= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 25, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #5,926 of 21,171
  For my preferences , HE 560 in a heart beat !!,  in fact i already sold the 500

Thanks for the feedback.  It didn't take nearly as much deliberation as I thought it would 
wink.gif
  Hopefully I'll have the 560s by next weekend 
L3000.gif
  Off to UPS!

Jul 25, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #5,928 of 21,171

That was my understanding of how to achieve the desired effect, but obviously this approach is more complex and time consuming. Is there a specific way to go about doing what you suggest? When I do EQ, I use a parametric EQ so if one did decide they preferred to EQ upward, would a modest nudge upward and narrow notch setting with a parametric be less destructive?

You can add a filter with paraEQ to just push everything down by X number of dBs I think...been a while since I played around with one but I do remember having to do that. So what you'd do is have the manual hump up at the frequencies you want to emphasize, then a broad filter to push the whole FR down just enough for the peak of the hump to be right at 0.

What you are talking about is a preamp setting in the parametric equalizer.  If you EQ up it can cause clipping, clipping is controlled by the preamp setting.  I use jRiver Media Center 18 from my PC to EQ.  It is OK to EQ up if you have the preamp setting to lower the level of all frequencies.  jRiver has a display that registers the preamp level in percentages.  jRiver also has clip protection and flat line overflow setting.  If you don't have a preamp setting, best to just EQ down where needed to control clipping and distortion!  There is a rule somewhere (read that when learning how to EQ), not to EQ up in more than 1 or 2 frequency ranges.  I am only familiar with jRiver Parametric EQ, but other software programs may also have this capability, works really well.

Jul 25, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #5,929 of 21,171

I hope you can get an in-home demo, as I find it hard to believe you'll haul your PaG to a show.  Oh wait, it can't drive 'stats!  What's a (soon to be) poor boy to do???  
wink.gif

I can always buy the wee of wooaudio...to use with my amp:wink:
Ps.. I already hauled my PaG to a comparision with some other high end amps (some speaker amps) last week..i even posted pics about that last week:) missed it? But yeah..it was an ordeal to transport it to them
redface.gif

Doesn't it take a week to charge up all of those capacitors?

Jul 25, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #5,930 of 21,171

Thanks for the feedback.  It didn't take nearly as much deliberation as I thought it would 
wink.gif
  Hopefully I'll have the 560s by next weekend 
L3000.gif
  Off to UPS!

I see you caved in and your wallet took a beating. Now the hard part, waiting. 
popcorn.gif

Jul 25, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #5,931 of 21,171
Doesn't it take a week to charge up all of those capacitors?
i know u say that as kind of a joke..but..

nope..at least 5hrs until its decent sounding..after i came home it took 2days to sound at its normal level..its so weird..never experienced this...but their BC nsl/nsp has same thingie..and as my amp has same insides..well..thats why i never switch it off..or better said..i cant switch it off as it doesnt have an on-off switch...

Jul 25, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #5,932 of 21,171
I see you caved in and your wallet took a beating. Now the hard part, waiting. 
popcorn.gif

I did, but it was the perfect opportunity to get the HE-560s, and not have to justify $900 to the wife 
wink.gif

popcorn.gif

popcorn.gif

popcorn.gif

annnnnnd to get a little exercise to fight off all those calories...

deadhorse.gif

Jul 25, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #5,933 of 21,171

I did, but it was the perfect opportunity to get the HE-560s, and not have to justify $900 to the wife 
wink.gif

popcorn.gif

popcorn.gif

popcorn.gif

annnnnnd to get a little exercise to fight off all those calories...

deadhorse.gif

Was she in a coma? Or how did you reciprocate?

Jul 25, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #5,934 of 21,171
  Was she in a coma? Or how did you reciprocate?

