= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Mar 31, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #12,496 of 21,171
Just received my HE-560!!! Can't believe so many people complain about about the cable connectors. A breeze to connect. Gonna listen all night now and share my experience later...Seller was an awesome guy, can't thank him enough!

Mar 31, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #12,497 of 21,171
My thanks to everybody.  I can cross that concern off my list, and honestly that might have been the only one.

I've followed the HE-560 since it was announced and I think it's finally time to buy.  I've grown increasingly less satisfied with my LCD-2 as day to day headphones with the passage of time, both for comfort and performance reasons.  Every time I put them on my head they seem to sound different, sometimes great and sometimes bleh.  It's time to try something new.

Mar 31, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #12,498 of 21,171
Hey guys,

One easy question.  I read about 350 pages of this thread looking for an answer and decided that was enough to not be branded lazy in "just asking"....  :)

Jerg mentions numerous times that the bass control on the HE560 suffers a lot if the pads fail to form a complete seal.  My question is:  is this a challenge for folks who wear glasses?  I've noticed basically all of my headphones sound different (better) if I remove my glasses before listening, evidently eliminating a small seal gap caused by the bows of the frames, but I like to jump around to different songs without a pre-determined playlist so I really prefer to leave my glasses on my head and be able to read my screen properly.  I am pretty hopelessly blind without them, no matter how much I lean in I still can't read text without them.

Does the small gap the bows on glasses creates in the pad affect the HE560 more than it would other headphones due to the magnet design?

And, yes, wearing contacts is something that occurred to me.  I can't use them for medical reasons relating to my eyes.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pince-nez

Mar 31, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #12,499 of 21,171
  My thanks to everybody.  I can cross that concern off my list, and honestly that might have been the only one.

I've followed the HE-560 since it was announced and I think it's finally time to buy.  I've grown increasingly less satisfied with my LCD-2 as day to day headphones with the passage of time, both for comfort and performance reasons.  Every time I put them on my head they seem to sound different, sometimes great and sometimes bleh.  It's time to try something new.

Likely boredom can account for most of that, and listening at different times of the day (if that is what you sometimes do). Anyway, I think the 560 is a little more engaging than the LCD 2 as if it gives up anything in bass it is just a little, and it makes up for it in a better extended high frequency response and somewhat better comfort. Look forward to your impressions when you do get the 560.

Mar 31, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #12,500 of 21,171
I keep reading about the 560 being a cooler sounding headphone. While it's not over warm, I don't hear it being a cool sounding headphone either. I think it's almost right in the middle. Then again, from what I've heard, the 560 seems to performs its best with a tube amp. That warms the sound up a bit, and I just think the best synergy is with a tube amp when listening through the 560. 

Mar 31, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #12,501 of 21,171

The He-560 is the first headphone that every time I put them on,they just sound so correct. Never great one day and blah the next. They sound good with low Rez music,hi Rez, low volume and high volume. I am using the Fiio E-12 diy portable amp that I would put up against any other pha out there.

Mar 31, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #12,502 of 21,171
The He-560 is the first headphone that every time I put them on,they just sound so correct. Never great one day and blah the next. They sound good with low Rez music,hi Rez, low volume and high volume. I am using the Fiio E-12 diy portable amp that I would put up against any other pha out there.

Agreed, though if there's only one thing I'll criticize about, is its slight edginess on the treble. But that's the only coloration to the sound to my ears. Outside of that everything is neutral and linear with no emphasis IMO. And my smooth sounding dac and tube amp pretty much eliminates that from the sound. The sound I'm getting form this set up is actually a tad warm and dark from neutral.

Mar 31, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #12,503 of 21,171
Congrats! I enjoy mine every day,
I've never had any complaints about the cable- or any troubles with putting it on.
I'm using a Lyr (hybrid) for amplification.

Just received my HE-560!!! Can't believe so many people complain about about the cable connectors. A breeze to connect. Gonna listen all night now and share my experience later...Seller was an awesome guy, can't thank him enough!

Apr 1, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #12,505 of 21,171

Likely boredom can account for most of that, and listening at different times of the day (if that is what you sometimes do). Anyway, I think the 560 is a little more engaging than the LCD 2 as if it gives up anything in bass it is just a little, and it makes up for it in a better extended high frequency response and somewhat better comfort. Look forward to your impressions when you do get the 560.

Not boredom.  It's a placement thing mostly.  They need to be sitting on the head juuuuuuust so or the midrange sounds out of focus.  I think part of it is pads, and part of it is the suction effect they cause when they seal placing abnormal pressure on my eardrums (an effect I can't stand anyway). 

