= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 5, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #4,427 of 21,179
Hifiman admitted themselves that they did not size their pads taking their main target demographic into account. A lot of beta testers were noting that due to the pads being soft that it wasn't really an issue and that their ears tucked nicely into the pads. A lot of the concern was due to the firmness of previous Hifiman velour pads. I certainly wouldn't want them to touch my ears as they are really firm. That Hifiman responded so quickly to change these in my view, imply that they were already planning on revising them. I really doubt that they would make a quick knee jerk reaction based on a couple of Head-fiers opinions. I would have liked if they kept the construction the same and only increased the inner diameter slightly because of the comfort factor, but if it improves sound quality I'm all for it. I've ordered the new pads for my HE-500s so quite interested to see what turns up. I'm 100% positive that any of their newer pads will be a major improvement over the old velour pads.

We should give Hifiman a bit of breather as well, these new headphones are a major revision and with new products, some unforeseen things always turn up... Its nearly unavoidable in engineering. I really think they were amazing in how quickly they responded to the situation, especially with the wooden cups of the preorder versions. Being an engineer myself, its one of the reasons why I avoid being an early adopter, unless I can convince myself that I really need that product right now and can deal with it if isn't quite 100% perfect.

Jul 5, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #4,428 of 21,179
  Relax guys. Anyone that knows Fang and HiFiMAN knows he would only make a change if he felt it was an improvement. I will ask him what the changes were and why and let you know.

Peter

Certainly would like to see the response.

Jul 5, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #4,429 of 21,179
Seriously people? Fang and company knock it out of the park with an amazing sounding headphone at a respectable price and some of you are going to cancel your orders because there may be a very slight difference in pad design? Now who am I to judge, but that seems like the biggest overreaction possible. Why not listen and see for yourself? As has been suggested here several times, if the difference is significant enough you can bet you will be offered the option to purchase different pads (maybe even at a discount who knows). Personally I couldn't give a rats ass about the pads, I am very happy to get my 560 here and start enjoying it. If a little down the road an option becomes available, great I will likely try that as well. I hope the team at HiFi Man realize that the vast majority of head-fiers (from what I can tell) are very greatful for the responsiveness, and professionalism exhibited by Fang and crew.

Jul 5, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #4,430 of 21,179
Jeez, first it was "change the pre-production pads", now it's "bring back the pre-production pads"

and, as far as I can tell, the people making the most noise about both are people that a) never had the pre-production version and b) still don't have the production version!

If you are one of the folks that hasn't yet received your HE-560s, just relax and take a listen to your headphones when they arrive at your door, you may be surprised to find that they are just right for you as they are! 

We now return you to impressions of the revised HE-560, already in progress...
popcorn.gif

Jul 5, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #4,431 of 21,179
Jeez, first it was "change the pre-production pads", now it's "bring back the pre-production pads"

and, as far as I can tell, the people making the most noise about both are people that a) never had the pre-production version and b) still don't have the production version!

If you are one of the folks that hasn't yet received your HE-560s, just relax and take a listen to your headphones when they arrive at your door, you may be surprised to find that they are just right for you as they are! 

We now return you to impressions of the revised HE-560, already in progress...:popcorn:  

Actually, it's the people that didn't have the preproduction that wanted the pads changed. People with the 560 never wanted them to change; they had no issues with them. Now, it's the people with the production that want them changed back. Lol. The older pads were more comfortable. Though I do enjoy that extra treble bite, it can definitely harm some songs.

Jul 5, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #4,432 of 21,179
Not meaning to incite panic, and not having heard either HE-560- just saying that right now I don't even know what pads (pre or not) would be received- much less if there is an option or not to switch later.

Jul 5, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #4,433 of 21,179
Not meaning to incite panic, and not having heard either HE-560- just saying that right now I don't even know what pads (pre or not) would be received- much less if there is an option or not to switch later.

All current orders will ship with the new pads. There is no mystery to that.

