= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
May 21, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #13,201 of 21,175

As a relative newbie, observing this phenomenon play out in forum threads, reviews, reddit, etc. has nearly been driving me nuts. I'm using a Marantz HD-DAC1 to drive the HE-560 and when I read that 1W is a MUST to properly drive them and "really make them sing" I get a little nervous about what I might be missing (I believe the Marantz is rated at just under 1W) even though it's plenty loud (and then some) for my taste. Of course this leads me to dive back into amp research, etc.

BTW, I think these headphones sound beautiful with the Marantz.

IMO 1W is plenty as long as the Amp can deliver it cleany. Many people can do fine with less than a capability of a 120 dBSPL peak. I'd say that 115 dBSPL peak is probably more than enough for most people, that's 316.4 mW for the 560's.

May 21, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #13,202 of 21,175
  IMO 1W is plenty as long as the Amp can deliver it cleany. Many people can do fine with less than a capability of a 120 dBSPL peak. I'd say that 115 dBSPL peak is probably more than enough for most people, that's 316.4 mW for the 560's.

Looks like this amp is just (barely) capable of that!

http://www.audiobot9000.com/match/hifiman/he-560/with/marantz/hd-dac1

What will that last 5 (115 dBSPL -> 120 dBSPL) achieve though realistically? Is it really just loudness?

May 21, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #13,203 of 21,175

As a relative newbie, observing this phenomenon play out in forum threads, reviews, reddit, etc. has nearly been driving me nuts. I'm using a Marantz HD-DAC1 to drive the HE-560 and when I read that 1W is a MUST to properly drive them and "really make them sing" I get a little nervous about what I might be missing (I believe the Marantz is rated at just under 1W) even though it's plenty loud (and then some) for my taste. Of course this leads me to dive back into amp research, etc.

Great. Make sure to never put your headphones onto another amp. Do not go to any meet. Enjoy what you have, delete your head-fi account. It will end in tears (for your wallet). :wink:

May 21, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #13,204 of 21,175

Looks like this amp is just (barely) capable of that!

http://www.audiobot9000.com/match/hifiman/he-560/with/marantz/hd-dac1

What will that last 5 (115 dBSPL -> 120 dBSPL) achieve though realistically? Is it really just loudness?

Unless one has a poorly desgined amp, IMO it's just loudness. Most recorded music is volume compressed to one degree or another, requiring less headroom.

May 21, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #13,205 of 21,175

Great. Make sure to never put your headphones onto another amp. Do not go to any meet. Enjoy what you have, delete your head-fi account. It will end in tears (for your wallet). :wink:

You don't have to agree with the poster, but why attack him?

May 21, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #13,207 of 21,175
  Unless one has a poorly desgined amp, IMO it's just loudness. Most recorded music is volume compressed to one degree or another, requiring less headroom.

Cool, as far as I can tell the consensus is this is a well built and quality amp so I should be in good shape. Thanks for your input, much much appreciated!

May 21, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #13,208 of 21,175

Cool, as far as I can tell the consensus is this is a well built and quality amp so I should be in good shape. Thanks for your input, much much appreciated!

No problem, glad I was able to help, I try to provide a balance to the story.

May 21, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #13,209 of 21,175
  You don't have to agree with the poster, but why attack him?

Haha, well I know you already agree with my headphone choice so maybe I should just do that :p

Haha yes indeed. This wasn't an attack. I was just saying if it sounds great to you - ENJOY it to the max. That's all :wink:

May 21, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #13,210 of 21,175
All apps do not sound the same in my experience, and not just an issue of being able to get enough volume. I hear differences between, say, my ALO National and my Cayin C5, both of which have enough power to drive most cans, but I prefer the sound of the ALO. Not trying to be insulting, but if you don't hear differences, might as well save the money. The differences are not on the level of headphones sound differences, but they are there (no, haven't tried double blind comparisons)

May 21, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #13,211 of 21,175
All apps do not sound the same in my experience, and not just an issue of being able to get enough volume. I hear differences between, say, my ALO National and my Cayin C5, both of which have enough power to drive most cans, but I prefer the sound of the ALO. Not trying to be insulting, but if you don't hear differences, might as well save the money. The differences are not on the level of headphones sound differences, but they are there (no, haven't tried double blind comparisons)

+1 

http://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/the-sound-of-an-amplifier

May 21, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #13,212 of 21,175

If it sounds great to you, then it is right. As you get more experience and attend meets you will have an opportunity to try different combinations.

