= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 5, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #4,396 of 21,175
Now, now, the differences are pretty small, not likely something to exaggerate...
The headphone still sounds good and the new pads are still very comfy

Jul 5, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #4,397 of 21,175
Not velour, the underside lining is a continuous weave of a permeable mesh fabric, sorta kinda like a very coarse stocking material.

Gotcha. Sorry for not searching but did you get good results on the 560 pre production pad vs Jergpad?

I'm wondering if going to a jergpad vs modding the new pad is a better route

Jul 5, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #4,398 of 21,175
I like mine how they are :) Arrived back home today and set them up. Just listened to "the titanic song" lol (My Heart Will Go On) which was so beautifully relaxing..
L3000.gif
 They sound so natural and lifelike.. I feel I can sleep while wearing them and listening which means a lot coming from someone who can't sleep at all usually with music on. Not fatiguing at all and a lovely tone overall.

Jul 5, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #4,399 of 21,175
Now, now, the differences are pretty small, not likely something to exaggerate...
The headphone still sounds good and the new pads are still very comfy

I get that, but audiophiles live for miniscule improvements. Hell, we have people seriously trying to argue lossy vs lossless which is microscopic in comparison to the decibel differences between the pads at certain frequencies.

Just knowing that the original pads sounded better (just looking at the graphs, it isn't hard to believe that) and were more comfy, before the fools started complaining about something they didn't even own yet, is frankly, quite upsetting. Because of those few who complained about pretty much nothing, we get inferior pads.

What irks me most, is that they hadn't even TESTED the headphones or pads themselves before they cried about them. If the concerns were legitimate, I'd understand. They sure as hell were not.

Jul 5, 2014 at 5:52 AM Post #4,401 of 21,175
Yup. They were scared that their ears wouldnt fit, and HFM promptly changed them. The few people who actually acquired the pre-pros didn't complain, which makes it all the more...just...ugh.

Apparently, the pre pads had a sort of lip to tuck your ears into, giving enough clearance for ears to fit into, while the pro pads are walled. This leads me to believe the ear space wouldn't have been an issue regardless. I've owned headphones with small openings but ample space under the lip, and they were super comfy pads (Skullcandy Slyr).

The deed is done, and now we have to deal with knowing we get inferior pads, as slight as it may be. I just wish HFM would've at least stuck to their guns on the pads, since that's something easily fixed HAD it been a legit problem.

Jul 5, 2014 at 5:57 AM Post #4,402 of 21,175
Wow... talk about when listening to the consumer goes wrong. Tough specially this Head-fi crowd too, who will dissect every inch of the phone.

I'd be up for the small vs large opening option as well. (That's what he said?) Willing to bet a good portion would put up with the smaller opening if it meant better sound.

Jul 5, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #4,403 of 21,175
I'm stating this, because the topic of discussion recently has been the pad swapping, which is something that many of us won't have a chance to do, if HFM no longer has any pre-production pads. So we'll be sitting here twiddling our thumbs, wondering and lusting for the pre-pads. THAT is why I'm irked. I have no doubt the current pads are fine, but knowing the old ones were better, and can no longer be had...well, surely you understand why some of us are salty.

The community shot itself in the foot.

Jul 5, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #4,404 of 21,175
I asked for the pre pads today. I'll let you know when I get a response.
I'd love to have the production pads and preproduction pads side by side to compare.
I am not so sure the preproduction ones have been discontinued so we'll see...

Jul 5, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #4,405 of 21,175
Update on my initial impressions
The moment Hifiman said they would send new HP I new it could potentially be a difficult situation. There is driver differences, and even the same HP/speaker can sound different.
I kept the preorder model because of sound - and even tried it on one of the kids - same imediate response :). I dont know what the reason is and there is no reason to go into the differences, upsides and  as the production model is what there is and that is just fine.
Finish is far better on the production model and it looks good and absolutely not plasticky imho. It obviously had to be changed or there would be to many complaints. The new cable is more comfortable.
I tend to prefer the sound in the preorder pads, and slightly tend to prefer the comfort of the new pads. 
Enjoying my 560. Its a fantastic product.

Jul 5, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #4,406 of 21,175
Whoa, whoa Mad Lust Envy, let's not jump the gun and get bitchy over this whole ordeal.  I wouldn't even bring these measurements to the 560 topic if I thought something couldn't be done about it.  

Hifiman was very quick to respond to Head-fi in regards to earpad size and the wood finish of the preorder 560.  Chances are they'll be fast to respond to this issue as well, if enough voices are heard. I know Jerg in particular is very interested in the topic, and will probably try to convince Hifiman to start making the older pads again, or at least give the option for them.  When I ultimately choose which version of the 560 I want, I will also be relaying this information to Hifiman and try to persuade them.  If others join in it can only help make the response from Hifiman a reality. They could even possibly make them again with matching sets and better stitching like the newer models.  I have good faith in Hifiman to make the right decisions for the community after looking at the measurements.

There's also the fact that a lot of people prefer the sound of the newer 560, calling it cleaner and more articulate.  A good bit of that could be them liking the coloration of that 6db hump at 4khz, but if that's what they like then that's what the like.

I think at the end of the day, the ideal response from Hifiman would be to offer both the newer pads with the perforated pleather and larger opening with this measurement knowledge in hand, and the older pads with possibly better finish, and allow the users to tune the sound of their 560s using either pad, very much like Oppo does with their PM-1.

Jul 5, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #4,407 of 21,175
An option between the old and new pads would be great - Even better if we can purchase the pads ourselves and do some "pad rolling".
Not sure how this would affect Hifiman in terms of stock-keeping and inventorying though.

I would really like to have a longer cable too - The current one is like 6ft and a little extra? Let's see what aftermarket options we have...

Jul 5, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #4,408 of 21,175
Wasn't the complaint about the original pads limited to the size of the opening?  I don't recall anyone suggesting that HFM should change the material/construction, just make the opening a little larger.  I could be wrong, but that's my recollection.  Funny how much pads can color the presentation (says the man with six different pads for his HE-500s
biggrin.gif
 ).  While having a choice would be great, I wonder about the practicality of manufacturing both.

Jul 5, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #4,409 of 21,175
  I think there's something wrong if you start comparing the HP50 to the HE-560, first of all it's a different technology, secondly it is open vs closed and third they are in a completely different league. Both are excellent, in their own way. (before you ask, yes I have both)

I agree. Both are excellent headphones yet are really quite different. HE-560 is also three times as expensive. It is a different animal. 

Peter

Jul 5, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #4,410 of 21,175
  Wasn't the complaint about the original pads limited to the size of the opening?  I don't recall anyone suggesting that HFM should change the material/construction, just make the opening a little larger.  I could be wrong, but that's my recollection.  Funny how much pads can color the presentation (says the man with six different pads for his HE-500s
biggrin.gif
 ).  While having a choice would be great, I wonder about the practicality of manufacturing both.

Yes, that is correct. For certain size heads and ears the pads were not a perfect fit so the openings were made slightly larger.

Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back