Jul 5, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #4,434 of 21,179

We now return you to impressions of the revised HE-560, already in progress...
popcorn.gif

I disagree partly; the "bring back the pre-production pads" crowd is largely people who have both preorder and production HE560s/pads, and is supplemented by both direct subjective impressions AND objective measurements, unlike the first movement which was all hearsay and paranoia.

Jul 5, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #4,435 of 21,179
Well, I had both and they both sounded pretty good so give 'em a listen before deciding that you need the original pads to replace the new pads (and this isn't directed at any one individual). And, no, I'm not going to say what I think of the old or new pads since YMMV from mine. Cheers.

EDIT: BTW, per Jerg's post, if I am incorrect and most of the folks that want the old pads back had the pre-production versions back, I stand corrected.

Jul 5, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #4,436 of 21,179
All current orders will ship with the new pads. There is no mystery to that.

Indeed. Easy half of the issue answered.

More interested if the pre prod pads would ever be available to new buyers or not? Especially if pre prod removes sonic measured peaks.

Jul 5, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #4,437 of 21,179
Out of curiousity, does this 4khz peak on the new production HE-560 make them have a similar sonic signature as the Sennheiser HD 600, except for higher resolution with the HE 560?
The Sennheiser HD 600 sort of has a similar peak around 4khz according to various frequency response graphs from vatious sources...

Jul 5, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #4,438 of 21,179
Well, I had both and they both sounded pretty good so give 'em a listen before deciding that you need the original pads to replace the new pads (and this isn't directed at any one individual). And, no, I'm not going to say what I think of the old or new pads since YMMV from mine. Cheers.

EDIT: BTW, per Jerg's post, if I am incorrect and most of the folks that want the old pads back had the pre-production versions back, I stand corrected.

Jerg is right in his statement.  The majority of the people who want the old pads back have heard both.  The majority that wanted new pads for the originally never even touched, or saw, the original pads.  If they did, this could have had an entirely different outcome.  IMO, the housing change was probably necessary with the issues HiFiMan was having, but the pads were fine :p

Indeed. Easy half of the issue answered.

More interested if the pre prod pads would ever be available to new buyers or not? Especially if pre prod removes sonic measured peaks.

Doubt it, if Fang didn't feel they sounded better, he would not have replaced them. 

Jul 5, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #4,439 of 21,179

Wasn't the complaint about the original pads limited to the size of the opening?  I don't recall anyone suggesting that HFM should change the material/construction, just make the opening a little larger.  I could be wrong, but that's my recollection.  Funny how much pads can color the presentation (says the man with six different pads for his HE-500s
biggrin.gif
 ).  While having a choice would be great, I wonder about the practicality of manufacturing both.

Yes, that is correct. For certain size heads and ears the pads were not a perfect fit so the openings were made slightly larger.

Peter

While only receiving the production model and not having the opportunity to try the pre-production pads, I'm surprised at the notion the production pads are somehow inferior. I don't have particularly big ears but as is, my ears are barely encompassed by the production pads, but any contact is still comfortable. I can't imagine pads with a smaller opening... more contact with the external ear would likely bother me too much. And then there's the sound - again, without having heard the pre-production, I'm still extremely pleased with my new HE-560s. So far they are comparing very favorably to my HD800s, albeit with some minor differences. The extra bass of the HE-560 means I'll likely use them for more rock/pop/metal whereas my HD800s will stick with instrumental/classical/jazz/vocals.

While it would be interesting to hear from Hifiman on the possibility of releasing the pre-production pads to market, I can't see myself trying them due to the perceived lower level of comfort I'd expect from the reportedly smaller opening. Even if the sound signature was changed and considered by most as 'superior'. I'm loving what I'm hearing now and will gladly accept the production signature as the way it is meant to be.

Dale

Jul 5, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #4,440 of 21,179
The production pads have slightly larger openings, but the inner wall is just that-- a wall; more akin to Audeze pads or the Oppo pads.  The previous pads had an inner lip, where the ears could tuck under, more akin to hifiman's previous pad offerings.

And I agree, there's nothing bad about the production 560 with production pads, it's not as if you're going to get that combination and think 'omg this sounds awful why did I buy this.'  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back