I'd like to have a setup I don't have to fuss with constantly to get sounding right.

Apr 1, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #12,506 of 21,171
These ****ing cans are so comfortable....like holy ****. Weightless.  The sound:  effortless natural sound. Soundstage and imaging, in particular, is unlike anything I've heard (I'm coming from AKG K550's as my main headphone). I don't hear any harshness whatsoever in the treble or upper mids, probably thanks to my amp. Just smooth, natural sound. Coherent succession of notes, every instrument is distinct in the plane of sound. I'm in love. Will upgrade my dac next, maybe add a power amp right after to use my current amp as a pre and then I'm done for awhile.

Similar sound signature to my k550's; first thing I noticed in comparison is the soundstage is much larger (3d holographic), my 24 bit/96khz or greater rips sound astounding and the details are elevated by a good margin. Sound artifacts (in vinyl rips for example) stick out plain as day. Goes without saying, I'm hearing things I hadn't with material I'm extremely familiar with. 320 kbps of competently mastered records sound sublime though. It doesn't ruin any of my lower bitrate content. Artifacts already present on the recording are the only thing I notice more clearly now.
Bass is robust and textured with my content with heavy low bass (hip hop, edm, etc.). Much more details in the lows vs the k550s. 

Nothing in the frequency response sticks out to me. With dynamic headphones/iem's I notice certain areas of the sound being highlighted, with the HE-560, however,everything is on the same vast plane. I don't know if this is a characteristic of planar magnetic headphones but I like it. The combination of its comfortable design added with this non-fatiguing sound makes it a perfect choice for an all-rounder for long sessions.
The only thing I'd like is a little more euphony in the dynamics but maybe that has to do with the burn-in time (at least 150 hours, going by the owner's guide). 

So far, I'm impressed.

Apr 1, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #12,507 of 21,171
another he-560 vs ether impression here by bill-p: http://www.head-fi.org/t/758649/canjam-socal-2015-impressions-thread/540

full impressions of the show including ether & dharma from an he-560 owner stillheart: http://www.head-fi.org/t/758649/canjam-socal-2015-impressions-thread/555#post_11465057

Apr 1, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #12,508 of 21,171
   Soundstage and imaging, in particular, is unlike anything I've heard (I'm coming from AKG K550's as my main headphone). I don't hear any harshness whatsoever in the treble or upper mids, probably thanks to my amp. Just smooth, natural sound. Coherent succession of notes, every instrument is distinct in the plane of sound. 

Sounds like what I want mine to sound like - what amp and dac are you using?

Apr 1, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #12,510 of 21,171
  These ****ing cans are so comfortable....like holy ****. Weightless.  The sound:  effortless natural sound. Soundstage and imaging, in particular, is unlike anything I've heard (I'm coming from AKG K550's as my main headphone). I don't hear any harshness whatsoever in the treble or upper mids, probably thanks to my amp. Just smooth, natural sound. Coherent succession of notes, every instrument is distinct in the plane of sound. I'm in love. Will upgrade my dac next, maybe add a power amp right after to use my current amp as a pre and then I'm done for awhile.

Similar sound signature to my k550's; first thing I noticed in comparison is the soundstage is much larger (3d holographic), my 24 bit/96khz or greater rips sound astounding and the details are elevated by a good margin. Sound artifacts (in vinyl rips for example) stick out plain as day. Goes without saying, I'm hearing things I hadn't with material I'm extremely familiar with. 320 kbps of competently mastered records sound sublime though. It doesn't ruin any of my lower bitrate content. Artifacts already present on the recording are the only thing I notice more clearly now.
Bass is robust and textured with my content with heavy low bass (hip hop, edm, etc.). Much more details in the lows vs the k550s. 

Nothing in the frequency response sticks out to me. With dynamic headphones/iem's I notice certain areas of the sound being highlighted, with the HE-560, however,everything is on the same vast plane. I don't know if this is a characteristic of planar magnetic headphones but I like it. The combination of its comfortable design added with this non-fatiguing sound makes it a perfect choice for an all-rounder for long sessions.
The only thing I'd like is a little more euphony in the dynamics but maybe that has to do with the burn-in time (at least 150 hours, going by the owner's guide). 

So far, I'm impressed.

Just wait, it takes time to get used to the new signature, especially coming from dynamic drivers to planar headphones. The sound seems to emanate from the entire surface and as such it is very smooth. I think you will find the dynamics very strong and depending on your gear, euphonic.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back