= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
May 8, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #2,131 of 21,171
tested both ways and I seem to like the thin part forward better. basically rotating the pad down til it stops. my head felt odd in the locked pad position but I didn't really understand why.

So, what you mean is you like the thin part of the pad aimed slightly down. (Unlocked.)

I know this seems ridiculous to some, but it's all a part of understanding preferences and design, so this could be useful information in some way.

May 8, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #2,132 of 21,171
yeah kinda hard to understand until your doing it yourself.

I would reference in pics the positions but I'm half awake in bed right now.

my preferred position simply is positioning the thick side back, thin forward, once pad is clicked into the headphone, twist clockwise til it stops.

I can see others preferring the locked position. that's easy to find since there are two spots opposite of each other where the tabs get locked in.

also I realized all you need to do to get more cup turning radius is pish the pad downward to get it past the yoke. didn't cause any squishing inside the pad AFAIK.

hope these tips help

May 8, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #2,133 of 21,171
It also depends on what angle the headband sits relative to your head as well...  There are more factors at steak.  Find something comfortable and stay with it :p 

May 8, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #2,135 of 21,171
pads ,pads ,and more pads :weary:

May 8, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #2,136 of 21,171
I truly believe Dr Fang over reacted to the complaint about the pads everyone on these forums complains
The 500 pads are to hard the k701 head piece is un comfortable it's never ending try enjoying the music nothing is perfect

He showed us he cares.

May 8, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #2,137 of 21,171
Even though I raised a concern about the pad size, I didn't think Fang would go as far as to postpone the delivery for these outside Asia... They'll be shipping the pads for free to those who already have the headphones but I wouldn't be too bothered if I had to pay the shipping either.
Maybe releasing the cans worldwide now and then releasing the alternative pads in a few weeks would be a better move... Then again, if it will only delay things by two weeks [meaning the headphone would be shipping week of Monday, 19th]... What are two more weeks [well, yeah I know there're pros & cons to it :p]
Dr. Fang might as well finish this if it will mean we'll be getting the definitive and complete package. Comfort is as fundamental as the sound. If there's discomfort for whatever reason, I personally can't enjoy music [or whatever I am doing] to its fullest.

May 8, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #2,138 of 21,171
Placed my order at HeadDirect, but it was denied at the last stage as I live in the UK.

I was directed to electromod, who don't list the 560. They do list the 500 for $1185 + an unknown delivery charge, almost exactly double the $599 from HeadDirect. 

Disgraceful, and very disappointing.

May 8, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #2,139 of 21,171
Placed my order at HeadDirect, but it was denied at the last stage as I live in the UK.

I was directed to electromod, who don't list the 560. They do list the 500 for $1185 + an unknown delivery charge, almost exactly double the $599 from HeadDirect. 

Disgraceful, and very disappointing.

Thats bad. Only UK buyers directed there or the whole EU I wonder.

May 8, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #2,140 of 21,171
Many places to order these (within the States) for very reasonable prices in total.
Stereodesk or headamp to name some.
Or I am sure some head-fiers wouldn't have problems with assisting you... Some even do group buys.

May 9, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #2,142 of 21,171
This is my first high-end headphone. For the past few years, I was content with the HD600, but I have been interested in planar magnetic headphones and decided to take the plunge... I regret that the experience has not been a very good one so far.

The unboxing left a lot to be desired. The metal cover of the box had all sorts of fingerprints (yuck!) and scrapes on it, and when I removed the cover, the first thing I saw was the user manual simply thrown into the box, and the cable partially unravelled inside. I'm still trying to figure out why the rear of the box has two holes drilled into it.

I have newfound respect for the build quality of the HD600 after seeing the HE-560. The right grille already has paint scraped off of it, the wooden ear cups have already become scraped around the hinges where the ear cup swivels, the ear pad mounting ring does not appear to be installed properly - it sort of looks like it may not have been the right size for the ear cup and was forced in place, and the irregular stitching of the velour portion of the ear pads plus the fact that the L and R marks are printed crookedly on the cable really harms the aesthetics of the headphone. I don’t see attention to detail here.

I wish they didn't bother sending me the travel case. The inside foam already looks like it is falling apart. The two glued pieces are not cut evenly, and the inside was absolutely filthy. And after all of that, the headphones don’t even fit properly inside the case!

I was so excited when the packages arrived, but now I think I will be returning these.

I received this message when I try to insert images "Your account does not have the required permissions to access this page."

May 9, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #2,143 of 21,171
  This is my first high-end headphone. For the past few years, I was content with the HD600, but I have been interested in planar magnetic headphones and decided to take the plunge... I regret that the experience has not been a very good one so far.

The unboxing left a lot to be desired. The metal cover of the box had all sorts of fingerprints (yuck!) and scrapes on it, and when I removed the cover, the first thing I saw was the user manual simply thrown into the box, and the cable partially unravelled inside. I'm still trying to figure out why the rear of the box has two holes drilled into it.

I have newfound respect for the build quality of the HD600 after seeing the HE-560. The right grille already has paint scraped off of it, the wooden ear cups have already become scraped around the hinges where the ear cup swivels, the ear pad mounting ring does not appear to be installed properly - it sort of looks like it may not have been the right size for the ear cup and was forced in place, and the irregular stitching of the velour portion of the ear pads plus the fact that the L and R marks are printed crookedly on the cable really harms the aesthetics of the headphone. I don’t see attention to detail here.

I wish they didn't bother sending me the travel case. The inside foam already looks like it is falling apart. The two glued pieces are not cut evenly, and the inside was absolutely filthy. And after all of that, the headphones don’t even fit properly inside the case!

I was so excited when the packages arrived, but now I think I will be returning these.

I received this message when I try to insert images "Your account does not have the required permissions to access this page."

Totally understandable, in terms of finish and cosmetics Hifiman doesn't win any awards, in fact it is often spotty (especially when a new product is involved).

That's not why the brand has so many fans though. For their pricing, the performance is hard to beat.

May 9, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #2,144 of 21,171
  i know its a little apples and oranges(open/closed) but would anyone who has, or or heard both the alpha dog and the 560, be able to share some thoughts on how the sound signatures compare
tone, extension, presence , just some general thoughts would be appreciated

They are very different sounding.

The Mad Dog is very flat sounding but with less bass and more mids.  It would be great for monitoring in a studio, with good isolation, but I didn't find the Mad Dog very engaging and their soundstage was a bit flat. They didn't seem warm enough in the mids for me either.

The Alpha Dog 3D was much better than the Mad Dog with more bass, warmth, and a deeper soundstage - but they were still not as musically engaging as I'm finding the HE-560 to be.  I think the Alpha Dog 3D are a great closed headphone for the studio and audiophile, but they could not be my one and only headphone while the HE-560 could be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back