= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jun 21, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #3,646 of 21,171
  Well...?  
blink.gif

They're so good they melted his brain.  A crack team of scientists is reconstituting it as I type.  That, or he's hunting down a poor DHL driver or warehouse manager.

Jun 21, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #3,648 of 21,171
Tried the 'new' HE-560 at ChiUniFi meet today.  Was unable to A-B them against my "woody" 560 as HiFiMan was keeping a tight rein on the cans.  What I heard from their set up (an EF-5 amp and one of their portable players) seemed a lot different than the experience with my audio-gd amp.  Much smoother and in control of the top end.  Can't make too much of a judgment though as the set up was so different.  Several people were saying they really wanted to hear the new version amped better.

As far as looks go, I really have to say I prefer the wood finish to the veneer.  The veneer just wasn’t as nice. The plastic outer bezel, meh.

My woody version was tried out on several amps in the room to general approval.  Lots of A-B testing against two different HE-6s on a GSX-mkII, Woo Audio WA5, a class A speaker amp, & several other amps left people favorably impressed with the 560.  I think they were mostly amazed at how light it was.  I felt the HE-6 was the winner in that comparison and I don’t think anyone else disagreed, just a lot of comments about the similarities of the sounds.

The HiFiMan rep (sorry, didn't get your name) indicated availability of the cans in the next couple of weeks, so, getting close.  Although I still haven't received my tracking number after address confirmation
frown.gif

Jun 21, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #3,649 of 21,171
  Tried the 'new' HE-560 at ChiUniFi meet today.  Was unable to A-B them against my "woody" 560 as HiFiMan was keeping a tight rein on the cans.  What I heard from their set up (an EF-5 amp and one of their portable players) seemed a lot different than the experience with my audio-gd amp.  Much smoother and in control of the top end.  Can't make too much of a judgment though as the set up was so different.  Several people were saying they really wanted to hear the new version amped better.

As far as looks go, I really have to say I prefer the wood finish to the veneer.  The veneer just wasn’t as nice. The plastic outer bezel, meh.

My woody version was tried out on several amps in the room to general approval.  Lots of A-B testing against two different HE-6s on a GSX-mkII, Woo Audio WA5, a class A speaker amp, & several other amps left people favorably impressed with the 560.  I think they were mostly amazed at how light it was.  I felt the HE-6 was the winner in that comparison and I don’t think anyone else disagreed, just a lot of comments about the similarities of the sounds.

The HiFiMan rep (sorry, didn't get your name) indicated availability of the cans in the next couple of weeks, so, getting close.  Although I still haven't received my tracking number after address confirmation
frown.gif

I saw some people asking HiFiMan if they could take the 560 over there quickly...  They didn't say no :p  LOL. 

Jun 21, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #3,650 of 21,171
The HiFiMan table was the first table I saw when I entered the meet area and they had just finished setting up (from what I was told).  I met Peter and Summer (both really nice people) and chatted for a bit.  The HE-560 (revised model) was being used at the time, so I took a stab at the HE-400i.  

Before I continue further, I should note that it was noisy at the meet (as one could assume) and the music used to test wasn't mine.  Though I tried my best to find songs/artists/albums that I was familiar with (or closer to what I am familiar with).  
HE-400i

HE-400i

The first thing that I did notice about the 400i was that it was smoother in the midrange with good vocal dynamics.  The upper midrange clarity was actually quite strong as well.  The bass was thicker and had great presence due to the larger body; it had good depth.  Though the treble was more laid back in nature, it still offered good detailing and extension.  It was quite a warm and easy headphone to listen to.  

HE-560

The 560 in contrast was more neutral as a whole (the most neutral of the 4 new planars I auditioned).  The treble had a softer edge to it, compared to the Oppo models, despite having greater quantity.  The treble did also have great detailing and extension up high.  Something that really stood out for me with the 560 was the lower treble and snaps that provided energy.  They did hold a bit of air to them as well.  The 560 has a slightly larger focus on the lower-midrange in contrast to the 400i, it's quite detailed, but didn't feel analytical or clinical in any way (I felt that the PM-2 did sound somewhat clinical in the mids).  

It's been over a month since I've heard the original 560s (and I do miss them, it was a treat to hear the new ones though).  So take this with a second grain of salt.  I feel that the new 560 is a little stronger with the detailing in the lower-midrange as the older model was quite smooth in this area.  It also seemed to have a smaller bass body, but was still punchy and had good texturing down low.  Though the treble quantity didn't change, the other changes (in the midrange mainly) made it seem brighter.  

HE-400i vs HE-560

As you could guess, the signatures of these two headphones are quite different (they are designed to be).  From what I've read, and some of what I heard, the 400i are supposed to be tailored closer to what the HE-500 originally offered.  It's warmer and more relaxed in nature than the more neutral 560.  The 400i has a bigger bass body though both have great depth and presence as a whole.  The 560's midrange isn't as energetic as the 400i's either.  As stated, treble is more up front with the 560.

Designs

In terms of the new design, I'm happy with it.  The wood may not be as thick anymore, or actual hardwood, but the hard-cut lines from the Veneer work very well with the hard-cut lines of the headphone design overall.  The entire design of the 560 has a matted look to it that is more mature as a whole.  Overall, I actually do prefer the new look as it has more complexity to the design.  The hard-cutting lines also make it look less boring.  Though I was told that the wood veneer on the 560 were the same, one did seem to have more of a red-orange hue to it.  

In contrast to the matted mature look of the 560, the 400i has a fun glossy design to it.  The housing shape is similar and it's colored in a deep bluish-silver-slate color.  It's quite attractive and actually looks more flashy than the 560, though the 560's design is much more complex.

Comfort and Fit

The fit on both headphones was great.  The pads have been revised a little to have a bigger inner-diameter (from what I was told) which should help quite a few people out.  They fit perfectly fine and were comfortable.  For me anyway, the fit was unchanged (I have a small head and small ears).  With that said, I expect them to be comfortable in the long run as well (having used the 560 extensively before returning them).  A note on the weight, by hand, there wasn't much difference between them.  Though the 560 measures heavier than the 400i, it didn't feel it on the head or in the hands. 

Jun 21, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #3,652 of 21,171
Tried the 'new' HE-560 at ChiUniFi meet today.  Was unable to A-B them against my "woody" 560 as HiFiMan was keeping a tight rein on the cans.

That's because 1) Fang wasn't there, and 2) You didn't tell them you were going to A/B them with an Oppo PM-1 at a different table nearby. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back