I promised she could borrow them... 
biggrin.gif
  Seriously though, she's building up to something, I can feel it.  As soon as I sell one of our cars (that I bought for $1, so it's like 60% profit after repairs and what not) the trap will be sprung.  She'll have to yell over the HE-560s, though 
wink.gif

Seriously, though, and on topic, hardly wait to slap those Q701 pads on 'em, and probably fairly promptly those sweet wide open red grills 
darthsmile.gif

I did request (in three different communiques) the FocusPad-As.  Hope that deal is still going on.  I really don't need two pairs of FocusPads.

Jul 25, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #5,935 of 21,171
I consider the he560 to be the real engineering feat and breakthrough in planars to date..

Why?
1- Size to weight
2- Sound quality of a one sided magnet driver..

An overlooked but HUGE feat..

It would be alot easier to achieve sound quality with double sized magnets...

AND,
Would be easy for them to just make a more compact portable unit, like the PM1, at a lower sonic level ("mid tear" level, which pm1 is to me)

So in reality the he560 is THE ground breaking headphone in planars. ..
:p
:p

Jul 25, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #5,936 of 21,171
I got my Focus pads in today..  Interesting coming at this from the other approach, ie, from the Focus A to the Focus.
That little "sparkle" I was anticipating is there but I'm on the fence whether I like the Focus over the Focus A.

With the Focus pads, I feel like the leading edge of notes is quicker and more detailed but that can sometimes have a little bit of harshness or "tinniness".  There's the occasional wince at a overly piercing piano note.  Also, I feel that this quickness gives a little better instrument separation but the soundstage depth and imaging isn't quite as good as with the Focus A.

I think I will leave in the Focus pads and get used to that sound and go back to decide which I prefer.  

I don't really find that the fit is particularly better with either pad.

Jul 25, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #5,937 of 21,171
All the different pads. I think that whatever you have you need to give time to fit to your head, that is the most important end point, IMO. 

The 560's have rapidly become my favorite headphone. They have air, they have bass, they have transparency, impact, transient speed. Hanging notes so natural but no bleeding frequencies from one note to the next to obscure the auditory information. Does it for me. :^)

Jul 25, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #5,938 of 21,171
A quick note on the bass...  If you are familiar with Max Richter's Memoryhouse, the opening piece called "Europe after the Rain" begins with the sound of rain which is so full of subtle notes that it's almost impossible to sound like the real thing.. the Stax does it and the 560s are very close, but then there is the distant rumble of thunder...

The first time I heard this piece was with Denons and I thought that one of the kids was riding the little car on the hardwood floor above me until I took them off..  I haven't felt the thunder like that on a headphone since until the HE560s, even the Stax.  It is a remarkable feat for a headphone to fool your mind into thinking that you are feeling that kind of bass in your body..
It's very strange to take off the headphones and hear silence in the room..

These continue to impress..

Jul 25, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #5,939 of 21,171
  All the different pads. I think that whatever you have you need to give time to fit to your face, that is the most important end point, IMO. 

The 560's have rapidly become my favorite headphone. They have air, they have bass, they have transparency, impact, transient speed. Hanging notes so natural but no bleeding frequencies from one note to the next to obscure the auditory information. Does it for me. :^)

+ 1 . By the way , which pads are you using ?

Jul 25, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #5,940 of 21,171
  I got my Focus pads in today..  Interesting coming at this from the other approach, ie, from the Focus A to the Focus.
That little "sparkle" I was anticipating is there but I'm on the fence whether I like the Focus over the Focus A.

With the Focus pads, I feel like the leading edge of notes is quicker and more detailed but that can sometimes have a little bit of harshness or "tinniness".  There's the occasional wince at a overly strong piano note.  Also, I feel that this quickness gives a little better instrument separation but the soundstage depth and imaging isn't quite as good as with the Focus A.

I think I will leave in the Focus pads and get used to that sound and go back to decide which I prefer.  

I don't really find that the fit is particularly better with either pad.

That's the main thing that I notice outside the bass differences I get.  I love the Focus A's bass, but the Focus' love/hate treble :p  Why can't we just combine the two into a super-pad :p  LOL.  I've swapped back to the Focus pads.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back