= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
May 10, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #2,221 of 21,171
  I will also provide $100 head-direct gift card for preorder customers to appreciate your feedback, support, and help.

Great customer service, honestly from the response to the ear pad issue (which was in no way an obligation, plenty of headphones are just designed like this), to this I think it tells a lot about the company.

Here are my problems with them:

- The grill retaining ring glue seems badly applied on mine, and has come halfway out on one of the cups, and the grill is following it.
- I'm one of those guys with slightly bigger ears, and they touch the inner cup. So far this hasn't been a problem for comfort but I think it will be a very slight discomfort once I wear them 8 hours a day. It has been with the Oppo PM-1 once the pad has softened, but the problem is more pronounced on the Oppo. No deal breaker but not quite perfect. Firmer pads should completely fix this in my case.
- The pads look uneven, both in the padding and the stitching, and I agree that they should look a bit higher quality in a headphone of this price. This has no impact on comfort.
- The arms holding the cups have also scratched the wood on mine a little.
- The cable sleeve is melted right before the plastic part where the cable splits into 2. Thankfully the damage is limited to the sleeve itself.

That said, both the comfort and the sound are just wonderful, they disappear on my head, which has only happened to me with Senns because of the super light weight and huge ear cups. Better than the Oppo in my case. Which is pretty much the only other vaguely comfortable Planar. They also look great, with only the plastic parts feeling cheap, because of some rough edges and the seams. Still a tradeoff I have no problem making for the added weight and price of metal.

Thing is, to me these are minor QC issues, and up to 2000$ all the competitors I've tried have something that just totally kills it for me. These are the only ones that I don't see myself sending back. HFM also seems very eager to fix all these little problems, while not giving the shaft to the pre-order guys.

May 10, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #2,222 of 21,171
I think Hifiman needs to put their headphones through some torture tests. Like excess cup swiveling, yanking of the cables from the connectors, etc. Things to spot like the wood getting scratched from too much rotating, etc. This way, they know what to expect with people that aren't AS careful as they want.

May 10, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #2,223 of 21,171
I wonder if the $100 store credit will apply to those who preordered from dealers? I have a head-direct account as well of course. Just curios would be nice... It's been a long wait since February :)

Regardless, with a bit bigger/deeper/firmer pads, yokes rubbing fixed and wood perfected this headphone will be mine to keep and I'll sure be cherishing it even more than my past HE-6 :D

Can't wait till I finally put them on... My oh my!

May 10, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #2,224 of 21,171
I miss the forward mids on the he-500 else, it would have been perfect. And the wire is abit too short for me maybe because of the thick sleeve, the he-500s is slightly stretchable. I have average small ears so the pads size was not an issue. Other than the yolk problem, I wish the metal frame had a better finish. The weight was the biggest improvement. I had to give up on the he-500 because of the weight now, it's not an issue. The wooden case is excessive and impractical though and adds alot of shipping weight. Could have just used a smaller case like the old he-500 box or a better portable case.

On a sight note, which other headphones have the same lush forward mids like the he-500?

May 10, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #2,226 of 21,171
I am sure much of the 560 will be affected by the amplifier [or to a lesser degree the DAC in use], I myself like forward midrange but I'll let my ears decide.
I have the MA900 [warm, very forward midrange, nice punchy bass, recessed treble] and K612 [very neutral, tight extended bass, neutral mids, forward treble, a bit bright] on hand to compare individual traits...
The HE-6's midrange [or rather the sound's weight] was a bit lacking for me so I see how the 560 fares, with different gear.

May 10, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #2,227 of 21,171
  I am sure much of the 560 will be affected by the amplifier [or to a lesser degree the DAC in use], I myself like forward midrange but I'll let my ears decide.
I have the MA900 [warm, very forward midrange, nice punchy bass, recessed treble] and K612 [very neutral, tight extended bass, neutral mids, forward treble, a bit bright] on hand to compare individual traits...
The HE-6's midrange [or rather the sound's weight] was a bit lacking for me so I see how the 560 fares, with different gear.

HE-6's midrange lacking? Even with Brainwavz HM-5?

May 10, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #2,228 of 21,171
  I saw you complained about mid range of your HE560 headphones. Could you please let me know about your headphone amp? The midrange and vocal of HE560 should not be cold.

I wasn't complaining, I was just saying it was not warm sounding. I was using a custom 300b amp with C3Gs and an RK60 rectifier, my fav amp for all the planars I have, including the gorgeous sounding HE500. But the 560 was is no way warm sounding with it. Anyway, the unit is on the way back to you, maybe the new unit will sound different. I will try it with with my other tube and ss amps when I get the new one, I didn't have time to test them as I needed to send it back immediately.

Thanks for the great customer service.

May 10, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #2,229 of 21,171
  HE-6's midrange lacking? Even with Brainwavz HM-5?

