= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
May 31, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #3,199 of 21,171
Nobody wants matte trust me.  The preorder 560 uses a thin application of eggshell-type finish and it works quite well.  I assume the ones in those pictures do too because they have some sheen to them.

May 31, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #3,200 of 21,171
After listening to everything at T.H.E. Show, I'll definitely be ordering the 560. I don't really care for the wood/veneer, but they sounded exactly like I wanted them to out of numerous amps (very consistent sounding). I enjoyed (key term) the 560 more than the HD800 when A/B'ing them. This is all purely subjective, just thought I'd share.

May 31, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #3,202 of 21,171
I sense a choice of finish coming up -- some headphone manufacturers offer multiple colors of the same model, coiled vs. straight cables for instance (ala Audio Technica) -- so why not Hifiman?

May 31, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #3,203 of 21,171
  Nobody wants matte trust me.  The preorder 560 uses a thin application of eggshell-type finish and it works quite well.  I assume the ones in those pictures do too because they have some sheen to them.

I think they mean matted, maybe a sandblasted (textured) plastic.  I don't think they refer to the wood itself, the wood should be somewhat glossy if possible :p  The matted plastic will allow the wood to shine through as a focus a little more. 

I sense a choice of finish coming up -- some headphone manufacturers offer multiple colors of the same model, coiled vs. straight cables for instance (ala Audio Technica) -- so why not Hifiman?

HiFiMan do cable choices easily (if they have multiple cables to offer).  Different finishes is a little tougher for a smaller company.  I can see it a possibility though.

_____

Regarding the cherry vs the regular (?) finish, the pictures, no offense to the person who took them, aren't comparable.  The cherry wood picture is out of focus with more exposure (slightly overexposed) while the regular finish has warm white balancing.  So the colors aren't even comparable with them :/ 

May 31, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #3,204 of 21,171
  Me too -- I vote for natural and matte finish.  Dark teak veneer would be even better.

+1 to the dark teak veneer. Instead of completely matte, I would vote for a semigloss, a bit of sheen without being too plasticky.

May 31, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #3,205 of 21,171
I just realized, by looking at the recent images uploaded by KMSV and TooPoor, that they both took a picture of the cherry version. Considering that the picture took by TooPoor and the "more natural" one took by KMSV are closer in term of exposition, i now prefer the cherry finish (even if it's still probably not representative enough).

May 31, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #3,206 of 21,171
Mine was a super quick iPhone pic
wink.gif

May 31, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #3,208 of 21,171
  Some folks might want to write it off as Audeze finally solving their inconsistency issues, but if my experience with the LCD-X being underwhelming while the LCD-XC being stupid good sounding, while many of the comments on... other forums... are true, then it's still highly possible that Audeze's still suffering consistency issues.

Yours is a loaner pair, no? Could be the people taking care of it...didn't do such a great job? I've heard 3 pair of LCD-X and all have sounded outstanding (and the same). And if you liked the LCD-XC, the LCD-X are that much better to my ears.

May 31, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #3,209 of 21,171
Having said how impressed I was with how they sounded... I must say; I preferred the 'look' of the 400i. BUT, the 560 sounded really, really good which is all I really cared about. What I wish my HE500 sounded like.

As far as the HE 400i v. the 560. HE400i: Heard it through a Woo WA7: sounded really good for $499. Through The EF2, not so much.

The bigger question is HE-6 v. 560. The 6 seemed to have great, sparkly treble. Just sounded very good. The 560 was NOT far behind though... both out of the EF-6. Being cheaper and much easier to drive, I'm going with the 560.

May 31, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #3,210 of 21,171
  Yours is a loaner pair, no? Could be the people taking care of it...didn't do such a great job? I've heard 3 pair of LCD-X and all have sounded outstanding (and the same). And if you liked the LCD-XC, the LCD-X are that much better to my ears.

Nope, my LCD-X I ordered brand new.  The XC was a loaner pair.  

The LCD-X might sound good to a lot of ears, but it's a straight up u-shaped signature, it's not a linear signature.  Enhanced bass, enhanced treble, recessed upper midrange.  Both the XC and LCD2 are more linear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back