= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
May 10, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #2,236 of 21,175
So... what's the deal with the [slight?] signature? change Out of the blue news... kinda important of a change for a last minute tune-up :p Impressions, please? 
popcorn.gif

I understand the bass and lower mids have been enhanced but how does it affect treble [air, extension, etc]?

EDIT: Answers coming in in the other thread

May 10, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #2,237 of 21,175
  So... what's the deal with the [slight?] signature? change Out of the blue news... kinda important of a change for a last minute tune-up :p Impressions, please? 
popcorn.gif

I understand the bass and lower mids have been enhanced but how does it affect treble [air, extension, etc]?

EDIT: Answers coming in in the other thread

Which other thread would that be?  I cant keep up now. 
confused.gif

May 10, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #2,238 of 21,175

Which other thread would that be?  I cant keep up now. 
confused.gif

A bit here - http://www.head-fi.org/t/711974/hifiman-he-560-review/180#post_10535184

May 10, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #2,239 of 21,175

Using Denon 4800 AVR with Analog Devices 1855 DAC, speaker taps output, 125 wpc, being fed by Zu Ash SPDIF, from iFi ILink, iFi IPurifier, Audioquest Diamond USB, iFi IUSB, jRiver MC 18, Jplay running on Windows 8.1!  I also connect to my Jolida Tube DAC III, NOS Brimar 12AX7 to Ming DA tube amp with Mullard NOS tubes, see my sig.  I use speaker taps from the integrated Ming DA which outputs 5 wpc, similar quality sound from both source and amps!

May 10, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #2,240 of 21,175

To me, the mid range really hits the right place. Human voice comes across natural with the right distance and qualities of a natural presentation. What is nice is with the 560's I don't here any frequency shouting out over another, just well balanced sound that is dynamic and open. I can listen to voices in a crowd and they are well placed in an enjoyable realistic manner. I like the way the upper bass and lower mid range transition, there isn't any transition, the whole range is just there. 

One thing that I am noticing with my HE-560 is that the vocals are almost identical to the PM-1, sound and placement, but the instruments playing behind the vocals sound less forward, more distant than in same music played through the PM-1.  Some of the instruments playing on the HE-560 seem to be more removed from the vocalist, and can sometimes sound a little more unrealistic.  Probably not describing that correctly.....the PM-1 is just as wide in the sound stage as the HE-560, but the PM-1 sounds more layered and deeper in sound stage, so maybe that is what I am hearing.  PM-1 just sounds a little more refined and emotional in its presentation!  Like em' both very much, and for me they compliment each other very well.  The HE-560 has a little more of the sparkle and air of the HE-4, but not as dry.  The PM-1 doesn't miss a thing in the treble either.....Loreena McKinnet's albums are a testament to that, there is a lot of treble in her music....soprano voice, harp, violins, mandolins, exotic string instruments...every pluck of the strings are right where they should be, well defined clarity and precision on both headphones though!

This looks like you prefer the pm-1 and like the he560 as a change of pace sometimes. Which one has better/stronger dynamics, punch, and bass impact

I have them equal, but for different reasons....liking the HE-560 more all the time, as the burn in time is just over 100 hrs.  Both have dynamics, punch, and bass impact, it depends very much on the music, and what it calls for.  The HE-560 can sound slightly more thin than the PM-1, imo.....right now I would give the PM-1 a bass impact edge.  The HE-560 wins off of the speaker taps on the 4800 AVR, where the PM-1 is good from the Denon, but It sounds a little more delicate and emotional from the speaker taps of my tube amp.....the SPDIF to the Denon is a Zu Ash, and the SPDIF to the Jolida Tube DAC > Ming Da tube amp is an Oyaide DR 510, and the SPDIF cables both sound slightly different, because I have tried them in swapped locations to where they now reside!  The Audioquest Diamond was put into my system a week ago, and it made a H U U U G E difference in the clarity, detail, soundstage of my total setup!

