isn't that useful a  response.

Aug 1, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #6,274 of 21,171

Conventional wisdom is that by upgrading the speakers (or headphone) in an audio chain has the best chance of yielding audible sonic gain. In this case, there is little doubt that the 560 is quite a step up from the 400 (personal taste is another matter, some may like the 400 signature more). As long as the amp can drive the 560 to a pleasant listening volume for you and you appreciate the different signature of the 560 it seems unlikely that you wouldn't like the move. Will it be worth the extra money? Well that is subjective and only you will know the answer. Heck if you try the 560 and it doesn't float your boat it should be easy enough to sell them and not take a huge hit. That said, if you love the 400 and cash is a serious concern maybe just stick with what you have? Sorry if this isn't that useful a  response.

It was a really good response, thanks. Money is not a concern tbh, but I would be mad if I spent such money and gained almost nothing.
I really like my current sound, maybe I'm just asking for too much. Forgot to give you guys any information about sound signature, but I listen to mostly Hip-Hop and Drum'n'Bas and I like it warm, nice quick, slamming base and what some refer to as "fun" sound.

Aug 1, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #6,275 of 21,171
  It was a really good response, thanks. Money is not a concern tbh, but I would be mad if I spent such money and gained almost nothing.
I really like my current sound, maybe I'm just asking for too much. Forgot to give you guys any information about sound signature, but I listen to mostly Hip-Hop and Drum'n'Bas and I like it warm, nice quick, slamming base and what some refer to as "fun" sound.

Slamming bass probably doesn't describe the 560 well. It can be very good bass (I listen to a lot of electronic music myself) so I think I know what you mean. From everything I have read the 400 is a more bass focused (quantity wise) headphone than the 560. It seems that the 560 bass is more articulate and nuanced with the ability to thump, but it may not be quite impactful enough bass for you. Ideally there would be a head-fi member near you who would let you take your gear over and listen to their 560.

If money isn't a concern, I would take a chance and see. Even within "bassheads" there is variation about how much is enough bass and some are willing to give up some slam for a little more accuracy for instance. I really like how the 560 does bass, at least with my new amp. I found the bass a little less engaging through my departed Asgard 2. I hope you figure out what you are going to do and post in the thread as I would love to hear what a bass lover feels about the 560s abilities.

Aug 1, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #6,277 of 21,171
Just got some new info, true or not? channel imbalances can apparently be caused by some microscopic dust on the drivers, which comes from the factory conditions in China. I was told that this issue can be solved by playing loud music through them for a few minutes. I burned them in a bit and now it feels more balanced, things moved a bit to the right (or maybe i'm just kidding myself and this is some super placebo in effect). Such a fun hobby... learning things everyday :D

Anyone know anything else about this magic dust?

Aug 1, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #6,278 of 21,171

evil_smiley.gif
I think the guys in the hi-end cable industry would...

Channel imbalance by microscopic dust? First I've heard of it. How do you know it's there if you can't see it? And how did you test imbalance? SPL meter or it was very apparent?

Aug 1, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #6,279 of 21,171
My first production pair had a channel imbalance. I had run them for about 12 hours on pink noise at a fairly loud volume. I had them replaced (took less than a week). The replacements have been great, listening to Boston as I type this. 

Aug 1, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #6,280 of 21,171
  Just got some new info, true or not? channel imbalances can apparently be caused by some microscopic dust on the drivers, which comes from the factory conditions in China. I was told that this issue can be solved by playing loud music through them for a few minutes. I burned them in a bit and now it feels more balanced, things moved a bit to the right (or maybe i'm just kidding myself and this is some super placebo in effect). Such a fun hobby... learning things everyday :D

The only easy test to check is sinewave sweeps. Actual measurements would be the most accurate by far but IMO not needed if you just want to check if there is major imbalance left.

Aug 1, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #6,281 of 21,171
  The 560s are really AMAZING with Prog Rock/Metal!  (I'm currently listening to the latest Dream Theater.)

I have the album and they sucked out all the bass from it. WTH is that about?

Aug 1, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #6,283 of 21,171

Yeah I know, the production is now very good on the last album.

Now I'm listening to Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence :wink:

I think with the crazy compression there was just so little dynamic room left for strong bass signals in the tracks. Loud does not equal better, but sadly record labels (and many artists seem to ignore that fact).

Aug 1, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #6,284 of 21,171
Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh 
smily_headphones1.gif

REALLY diggin' the HE-560s.  Have about two hours head time with them (left them running for nearly four hours, though), but already very impressed.  No joke these are quite different than the HE-500s.  Now I get the whole warm/lush description of the latter.  The HE-560s pull out more detail and stick it all in an excellent soundstage, and that's with stock everything.  I've only got the FocusPads, as mine arrived with one FocusPad and one FocusPad-A (already own a pair of the former, thankfully).  I've requested a pair of the FocusPad-As be sent.  I'm not finding any annoying frequencies yet, but again, limited head time.  One thing I immediately like about this sound signature is what it does for poorly recorded or mixed stuff.  Take Rush's Exit... Stage Left, which can sometimes sound like a muddy mess (HE-500s were no solution).  Maybe it's better separation, but that album already sounds better, though its flaws are evident still, maybe more so.  Listening to Hugh Laurie's two albums, the separation and details really shine, and the upright bass is fantastic; just the right amount of thump.

I won't say too much about the sound, but since I can't see it changing for the worse, I'm happy.  The bass is wonderfully accurate.  Quite different from the HE-500s and my bass-port modded Q701s, which have quantity but not this accuracy.

The only slightly negative thing I can say about them is the clamping pressure.  It's far greater than any other cans I've worn.  At first it was almost too much.  After a few adjustments and 30 minutes or so it became less annoying.  Unfortunately, I can't say they're invisible when worn.  Also, I'm at the limit for extension.  If my head were bigger, I'd have to return them.  Granted, I'm 6' 5", so I guess that comes with the territory.  FocusPads are OK comfort-wise, but I'm used to more space.  I'm using some of the thick, whitish packing foam inserts folded in half and wedged between the stand and pads to help stretch them out a bit.  I sure hope the clamp eases up given time.

Speaking of packing, I don't know if they've modified how they ship them, but mine came with said foam between the display box and cardboard box, and two larger pieces above and below.  No dents or damage to the box.  My wife wants it for her jewelry or some such.  Everyone's a winner! 
wink.gif
  The cans themselves appear to be flawless.  Veneer looks good (a bit on the dark side, vs. reddish; I like it), maybe the slightest of scuffs on the gimbal, but I had to squint to see it.

But hey, enough of my yakkin'. What d'ya say? Let's boogie!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back