= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Apr 6, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #931 of 21,171
  I mean, I've taken my HE560 apart completely a few times already. Everything is new (or altered) except the screws, the magnets, and the grills. Must've been a lot of internal QCing, which unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you see it) that is further dragged on with the baffle improvement suggestion I made.

I think it is good news for us early adopters.
Means we'll most likely be getting the full version with the first revision.
At this point, I am thinking HE-560 late April - early May June and HE-400i late May June - early July. Jade 2 / HE-6 successor Q4,
By going the extra mile and doing the baffle fix - or listened to the review samplers - HFM again gave me firm footing and earned my support.
Especially since it is not an inferior headphone in the <$2000 range by any means.
Much respect to Fang for delaying the production a bit to improve the headphone further.
Said that, I am counting every single day I spend waiting for the 560 
rolleyes.gif

EDIT: Date fixed, apologies.

Apr 6, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #932 of 21,171
  I think it is good news for us early adopters.
Means we'll most likely be getting the full version with the first revision.
At this point, I am thinking HE-560 late April - early June and HE-400i late June - early July. Jade 2 / HE-6 successor Q4,
By going the extra mile and doing the baffle fix - or listened to the review samplers - HFM again gave me firm footing and earned my support.
Especially since it is not an inferior headphone in the <$2000 range by any means.
Much respect to Fang for delaying the production a bit to improve the headphone further.
Said that, I am counting every single day I spend waiting for the 560 
rolleyes.gif

Peter from Hifiman commented today in the other thread that HE400i is still on track for a May release though. So maybe as long as they work out the baffle thing in a timely manner, it won't affect HE400i release timing at all, because the production for that model will be after the baffle optimization.

Apr 6, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #933 of 21,171
I surely don't hope the Jade 2 will be too expensive! Please no more than 2k..

Apr 6, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #934 of 21,171
If I had one, I would
wink.gif

I swear I've read that one of you guys who got the review sample is also getting an Oppo sample though.

Me (well, from what I was told, but no tracking number).

Apr 6, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #935 of 21,171

I guess I agree, though it does look like there is potential for cost savings down the line, especially as the design is shared with the HE-400i. I presume with magnets only on one side it should have more in common with the HE-4 which is significantly cheaper, unless we are dealing with a much more complicated driver here? Is this driver using smaller magnets but with a higher count or are we are dealing with tighter tolerances on the driver side that lead to the improvements in driver efficiency and speed?

So at this stage it seems we could summarise the HE-560 as follow:
Slightly closer to the HE-6 in terms of sound quality and tonally more neutral than the HE-500. Improvements in speed and transient response. Flatter mid-range response and a more extended and airy treble. Improvements in the sound staging with respect to width and imaging. Much more comfortable to wear in terms of overall design and weight.

Sounds like pretty good progress, though I was secretly hoping that it would convincingly make the HE-6 obsolete with the eventual replacement to the HE-6 re-establishing its technical superiority. Perhaps Hifiman are taking this opportunity to re-align their model offerings.

TaDaaaaaah!

Our work here is done...

Apr 6, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #936 of 21,171
  Peter from Hifiman commented today in the other thread that HE400i is still on track for a May release though. So maybe as long as they work out the baffle thing in a timely manner, it won't affect HE400i release timing at all, because the production for that model will be after the baffle optimization.

I absolutely got the date wrong... I skipped May for some totally irrational and strange reason. Sorry :]

Me (well, from what I was told, but no tracking number).

Great. That solves that then. Thanks! Keep us posted please.

I surely don't hope the Jade 2 will be too expensive! Please no more than 2k..

I am thinking 1.5k max. but HiFiMAN might go all out on that one [or the HE-6 successor].
I very much doubt it though. HiFiMAN prices their headphones very consciously and I do believe their "motto" has always been great sound for a reasonable price :D

Apr 6, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #937 of 21,171
I continue to hear changes with the 560 I have. I hear more of a musicality of the sounds, a more enticing sound that complements the sound. Even some fair recordings are rendered more enjoyable than on first listen with the 560. Very nice acoustical retrieval of ambient sounds. As others have mentioned, this is a very fast headphone. 

I can see someone have these and enjoying most all of their music with this open ortho. 

Apr 6, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #938 of 21,171
  I continue to hear changes with the 560 I have. I hear more of a musicality of the sounds, a more enticing sound that complements the sound. Even some fair recordings are rendered more enjoyable than on first listen with the 560. Very nice acoustical retrieval of ambient sounds. As others have mentioned, this is a very fast headphone. 

I can see someone have these and enjoying most all of their music with this open ortho. 

You tease you! 
tongue.gif

Thanks for the impressions. Keep them coming.
Like I am not looking forward to them enough already!

Apr 6, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #939 of 21,171

How many hours burn in so far?

Apr 6, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #940 of 21,171
Fang asked me to hold off on the review until the modifications are done and the new model is finalized. I still will  have the Oppo on Tuesday to compare. Jude had one at the nY meet but it was always on someone head when I wanted to listen but some were complaining thta it was muddy. I post back Tuesday. He will making an announcement shortly on the new release date but did say the 400I may be ready sooner.

Apr 6, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #941 of 21,171
Apr 6, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #942 of 21,171
  Fang asked me to hold off on the review until the modifications are done and the new model is finalized. I still will  have the Oppo on Tuesday to compare. Jude had one at the nY meet but it was always on someone head when I wanted to listen but some were complaining thta it was muddy. I post back Tuesday. He will making an announcement shortly on the new release date but did say the 400I may be ready sooner.

New release date because of one modders opinion?  Haven't seen any other reviewers unhappy with the "sub-bass"?

Apr 6, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #943 of 21,171

New release date because of one modders opinion?

new release date because *Dr Fang* obviously tested and verified an improvement!
kudos to HiFiMan for making last minute improvements instead of post-delivery revision x.1  x.2, etc etc.

Apr 6, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #945 of 21,171

Users who are viewing this thread

Back