= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Apr 30, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #1,637 of 21,179
  I always thought Bruce Springsteen's Born to Run album felt flat-sounding, like a flat coke. These cans really make the album breathe.

Wow, that's a very important data point for me. I felt the same way about the album. It sounded better listening through my SR 007. I'll probably pull the trigger sooner than I thought.

Same with me on the Springsteen, the original mix was never good and the "remaster" was no better, if not worse.

Maybe that should be measurement for all new phones:  How good does "Born to Run" sound?  Will definitely try it on these cans.

Apr 30, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #1,639 of 21,179
still waiting for my shipment confirmation but its nice to see a few people getting theirs. can't wait for some new impressions and seeing how well these synergize with everyone's gear.

hey cute thought you canceled your order? I'll be looking forward to your speaker tapped comparisons with the oppp v he560

I reordered them two days ago, need to compare them to the PM-1.  Hope they don't sound thin, (560) in comparison, as someone who has both eluded to!

Apr 30, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #1,640 of 21,179
It seems like the notices of shipment only coming from head - direct .
So I would assume the earlier pre orders went thru first, but haven't reached dealers yet...

Unless all orders shipping straight from Hong Kong.

Apr 30, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #1,641 of 21,179
I reordered them two days ago, need to compare them to the PM-1.  Hope they don't sound thin, (560) in comparison, as someone who has both eluded to!
Actually from the non-actual frequency response curves mentioned earlier, they very much match almost exactly the EQ boost I gave the PM1 from 2khz up, to make it more lively,
So off the bat I am assuming a more livelier can with tighter bass..
:p

Apr 30, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #1,642 of 21,179

Same with me on the Springsteen, the original mix was never good and the "remaster" was no better, if not worse.

Maybe that should be measurement for all new phones:  How good does "Born to Run" sound?  Will definitely try it on these cans.

It's really enthralling now; you get a great sense of 3-dimensionality from the mastering (it's still a "wall of sound" effect, but not flat any more), and all the drums and snares feel very physical in impact, with a good sense of presence.

Apr 30, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #1,643 of 21,179
It's really enthralling now; you get a great sense of 3-dimensionality from the mastering (it's still a "wall of sound" effect, but not flat any more), and all the drums and snares feel very physical in impact, with a good sense of presence.

Jerg, are you hearing the album on CD? Or is it a flac file ? Or any other source? Thanks

Apr 30, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #1,644 of 21,179
Depending on the version, that track has a dynamic 'range' of between 7 and 15 dB. Not exactly the gold standard for judging headphone performance. Elevate your sights, gentlemen.

Apr 30, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #1,645 of 21,179
Depending on the version, that track has a dynamic 'range' of between 7 and 15 dB. Not exactly the gold standard for judging headphone performance. Elevate your sights, gentlemen.

It's the perfect track for testing headphone dynamics precisely BECAUSE of its terrible dynamic range (not to mention intrinsically restrictive imaging/layering), in case you haven't noticed. 
redface.gif

Jerg, are you hearing the album on CD? Or is it a flac file ? Or any other source? Thanks

FLAC of the original 1975 CD.

Apr 30, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #1,646 of 21,179
Not my type of music I'm afraid. But why would it be better to judge comparative headphone performance than something properly recorded?

Apr 30, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #1,647 of 21,179
Not my type of music I'm afraid. But why would it be better to judge comparative headphone performance than something properly recorded?

Well to challenge the headphone of course!
See how it does with uneven dynamic range, etc.
Many good headphones perform poorly in such circumstances so it's a testament to something :wink:

Apr 30, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #1,648 of 21,179

I don't know why you just took a 180 degree turn on the train of discussion, this has nothing to do with the Bruce Springsteen / dynamics topic we are on? 
confused_face(1).gif

Anyhow to answer your question, it's not better or worse, just a different approach that offers a different perspective. 

Apr 30, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #1,649 of 21,179
You present a statement, not an argument. Again, why would a comparative study of crappy sound be a better guide to judge relative merits of headphones than something properly recorded?

Apr 30, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #1,650 of 21,179
You present a statement, not an argument. Again, why would a comparative study of crappy sound be a better guide to judge relative merits of headphones than something properly recorded?

Guys, my suggestion of this as test material was a joke,the point being that if it could make that recording sound better it must be a spectacular headphone. I would not use it for a comparative test of any phone's capabilities.

But I do know what the first track I will listen to is now. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back