= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
May 18, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #13,111 of 21,179
Look at it this way, your wallet just needed to slim down, like the rest of us...:D

May 18, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #13,112 of 21,179
  My balanced cables just arrived. It's too bad I'm at work but I'm excited to try out my amp since I hear balanced is where my amp excels.

I was looking at the HD800 in the next few weeks but I just bought a Shure SE846 iem to possibly replace my JH13. My customs have been getting really boring for me lately and this one looks to be better suited in terms of signature. I'm sticking with the HE-560 for a while now since I've spent too much money in last few weeks. My wallet is definitely pissed at me. 

You sound like me, I bore of gear far too easily much to the chagrin of my wallet. If I get a year out of a sound signature I'm lucky. It is a curse, but I really enjoy trying new signatures.

May 18, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #13,113 of 21,179
  It is a beautiful product, great sound but they should take better care of their customers.

I couldn't disagree more, some of the best customer service ever in my opinion. Especially based on my experience with customer service in Asia? best I've had. Responses in a timely manner and completely understandable. 90 days on a cable is plenty enough. But I do agree that the cable quality is piss poor at this price, too fragile and not flexible. 

May 18, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #13,114 of 21,179

I couldn't disagree more, some of the best customer service ever in my opinion. Especially based on my experience with customer service in Asia? best I've had. Responses in a timely manner and completely understandable. 90 days on a cable is plenty enough. But I do agree that the cable quality is piss poor at this price, too fragile and not flexible. 

I do have to agree with you. The cable quality versus price charged for replacement is the weak link.

May 18, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #13,115 of 21,179
It's not even boredom with some of us . Just gotta see that next little bit. The he560 has rendered all of my HPs useless. Except the zmf's vibro and the amperior for my portable. The Vibro is so forgiving and fun, full-bodied not to mention I can listen to it with out incurring the wrath of "she who must not be disturbed ". But then, I'm not a classical guy. Mostly, I listen to underground music from 80s and 90s. So the "wooly" bass is not necessarily a downfall. the mids are actually on par and the treble is addictive. Hopefully the new tubes for the lyr will iron out my displeasure in comparison to the GO with the 560. Just my ears of course.

May 18, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #13,116 of 21,179

You sound like me, I bore of gear far too easily much to the chagrin of my wallet. If I get a year out of a sound signature I'm lucky. It is a curse, but I really enjoy trying new signatures.

That mean swapping out headphones or electronics? If both which is more important to you to swap out?

May 18, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #13,117 of 21,179
Look at it this way, your wallet just needed to slim down, like the rest of us...
biggrin.gif

It's pretty slim now :) I sold a Lyr 2 amp recently so not all that bad.

I've actually had the JH13 for 2 years or so. I used to go through different setups like I did socks but now I've calmed down as I've learned what I like and don't like. I had Stax for around a year but I kinda regret doing that move but I've learned from it. I'm thinking that the HE-560 should stay for a while now. I did want to buy the SE846 for a year anyway so the sound is pretty known by now.

I've also owned most of the headphones out there that I had any interest in so that helps limit what I can actually buy :)

May 18, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #13,118 of 21,179
Just burning in matsu****a tubes in the lyr. Nos and definitely an improvement over the amperex with the he560. Soundstage has opened up tonality has eased up and cleared up. As they are new I imagine the bass will improve and highs will tame down. It's a less energetic sound but overall improvement. The tungsrams sound great w the 560 but too quiet. As in under powered. Think it's a bad pair, shame.

May 18, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #13,119 of 21,179
Apologies if this has been discussed at length already. It seems like the Sennheiser HD 650 has a huge following and is one of the most talked about full-size headphones around. For those of you that have experience with both the HD650 and the HE-560, do you find you miss (or still enjoy) listening to your HD650's?

The reason I ask, I skipped over the HD650 and went right for the HE-560. So far I'm having a great time with them but wonder if I should have experienced the HD650 along the way (or if I still should pick one up).

May 18, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #13,120 of 21,179
^^i can't think of a reason for the 6xxs after the 560. I'm sure you know someone to listen to theirs or bestbuy. To me their treble is a deal breaker. Though they have a nice thick midrange for guitar oriented music. It's the most popular hp on this site by a mile so I'm in the minority. To me ,for its style ,it's bested by the zmf's in every regard.

May 18, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #13,121 of 21,179
  Apologies if this has been discussed at length already. It seems like the Sennheiser HD 650 has a huge following and is one of the most talked about full-size headphones around. For those of you that have experience with both the HD650 and the HE-560, do you find you miss (or still enjoy) listening to your HD650's?

The reason I ask, I skipped over the HD650 and went right for the HE-560. So far I'm having a great time with them but wonder if I should have experienced the HD650 along the way (or if I still should pick one up).

I prefer the HE-560 over the HD6xx series and I do think they are a technically more capable pair of headphones, so no need to regret anything. of course, you should definitely demo the hd650 if you get a chance. good reference point when reading other people's impressions. cheers!

May 18, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #13,122 of 21,179

I have both 650 and 560. Acquired 560 a few days ago. Do I miss the 650?

Nope. 560 is astoundingly musical -- its imaging is superb, and the clarity is gripping. I listened to 560 today on my BHA-1, with BDP-1 and BDA-1 upstream, all plugged into Triton/Typhon with Cardas cabling. I used a Grado 15-ft copper extension cord. Essentially my floor speaker rig with headphones. Dead-black noise floor.  Long playlist, including lots of guitar, strings, and brass (to hear if 560 is too "bright" -- it isn't with BHA-1 on H gain, at 10 o'clock SE out). Kaukonen, Prine, Knopfler, Pat Barber, Meat Loaf, Springsteen, Bruckner's 4th, Beethoven's 7th, Whitehorse, Norah Jones, Shelby Lynne, Rush, piano by Schubert, Satie; Madeleine Peyroux, Marcin Wasilewski, and others.

In sum, I didn't have to touch the vol knob once. The treble peak was not a problem (maybe it was blunted by 30 hrs of break-in?). The imaging was sometimes out of my head, beyond the earcups. Not so with 650.

The 650 brings a musicality that is still enticing, however. It just doesn't do imaging and treble texture/details up high, for large-scale classical music like the 560 does. And to my ears, despite its excellence at revealing details, the 560 isn't clinical. Not saying 650 is, far from it. But I see the 560 as an evolution of the 650, perhaps its descendant, sound-wise. Also, 560's dynamics are much cleaner and faster.

May 18, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #13,123 of 21,179
  That mean swapping out headphones or electronics? If both which is more important to you to swap out?

Truthfully I like to try new gear both source and transducers, but as I realize sound differences are going to be more realistic with headphones I do cycle these more frequently. I will say that with DACs in my somewhat limited experience the sound signatures can be quite different. So if I was to do a hierarchy of gear to swap it would go headphones > DAC > amplification. See StanD, I know where your sensibilities lie. Had I suggested changing amps was high on my list you would rightfully chastise me and explain that most amps should sound quite the same as long as they are up to the load.

May 18, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #13,124 of 21,179
+1

You saved a step in skipping on the HD650. The HE-560 is clearly the better headphone and more engaging imo.

May 18, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #13,125 of 21,179
Ditto to the above, have both the 560 and 650, the above was a great write up, so I'll just say haven't put the 650 on much since getting the 560...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back