= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 25, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #5,896 of 21,171
Really? I thought they fixed it with the current Focus-A pads now. AFAIK Fang told me they are now symmetrical and mirrored.

Mine Focus-As came matched FYI,
So there's truth to what he said.
Perhaps the ones that came from pre-orders are sold out now.

Jul 25, 2014 at 2:21 AM Post #5,897 of 21,171

Yes, it would, esp. when I pay the difference in price.  It's not like I'm asking for two headphones.  They keep an HE-500 in stock for sale or (eventual) replacement, and make a sale on the HE-560s.  But whatever.  Either way I'm getting a pair of new HFM headphones.

What happens to the warranty then? Would you expect them to provide you with full warranty on the HE-560? Should they cover the repair cost on the HE-500, too?

Doesn't really work that way 
biggrin.gif

Jul 25, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #5,898 of 21,171
20 hours burn in he560 update

I think my mind has been burned in moreso than the headphones themselves. I also turned both my he560 and lcd-2 on loud and listened to their predominant resonance side by side without actually putting them on - this isn't an indicator of how they should sound when worn properly, but I was just curious. On the outside, it sounds like lcd-2 is actually more airy and open than the he560. 

onto listening:

The treble is still very much defined in the he560, and is probably the most pervasive feature I can note. This means electronic music like skrillex - bangarang really stands out. Also, fast paced music is mostly done well with these. It has been well established that the mids of both he500/560 are very pronounced, and I would agree. As long as the track has vocals, they will make themselves known, despite at times sounding forced and somewhat colored by treble.

Same thing goes for the bass. I now understand why there are many people who appreciate the bass response, as it is clean, and kicks in on music with rhythmic beats.

If I were to personify the bass response in the he560/LCD-2, a conversation with them would go something like this:

Me: Drop the bass!!!
He560: No worries, I got you son. Going to drop it right here yo
LCD-2: Been doing it since before you were born, boirefish.

Overall with the he560, the bass, mids and treble all have a way of distinguishing themselves, but together they sound a little try-hard, like three teenagers in a small room trying to one up each other, with each subsequent story told being more grandiose than the previous, so someone splits them up into different rooms.

The LCD-2 is them 40 years down the track - an engineer who married a 10/10 and has the perfect family, a CEO who could have retired 20 years ago but enjoys his lifework and lives frugally, and the warmest gastroenterologist you'd ever meet, always with a story to tell. Now these three are just reminiscing together, the room is overflowing with modesty, and it just feels like they haven't had a good drink together for too long. 

Jul 25, 2014 at 3:15 AM Post #5,899 of 21,171
This might seem harsh but in my opinion the TH900 should be priced at half the msrp. Maybe it was the Eddie Current amps or Bifrost DACs on both counts but they didn't impress twice I've auditioned them.

Maybe one of those where you gotta let it burn in your brain? Who knows..

Honestly, that's about right. I won't own an HD800 ever, but I know many will, and I know why. Similarly, many will not get the TH900 even if it were half the price, for very good reasons. HE-560 does almost everything better except the bass, for hundreds less. Still, I've never heard bass as well defined as the TH900. And if bass is a very important part of a music for someone, TH900 will be worth the high cost, despite it's serious deficiencies. 

Jul 25, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #5,900 of 21,171
On my code-x and all the audezes the thick part of the pads is on the back side of ur head..the smaller is in front..has to do with staging or something...google for it
wink.gif

I know that's how it is on most headphones and was surprised to see the thin part in the back, but that's how they came. It would make sense to have the thick part in the back since ears angle out in the back like someone said. Check out moon audio review, you can see from the pictures the thick part is in the front. 

I think the proper way to angle the pads is how you like 
atsmile.gif

Jul 25, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #5,902 of 21,171
I know that's how it is on most headphones and was surprised to see the thin part in the back, but that's how they came. It would make sense to have the thick part in the back since ears angle out in the back like someone said. Check out moon audio review, you can see from the pictures the thick part is in the front. 

I think the proper way to angle the pads is how you like :atsmile:
when i had my he500, i bought the modular 2.0 angled pads...and i experimented around with the position of the thick part, and this is what i found out:

When the thick side is on the back the soundstange is further away..as if ur on the second or third row listening to a concert.
When the thick side was in front the soundstage was as if the artists were on my lap...so much closer..as if they were around me...more 'in ur face sound'

Although i preferred the front-thick part better at first..it did fatique at a certain moment..so i went back to the thick in back configuration..and used that until i sold him to a very happy new owner :wink: my 123 on this angled thingie :D

Ps..maybe they turned the thin part on the back so it fits better in the case? My code-x was delived like that..otherwise he would never ever fit in the orginal he5 case :wink: it was then just a turn to the back action and then voila...music.

Jul 25, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #5,903 of 21,171
People not knowing the thick part of the pads go on the back-side of the ear is actually a thing.  Between the LCD-X,XC and now HE-560, I can count at least 10 instances of family and friends putting them on backwards.

