= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
May 7, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #2,071 of 21,171

Yeah I pulled a bit on it and it definitely glue, but mine doesn't seem strong at all :D...Half of the ring doesn't seem to have a drop of glue on it strangely, and where the glue starts it comes off easily. The grill is coming off to the point where you can see behind it. I really don't want to send them back to china so I'll probably just glue it back myself with something removable.

Thanks

Maybe it's a sign that you should do the regrilling mod. The grills are literally stripping themselves for you.

May 7, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #2,073 of 21,171
I just got these bad boys in the mail this afternoon, here are some quick first impressions I thought I'd share. A full review and comparison to the old HE-500 will come up later.

Comfort/Build: Comfort is substantially improved vs the HE-500. The new earpads literally melt into your cheeks. Pads are much more plush than both the original velour and pleather pads. The velour material that covers the top of the earpad feels less grainy/rough, compared to the velours that came with my HE-500.

The cable feels solid. It's terminated by a Neutrik 6.5mm plug. The new black cable has less microphonics than the original silver HE-500 and tangles a lot less easier. The HE-500 is left in the dust in terms of comfort, but, comes back in build quality. The HE-560 kind of feels like a toy in comparison to the HE-500. When you pick up the HE-500, you're greeted with reassuring weight and metal gimbals. The HE-500 just feels solid in your hands while the HE-560 is composed of plastic gimbals and is much lighter. It seems more fragile in comparison to the HE-500.

Sound impressions, what everyone really cares for.

Bass: Extends down to 20hz audibly/felt, with a roll off starting at around 25hz. Bass sounds quicker and has less of a mid bass hump vs the HE-500.

Mids: Goodbye recessed upper mids. The midrange is a lot more even, the depression around 2-3.5k is rectified, and the lower midrange is a bit less forward (though IMO the HE-500 was too forward). Vocals are more palpable on the HE-560, at least in terms of tone/realism. Some may favor how the HE-500 mids and vocals sound more lush and forward though. Timbre is more realistic, the tone of a violin/guitar/sax/etc sounds more lifelike with the help of the improved treble and more even mids.

Treble: Treble on the HE-560 is a touch airier and more extended. The peak at around 10k on the HE-500 is absent on the HE-560. I generally hear the HE-560 as having a brighter treble in most recordings, however, some songs that hit the 10k area a lot make it seem like the HE-500 is brighter but gives you the impression it's a bit grainy because of that peak. HE-560 is less forgiving of poor quality recordings than the HE-500, but, still plays them well. Unlike the HD800 and SR-202 that will absolutley reveal every tiny mistake in the recording.

Soundstage: Listening to binaural recordings gives you a larger sense of space on the HE-560. The soundstage is wider, but not so much so that you begin to feel distant/bored (Looking at you, HD800 and Stax SR-202). Depth is about the same, more listening will need to confirm that however.

Efficiency: Slightly better on the HE-560, but, both are nearly the same. My receiver has power output meters, to reach the same value at the power meter while playing a flat tone (100hz,1000hz,etc). The HE-560 needed to be turned 1 notch less on the volume pot than the HE-500.

Overall, It's kind of hard for me to say the HE-560 is necessarily better for everyone. From a tonality standpoint, others may favor favor the lush, warm, and relaxing tone of the HE-500 more. Though, it's obvious the HE-560 is better from a technical standpoint and I personally enjoy them more.

Photographs if anyone is interested: http://imgur.com/a/05WRb

May 7, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #2,074 of 21,171
impressions explosion.

got mine too. agree with everything said so far sound wise. mines burning in while I'm stuck at work.

I will say that the fit of the headphone is odd for me. I didn't have much time before work but I couldn't quite get it to sit right on my ears. doesn't feel like I could get a solid seal. pads are soft and I personally don't think harder larger ones will be better.

one thing that stood out to me is that they seem so small compared to pics.

I did go ahead and order a pm1. being that I plan to only have one high end headphone, I wanted to do things right and compare them myself. based on sound impressions, which ever I find more comfy will likely be the winner. it's really preference at this level.

May 8, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #2,075 of 21,171
It seems Hifiman listened to a wish I made long time ago (after receiving my HE-4 back from repair): "if you can make a more efficient HE-4 with the refinements of the HE-500, you've got yourself a Grado killer for rock music".

The HE-560 is just that! It is definitely brighter than the 5LE but I'm digging it \o/. Fast and detailed.

May 8, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #2,076 of 21,171
impressions explosion.

got mine too. agree with everything said so far sound wise. mines burning in while I'm stuck at work.