Not lacking per se, it was very neutral, perhaps too much for my taste. 560's midrange has been described as slightly warmer, which should be just enough for me :]
I really can't wait for them -_- 

May 10, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #2,230 of 21,171
To me, the midrange really hits the right place. Human voice comes across natural with the right distance and qualities of a natural presentation. What is nice is with the 560's I don't here any frequency shouting out over another, just well balanced sound that is dynamic and open. I can listen to voices in a crowd and they are well placed in an enjoyable realistic manner. I like the way the upper bass and lower midrange transition, there isn't any transition, the whole range is just there. 

May 10, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #2,231 of 21,171
  To me, the mid range really hits the right place. Human voice comes across natural with the right distance and qualities of a natural presentation. What is nice is with the 560's I don't here any frequency shouting out over another, just well balanced sound that is dynamic and open. I can listen to voices in a crowd and they are well placed in an enjoyable realistic manner. I like the way the upper bass and lower mid range transition, there isn't any transition, the whole range is just there. 

One thing that I am noticing with my HE-560 is that the vocals are almost identical to the PM-1, sound and placement, but the instruments playing behind the vocals sound less forward, more distant than in same music played through the PM-1.  Some of the instruments playing on the HE-560 seem to be more removed from the vocalist, and can sometimes sound a little more unrealistic.  Probably not describing that correctly.....the PM-1 is just as wide in the sound stage as the HE-560, but the PM-1 sounds more layered and deeper in sound stage, so maybe that is what I am hearing.  PM-1 just sounds a little more refined and emotional in its presentation!  Like em' both very much, and for me they compliment each other very well.  The HE-560 has a little more of the sparkle and air of the HE-4, but not as dry.  The PM-1 doesn't miss a thing in the treble either.....Loreena McKinnet's albums are a testament to that, there is a lot of treble in her music....soprano voice, harp, violins, mandolins, exotic string instruments...every pluck of the strings are right where they should be, well defined clarity and precision on both headphones though!

May 10, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #2,232 of 21,171

One thing that I am noticing with my HE-560 is that the vocals are almost identical to the PM-1, sound and placement, but the instruments playing behind the vocals sound less forward, more distant than in same music played through the PM-1.  Some of the instruments playing on the HE-560 seem to be more removed from the vocalist, and can sometimes sound a little more unrealistic.  Probably not describing that correctly.....the PM-1 is just as wide in the sound stage as the HE-560, but the PM-1 sounds more layered and deeper in sound stage, so maybe that is what I am hearing.  PM-1 just sounds a little more refined and emotional in its presentation!  Like em' both very much, and for me they compliment each other very well.  The HE-560 has a little more of the sparkle and air of the HE-4, but not as dry.  The PM-1 doesn't miss a thing in the treble either.....Loreena McKinnet's albums are a testament to that, there is a lot of treble in her music....soprano voice, harp, violins, mandolins, exotic string instruments...every pluck of the strings are right where they should be, well defined clarity and precision on both headphones though!

I totally agree with your assessment of the PM-1 vs HE-560.

Other thoughts on the HE-560

1. Cable length is about perfect (seems to be about 6 1/2 feet)
2. The cable is a little stiff - I much prefer the cables on the HD800/PM-1
3. Comfort - pretty good... I do find the PM-1/HD800/HD700 to be more comfortable. The HE-560 seem to have a bit more clamping force  (But these are WAY better then the Audeze)
4. I have only worn the HE-560 about 12 times so far, and the finish is already completely worn off where the yokes rub against the earcups (Happens every time the HE-560 cups are touching --- when they are not being worn).... very surprised this flaw wasn't caught when they were being designed.
5. I wish for a $900 headphone they would be finished a bit nicer - The wood isn't nice and smooth like the Audeze, and the paint on the headband isn't the best (a small paint run and a few scratches)
6. Not so sure you would want to go out in public wearing these...They probably look similar to the Abyss with the big metal square above your head...

Overall I do like the HE-560, I didn't buy these for the finish, but for the comfort and sound...

May 10, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #2,233 of 21,171

To me, the mid range really hits the right place. Human voice comes across natural with the right distance and qualities of a natural presentation. What is nice is with the 560's I don't here any frequency shouting out over another, just well balanced sound that is dynamic and open. I can listen to voices in a crowd and they are well placed in an enjoyable realistic manner. I like the way the upper bass and lower mid range transition, there isn't any transition, the whole range is just there. 

This looks like you prefer the pm-1 and like the he560 as a change of pace sometimes. Which one has better/stronger dynamics, punch, and bass impact

May 10, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #2,234 of 21,171

What headphone amp are you using?

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
May 10, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #2,235 of 21,171
  As one of those who pre-ordered, I'm bowled over by the response from HiFiMan!! Yes, I was disappointed by the minor flaws. But I'm thrilled to learn that the voicing will be the same. I've come to really love the sound of my "preview" model!!

THANKS!!!!!!

+1 Really impressed how Hifiman is handling this.  That is how you turn first time customers into lifetime customers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back