At the last Nashville Meet, I listened to Marantz, Schiit Lyr 2, Magni, Asgard, Cavalli Liquid Carbon and Liquid Fire on my 560's. The lower Schiit's were lacking, flat soundstage, bleh. The Marantz, Lyr 2, were fantastic, wonderful tone, soundstage, could easily live with ( I do with the Lyr 2). The Cavailli's took everything to a different level, quiet, black background, tone, immiging, soundstage, engagement.

The 560s do scale well, the better the input, the better the output. If you are happy with what you have now, enjoy, you can always scale latter or never, depending on what's important to you. My favorite was the Liquid Fire, but I truly cannot justify spending that kind of money on a headphone amp, others can and will, more power too them. This is a hobby, about becoming engaged with our favorite music, whether it's Beats :)scream:) or Stax, enjoy!

May 21, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #13,213 of 21,175

Hey Stan, I want to tap into your vast knowledge if I might. So for me, I have always liked the notion of headroom believing that by having some ponies left in the tank you avoid running an amplifiuer at it's upper operational threshold. Based on what I have read from you, and other solid sources it seems that even if the amplifier is approaching the operational threshold (for lack of a better term) that the resulting distortion from doing this should still be rather difficult to hear. Is that the case?

A related question if I might. So what is at play when you have music at louder playback volume and over time it seemingly thins out? I'm not sure if that is even a real occurrence, or simply our perception changing in that type of situation, but over the years I have thought that this actually occurs, but I could of course be wrong. If this is a possible outcome, does having more headroom at all help avoid this?

I have read a few articles that suggest that an underpowered amplifier can in some situations be more damaging to a speaker than an overpowered amplifier. What are your thoughts on this? I think given that amplifier needs arise frequently in this thread it is as good a place as any to ask. Cheers.

May 21, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #13,214 of 21,175

1) Hey Stan, I want to tap into your vast knowledge if I might. So for me, I have always liked the notion of headroom believing that by having some ponies left in the tank you avoid running an amplifiuer at it's upper operational threshold. Based on what I have read from you, and other solid sources it seems that even if the amplifier is approaching the operational threshold (for lack of a better term) that the resulting distortion from doing this should still be rather difficult to hear. Is that the case?

2) A related question if I might. So what is at play when you have music at louder playback volume and over time it seemingly thins out? I'm not sure if that is even a real occurrence, or simply our perception changing in that type of situation, but over the years I have thought that this actually occurs, but I could of course be wrong. If this is a possible outcome, does having more headroom at all help avoid this?

3) I have read a few articles that suggest that an underpowered amplifier can in some situations be more damaging to a speaker than an overpowered amplifier. What are your thoughts on this? I think given that amplifier needs arise frequently in this thread it is as good a place as any to ask. Cheers.

1) There are some amps that begin to distort excessively near their upper power limits. If that power limit is too low for me, then I wouldn't buy that amp, however, most good amps do an excellent job as not to create any issues.
2) Our senses adapt. You ever walk into the house from outdoors and notice that incandesant lamps have a yellowish color balance that after a few minutes changes to normal? That's your vision adapting. Your vision adapts to brightness/darkness.And so does your perception of volume. Of course listening at excessively loud sounds can lower your perception of loudness by damaging your hearing so turning up the volume further is not a wise choice under such conditions. As far as headroom goes, if you increase the volume at one point getting past compression you would need additional headroom, however, I'm afraid that at one point that would be bad for the health of your hearing and well past comfortable listening.
3) As long as you don't exceed the maximum power rating of your speakers/headphones no damage can occur. So if you're underpowered by specs, nothing should happen. What situations did you read of that suggest such damage? Clipping can lead to more power by adding distortion to the ouput, however,the amp should not be able to produce more power than it is rated for, hence no problem.

May 21, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #13,215 of 21,175
  Unless one has a poorly desgined amp, IMO it's just loudness. 

I've read your opinion on amps for a while now—just to be clear, are you saying that it's impossible to discern the difference in SQ from two properly designed amps at the same SPL? Or are you just saying that excess power isn't what accounts for the difference?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back