= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Apr 6, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #947 of 21,171
Let the other reviewers speak!  If the 400i comes out first, may be some will get them for thirty day return period until the 560 is released.  Then again, maybe there are other things that needed changing on the 560.  The Oppo retail release sounds much different than the prototype/beta according to some that have heard both!  Oppo maybe had the right idea with all of their secrecy, makes Hifiman look like they did really overlook some details in their design process!

Apr 6, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #948 of 21,171
there was a lot of frustration in the pm-1 thread with oppo's secrecy because no one knew what was going on with the headphones outside of "coming soon" on their site.

the transparency is nice with hifiman answering questions on the forums and implementing a fix prior to final production. beats having revs or potential complaints of rolled of sub bass.

kinda tired of posters complaining about a slightly delayed release and treating jerg like he did something wrong. the new pads are based on his mods and his suggestions do seem to mean a lot to hifiman that they are willing to test out his suggestions.

i do think poop pooing on this thread over the baffle fix is getting a bit overdone.

Apr 6, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #949 of 21,171
  and what exactly is your work?  
wink.gif

Well, I thought it was describing the primary sonic and physical characteristics of the HE-560. Why are you here? 
cool.gif

Apr 6, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #950 of 21,171

Well, I thought it was describing the primary sonic and physical characteristics of the HE-560. Why are you here? 
cool.gif

Ride the hype train and see how the contributors steer it along the track.  Is that enough of a reason to be here?  Also, if the 560 is anywhere near what HF contributors with trained/golden ears have made it out to be, I would consider it instead of HE-6. 
cool.gif

Apr 6, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #951 of 21,171
  there was a lot of frustration in the pm-1 thread with oppo's secrecy because no one knew what was going on with the headphones outside of "coming soon" on their site.

the transparency is nice with hifiman answering questions on the forums and implementing a fix prior to final production. beats having revs or potential complaints of rolled of sub bass.

kinda tired of posters complaining about a slightly delayed release and treating jerg like he did something wrong. the new pads are based on his mods and his suggestions do seem to mean a lot to hifiman that they are willing to test out his suggestions.

i do think poop pooing on this thread over the baffle fix is getting a bit overdone.

Hmmmm, what's an anagram of POOP...?

Sorry, couldn't resist 
biggrin.gif
  Not editorializing on the PM-1s... oops 
wink.gif

Apr 7, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #952 of 21,171
Really promising impressions on the HE-560. I'll have to order one for sure. 

Oppo is another contender I was looking forward to, though I am still expecting to see a couple of decent reviews. They might have had the right idea during development, yet their impressions thread is not working well so far. I am particularly concerned about unusual driver structure with the tiny opening. One of the beta testers claims that its sound does not change when he closes the cups with his hands, which is really, really unusual for an open planar headphone. HE-500 sounds like sh!t when I do that. Interesting.

Apr 7, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #953 of 21,171
Really promising impressions on the HE-560. I'll have to order one for sure. 

Oppo is another contender I was looking forward to, though I am still expecting to see a couple of decent reviews. They might have had the right idea during development, yet their impressions thread is not working well so far. I am particularly concerned about unusual driver structure with the tiny opening. One of the beta testers claims that its sound does not change when he closes the cups with his hands, which is really, really unusual for an open planar headphone. HE-500 sounds like sh!t when I do that. Interesting.

Yeah I've been following that.
Sounds like it sounds about as open as an LCD-2 so not enough for me...
Absolutely a warmer signature, in terms of treble and air and perhaps even staging, it won't compare well to the 4/560/6 I am afraid...

Apr 7, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #954 of 21,171

All hail grand daddy dogma.

Apr 7, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #956 of 21,171
  400i out before the 560 now? Interesting... I'm surprised people are slamming Jerg yet. Haha.

That actually means there might be comparisons between the two before they both release :]

Apr 7, 2014 at 5:29 AM Post #957 of 21,171
  400i out before the 560 now? Interesting... I'm surprised people are slamming Jerg yet. Haha.

I'm not slamming Jerg! Distinction needs to be made. I'm slamming people for trusting his modding logic so... dogmatically. 

Apr 7, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #958 of 21,171

I'm not slamming Jerg! Distinction needs to be made. I'm slamming people for trusting his modding logic so... dogmatically. 

Jerg makes pads that many note to improve the sound of the he400/500. Hifiman bases their new earpads on those, even thanks him with their finest amp.

No one here is treating Jerg like their god. It is simple to see that his input is valued by Hifiman and people on head-fi have been happy with his mods.

I can't really understand why people are getting mad over a (potential) sonic improvement implemented prior to release. how is that possibly a bad thing?

hifiman is not going to blindly use this fix if it doesn't help.
so what exactly is the issue?

most of us have been taking impressions from the multiple people who have the he560. jerg is not the final word.

i am personally planning on buying these and am glad that at least one potential revision/mod can be avoided.

Apr 7, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #959 of 21,171

It wasn't directed at you.

I actually agree with you, in that I would personally probably find the current stock sound more than acceptable. I just think it would be funny if people started giving Jerg a hard time. LOL
very_evil_smiley.gif

On the flip side I really don't care about the wait. I have enough headphones to enjoy for the moment and Fang can take all the time he needs. I would rather have him tinkering around now, instead of doing so after the release, so that we have multiple revision after revision. I never want to see a HE-560 Ver.4 or anything like that.

Apr 7, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #960 of 21,171

I never want to see a HE-560 Ver.4 or anything like that.

lol agreed.

When i got the he400 i was busy checking the driver color to make sure i got one of the "good" ones. Then it was a pain to sell cause people wanted proof it wasn't one of the bad revs.

I hope I can be an early adopter of these with no regrets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back