I will say that the fit of the headphone is odd for me. I didn't have much time before work but I couldn't quite get it to sit right on my ears. doesn't feel like I could get a solid seal. pads are soft and I personally don't think harder larger ones will be better.

one thing that stood out to me is that they seem so small compared to pics.

I did go ahead and order a pm1. being that I plan to only have one high end headphone, I wanted to do things right and compare them myself. based on sound impressions, which ever I find more comfy will likely be the winner. it's really preference at this level.

The headband is deceivingly small compared to the older Hifiman headband; the cups / drivers are identical in size to previous ones.

The seal is very important with HE560, I found, it seems to depend on a complete seal in order to produce sub-bass properly. The cups have all degrees of freedom, why can't you get a correct fit?

May 8, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #2,077 of 21,171
It seems Hifiman listened to a wish I made long time ago (after receiving my HE-4 back from repair): "if you can make a more efficient HE-4 with the refinements of the HE-500, you've got yourself a Grado killer for rock music".

The HE-560 is just that! It is definitely brighter than the 5LE but I'm digging it \o/. Fast and detailed.

Interesting, I always felt the HE-5LE was basically a more refined HE-4 with better vocals. I suppose it doesn't meet the "more efficient" side of things and doesn't quite reach the refinement of the HE-500, but after owning the HE-5LE for a while, I sold all my Grados as I felt there wasn't a single thing it didn't do better than my Grados. That's how much I love the HE-5LE.

I'm interested in more HE-560 / HE-5LE comparisons, Clem :wink:

Had to sell my HE-5LE recently, but now I managed to find an HE-5LE at a fair price, and it's on my way now! I may get the chance to compare it to an HE-560 in the next month here, so if and when I do I'll post some comparisons of my own. I'm very curious to try the new pads on the HE-5LE too! When can I buy those!? :frowning2:

May 8, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #2,078 of 21,171
Im hoping that by the time the HE400i is released, the original pads that came with the 560 are the ones the 400i comes with. If it goes to that harder velour of the post HE-4 Hifimans, I'll be upset. The older Velours were the best, so I'm hoping they stick with the hybrid pads that Jerg and the other have.

May 8, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #2,079 of 21,171
Well just posting some pictures =D
For the SQ impressions, I am pretty sure the others and Jerg would do a way better job than mine.
One interesting thing i found is that you can wear these cans backward and it fits just fine! (well, at lease on my ears.
As for the pad size, it fits me perfectly, I guess I have the small asian ears, lucky for me!
Edit: I also find that the stitching on my right pad is very good while not as consistant on my left pad, I guess Hifiman still needs to work on ear pad quality controll a little. However, the stitching does not affect the comfort though.

May 8, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #2,081 of 21,171
Impressions are over all the same, the only thing I can't agree with so far is the warm and smooth mids and smooth treble. Warm and smooth is what I call a HD650, to me the HE-560 are absolutely not this.
Personal taste I suppose
smile.gif

May 8, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #2,082 of 21,171
Im hoping that by the time the HE400i is released, the original pads that came with the 560 are the ones the 400i comes with. If it goes to that harder velour of the post HE-4 Hifimans, I'll be upset. The older Velours were the best, so I'm hoping they stick with the hybrid pads that Jerg and the other have.

If members make enough noise, I'm sure they will keep the same materials but make the ear hole wider.

May 8, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #2,083 of 21,171
One of the biggest conerns in the past when thinking about buying a hifiman was the workmanship. I'd hoped they improve their qc, but the comments and pictures regarding build quality lets me looking for the actual price of the AKG K712 again. I think i wait a couple of months till the production really breaks in and then borrow the two for comparison. 

May 8, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #2,084 of 21,171
The headband is deceivingly small compared to the older Hifiman headband; the cups / drivers are identical in size to previous ones.

The seal is very important with HE560, I found, it seems to depend on a complete seal in order to produce sub-bass properly. The cups have all degrees of freedom, why can't you get a correct fit?

haven't had time to mess with them but when I wore them they sat like this: |(*_*)|
most headphones for me sit like this: \(^_^)/

so the bottom of my ears feel encompassed. we'll see if I can fix that tomorrow.

May 8, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #2,085 of 21,171
Hmm... It's the former flat fit for me. Guess fit is not unanimous either.
I am pretty sure I am one of the earliest pre-orders but I am still dying to get them... So much for ordering from US dealers... :xf_eek:
It'd be nice if HFM shipped the headphone now and for those who find the pads too small, they ship a larger version for free (isn't that what they said?)

But I guess them wanting to test two different pads is a good thing. Hope they do it fast :p

I'd be the perfect pad tester with my big Caucasian ears, caughcaugh...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back