May 10, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #2,242 of 21,175
Using Denon 4800 AVR with Analog Devices 1855 DAC, speaker taps output, 125 wpc, being fed by Zu Ash SPDIF, from iFi ILink, iFi IPurifier, Audioquest Diamond USB, iFi IUSB, jRiver MC 18, Jplay running on Windows 8.1!  I also connect to my Jolida Tube DAC III, NOS Brimar 12AX7 to Ming DA tube amp with Mullard NOS tubes, see my sig.  I use speaker taps from the integrated Ming DA which outputs 5 wpc, similar quality sound from both source and amps!

Neither dac type have the resolution to show all the 560 transperancy and speed imho.

May 10, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #2,243 of 21,175
Headphone is a headphone and he likes Oppo's signature better, that's it. I feel I'll like the 560 more cause it's more to my taste.
They're different... people like different things! Let's not blame taste on equipment please... I think it's quite sufficient, I'll be going with a lot less and will enjoy the headphone no doubt 
biggrin.gif

Variety is a good thing :]

May 10, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #2,244 of 21,175

Neither dac type have the resolution to show all the 560 transperancy and speed imho.

Please tell me your impressions with the HE-560 and the Denon AVR 4800, and well as the HE-560 and the Jolida Tube DAC III with NOS Brimar 12AX7...you will also need the iFi IUSB, IPurifier, and ILink, as well as the cables that I listed to know how I hear the HE-560.  The complete setup can change total sound going to the HE-560, as well as the jRiver MC, Jplay and Windows 8.1 configuration.  Are you speaking from experience!

May 10, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #2,245 of 21,175
  Headphone is a headphone and he likes Oppo's signature better, that's it. I feel I'll like the 560 more cause it's more to my taste.
They're different... people like different things! Let's not blame taste on equipment please... I think it's quite sufficient, I'll be going with a lot less and will enjoy the headphone no doubt 
biggrin.gif

Variety is a good thing :]

If you want to talk about taste, I prefer a T-bone over a New York!  I like the PM-1 and the HE-560 the same, but may prefer one over the other depending on the setup, and the music, is something wrong with that?  I feel very lucky to have both, plus I'm still alive to enjoy them, for now!

May 10, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #2,246 of 21,175
so this headphone is out yet or not?

thinking of buying it but don't know if its as good as HE-6...

May 10, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #2,247 of 21,175
^^ It's voiced and tuned towards the he-6 signature. It adds improved comfort and new pads and is way more efficient and can be driven by regular desktop amps and not the nuclear power plant required by the he-6. 
biggrin.gif

May 10, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #2,248 of 21,175
  ^^ It's voiced and tuned towards the he-6 signature. It adds improved comfort and new pads and is way more efficient and can be driven by regular desktop amps and not the nuclear power plant required by the he-6. 
biggrin.gif

thats what i've heard at least from hifiman and others, its supposed to be like an easier to drive HE-6. someone else told me that its not as good though, a reputable person.

i know its not as pretty as HE-6, the He-6 looks much nicer with the piano black finish, but if its easier to drive and i can get rid of speaker amp, it would be really nice to have. i can get some money back and don't have to worry about my old speaker amp for using it.

May 10, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #2,249 of 21,175

If you want to talk about taste, I prefer a T-bone over a New York!  I like the PM-1 and the HE-560 the same, but may prefer one over the other depending on the setup, and the music, is something wrong with that?  I feel very lucky to have both, plus I'm still alive to enjoy them, for now!

Nope was meant as a good thing actually! Sorry if it came out wrong!
Glad you're enjoying the music with two brilliant, different headphones 
beerchug.gif

Music will keep you afloat, you got this 
smily_headphones1.gif
 I know exactly how you feel...

May 10, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #2,250 of 21,175
I haven't heard it. Jerg has posted lot's of impressions and as well as a few others. I'm waiting to see what the he400i brings to the table before making a decision. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back