Jul 25, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #5,904 of 21,171
when i had my he500, i bought the modular 2.0 angled pads...and i experimented around with the position of the thick part, and this is what i found out:

When the thick side is on the back the soundstange is further away..as if ur on the second or third row listening to a concert.
When the thick side was in front the soundstage was as if the artists were on my lap...so much closer..as if they were around me...more 'in ur face sound'

Although i preferred the front-thick part better at first..it did fatique at a certain moment..so i went back to the thick in back configuration..and used that until i sold him to a very happy new owner
wink.gif
my 123 on this angled thingie
biggrin.gif

Ps..maybe they turned the thin part on the back so it fits better in the case? My code-x was delived like that..otherwise he would never ever fit in the orginal he5 case
wink.gif
it was then just a turn to the back action and then voila...music.

Actually, I looked at the pictures of 6moon audio review again and some other pictures and it does look like the thick part is in the back! I recorded the unpacking of my pair and looked at it this morning. The thick part is definitely to the front. I can tell because the cable connects are angled forward and that's where the thick part is. Maybe mine was one off or that's just how they come? 

But I switched it this morning to where the thick part is in the back for the first time and listened for around an hr. This is more comfy! There is less clamping and it sounds airier.

Jul 25, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #5,905 of 21,171
  What happens to the warranty then? Would you expect them to provide you with full warranty on the HE-560? Should they cover the repair cost on the HE-500, too?

biggrin.gif

Speaking of warranty, I noticed the warranty on the 560 is 1year in the in the included pamphlet. The pamphlet that came with the 500's talks about a 3 year warranty. 

Jul 25, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #5,906 of 21,171
Are they serious?

Jul 25, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #5,907 of 21,171

biggrin.gif

And yet they seem somewhat willing to do it, for a slight premium.

So, a question for everyone who owns or is familiar enough with the HE-500s and the HE-560s:

if you had to choose between the two, which one would you choose?

TIA 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 25, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #5,908 of 21,171

And yet they seem somewhat willing to do it, for a slight premium.

So, a question for everyone who owns or is familiar enough with the HE-500s and the HE-560s:

if you had to choose between the two, which one would you choose?

TIA 
smily_headphones1.gif

I've only had around 20-30 hrs listening time with both, but the comfort level alone on the 560's is bar none the better choice. I'm also enjoying the clarity over the more disguised sound of the 500's.

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #5,909 of 21,171
  Speaking of warranty, I noticed the warranty on the 560 is 1year in the in the included pamphlet. The pamphlet that came with the 500's talks about a 3 year warranty. 

Just double-checked the pamphlet in my soon-to-be-returned HE-500s:

"One-year free repair when used according to our recommended instructions."

But on head-direct.com they offer refund (within 30 days) or replacement.  Anyway, didn't see three years mentioned anywhere.  And as listed on my order:

Warranty
(Refund/Replacement)

30 / 365 Days​
(From 2014-4-3 16:00:00)​

down to the freakin' hour! 
wink.gif

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #5,910 of 21,171
  20 hours burn in he560 update

I think my mind has been burned in moreso than the headphones themselves. I also turned both my he560 and lcd-2 on loud and listened to their predominant resonance side by side without actually putting them on - this isn't an indicator of how they should sound when worn properly, but I was just curious. On the outside, it sounds like lcd-2 is actually more airy and open than the he560. 

onto listening:

The treble is still very much defined in the he560, and is probably the most pervasive feature I can note. This means electronic music like skrillex - bangarang really stands out. Also, fast paced music is mostly done well with these. It has been well established that the mids of both he500/560 are very pronounced, and I would agree. As long as the track has vocals, they will make themselves known, despite at times sounding forced and somewhat colored by treble.

Same thing goes for the bass. I now understand why there are many people who appreciate the bass response, as it is clean, and kicks in on music with rhythmic beats.

If I were to personify the bass response in the he560/LCD-2, a conversation with them would go something like this:

Me: Drop the bass!!!
He560: No worries, I got you son. Going to drop it right here yo
LCD-2: Been doing it since before you were born, boirefish.

Overall with the he560, the bass, mids and treble all have a way of distinguishing themselves, but together they sound a little try-hard, like three teenagers in a small room trying to one up each other, with each subsequent story told being more grandiose than the previous, so someone splits them up into different rooms.

The LCD-2 is them 40 years down the track - an engineer who married a 10/10 and has the perfect family, a CEO who could have retired 20 years ago but enjoys his lifework and lives frugally, and the warmest gastroenterologist you'd ever meet, always with a story to tell. Now these three are just reminiscing together, the room is overflowing with modesty, and it just feels like they haven't had a good drink together for too long. 

Boirefish, very nicely put - what a great way describing the two hp's with a family timeline analogy!

The more I go back and forth between the 2.2 & 560, I consistently wished for the 2.2 to have more of the upper midrange and air as in the 560.  With the 560, to complete the package with my ears, I only wish that it has more of that syrupy lower midrange, larger dimenionality of perceived image (fuller with more "meat"), and perhaps a touch more subbass from the 2.2.  If these two can merge into a sort of hybrid, that would make my day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back