= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Dec 29, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #10,951 of 21,179
SD, +1 on Kentucky Rye, though I am a bit partial to Islay Single Malts (when my Boss/Wife allows), you will find that the reduction of bladder capacity correlates directly with increasing age....

Never did learn to like Hockey, growing up in Gainesville, FL in the '70's anything involving ice was a bit of an unknown. Pity, I would have enjoyed a sport that includes striking other individuals with large sticks 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Edit: grammar, see Gainesville, FL, above, English is obviously my second language.....

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #10,952 of 21,179
I am planning to upgrade from HD598+FiiO E17 to HE-560+Project Polaris+DAC, but do not know which DAC is suitable for this setup. Can anyone experienced recommend me some "budget" DACs which are below $200? Thanks.

Also, I was thinking about getting audio-gd NFB-15 or NFB-11. Would this be a better option than polaris+other dac?

I can't comment from direct experience, but the Schiit Magni works so well with my HE-500 that I've thought about switching out my HRT Music Streamer II+ for Schiit's Modi 2 Uber.

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #10,953 of 21,179
I'll have a beer, gents!
Wanted to post about the Oppo PM-1, which just came today as part of the never ending tour it seems to be on. I have on hand the 560 and the Koss ESP-950, which I just recently received as part of a holiday buying frenzy. Just a short session (mostly what I can manage these days), source being new Pono (I like this player), line out into Ray Samuels HR-2 for the 560 and Oppo, and into Koss' dedicated amp. Listening to Hi REZ American Beauty, Grateful Dead HDTracks download (continuing my extended 2nd adolescence). So, you want quick, superficial impressions? Koss and 560 pretty close in sq, with the Koss being somewhat lighter in tonality, wider but shallower in soundstage, seemingly more detailed (though the detail is actually better/clearer/more defined on the 560). The 560 is richer, more full bodied. The Koss is the cheapest feeling (also the lightest, a plus of the cheap plastic build), 560 in the middle, with good comfort and build but you definitely note it on the head more than the Koss. And the Oppo: maybe it doesn't like the source combination, maybe the stars are badly aligned, but it doesn't sound as good as either of the other 2 in my quick listen. Darker, not as clean/clear, not as detailed, constricted (sounds like a closed headphone next to the Senn 650). Bass is strong, rhythmic, comfort OK, build the best of the 3 (at least, FEELS like it is better built). Was kind of surprised-can go back and forth on the Koss and Hifiman, hear the differences, like the sound from both, expected the same from the Oppo, not identical, but sorta equivalent SQ.
Oh well, grain of salt should be applied here (wait, any tequila drinkers out there?). Just a quick take. Really am getting to enjoy the 560's more and more...

Dec 30, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #10,955 of 21,179
HIFIMAN announced the HE-1000 flagship headphones just an hour ago in China:

Link to some photos: http://www.headphoneclub.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=292356#lastpost

It has super thin driver diaphragms and single side magnet structure as the HE-560. It looks to have very open wire grid so I think no more grid mod is needed for the HE-1000

Dec 30, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #10,956 of 21,179
^OK, time to start saving up, equal in price to the HE6, or priced LCD3 territory?!?!

Dec 30, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #10,957 of 21,179
SD, +1 on Kentucky Rye, though I am a bit partial to Islay Single Malts (when my Boss/Wife allows), you will find that the reduction of bladder capacity correlates directly with increasing age....

Never did learn to like Hockey, growing up in Gainesville, FL in the '70's anything involving ice was a bit of an unknown. Pity, I would have enjoyed a sport that includes striking other individuals with large sticks :veryevil:  

Edit: grammar, see Gainesville, FL, above, English is obviously my second language.....

Love your taste in scotch lol and Gainesville, FL was a great town to grow up in. I to never really learned to appreciate ice hockey, in Sarasota, FL. The only thing I liked was when the team's would brawl.

Dec 30, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #10,958 of 21,179
  I am planning to upgrade from HD598+FiiO E17 to HE-560+Project Polaris+DAC, but do not know which DAC is suitable for this setup. Can anyone experienced recommend me some "budget" DACs which are below $200? Thanks.

Also, I was thinking about getting audio-gd NFB-15 or NFB-11. Would this be a better option than polaris+other dac?

You might read this.
I would have suggested the ODAC for something under $200. There are some other thoughts in the linked thread.
I have an NFB 11 and like it. It is a bit colored, at least compared to the Polaris. But it is a coloration that pleases my ears.
I have been using the line out of the NFB 11 to dive the Polaris. This works well and as it seems that the coloration from the NFB 11 seems to come from the headphone amplification stage, it allows the Polaris to shine.
A disclaimer. I do not yet have the HE 560s that I ordered. I am talking about this in reference to my HE 400i , HD 580, 600 and 650.
I have no doubt that the 560s will sound good with the same configuration.

Oh yeah, the ODAC is fine with the Polaris as well. The only downside for me with that combination is that is will not play my High Resolution files...and DSD.

Dec 30, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #10,959 of 21,179
I can't comment from direct experience, but the Schiit Magni works so well with my HE-500 that I've thought about switching out my HRT Music Streamer II+ for Schiit's Modi 2 Uber.

+1

I used Modi for 8 months with my He-500s, and it worked well. Can't comment on the ODAC because I have never heard one. Assuming you are going USB, Modi + Wyrd = outstanding value for a DAC setup. Best wishes,

Dec 30, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #10,960 of 21,179

You might read this.
I would have suggested the ODAC for something under $200. There are some other thoughts in the linked thread.
I have an NFB 11 and like it. It is a bit colored, at least compared to the Polaris. But it is a coloration that pleases my ears.
I have been using the line out of the NFB 11 to dive the Polaris. This works well and as it seems that the coloration from the NFB 11 seems to come from the headphone amplification stage, it allows the Polaris to shine.
A disclaimer. I do not yet have the HE 560s that I ordered. I am talking about this in reference to my HE 400i , HD 580, 600 and 650.
I have no doubt that the 560s will sound good with the same configuration.

Oh yeah, the ODAC is fine with the Polaris as well. The only downside for me with that combination is that is will not play my High Resolution files...and DSD.

+1

I used Modi for 8 months with my He-500s, and it worked well. Can't comment on the ODAC because I have never heard one. Assuming you are going USB, Modi + Wyrd = outstanding value for a DAC setup. Best wishes,

Thank you all for your input, I think I'll be going with the Modi 2 until I have some more available to spend...I was originally thinking of getting HE-500+NFB-11, but changed my mind to HE-560+polaris+modi 2. The cans alone cost $700 :frowning2:, but at the same time I don't want to have comfort issues with HE-500. In the end it doesnt leave me much to spend on DAC/amp, so it looks like polaris and modi 2 is the best bang for the buck scenario for me 
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 30, 2014 at 3:47 AM Post #10,961 of 21,179

Thank you all for your input, I think I'll be going with the Modi 2 until I have some more available to spend...I was originally thinking of getting HE-500+NFB-11, but changed my mind to HE-560+polaris+modi 2. The cans alone cost $700 :frowning2:, but at the same time I don't want to have comfort issues with HE-500. In the end it doesnt leave me much to spend on DAC/amp, so it looks like polaris and modi 2 is the best bang for the buck scenario for me 
bigsmile_face.gif

Very good combo !
beerchug.gif

Dec 30, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #10,962 of 21,179
Hi there,

I read mixed impressions about the HE560 vs HE6. I don't know where is the better for my taste ?
I prefer full bodied sound and bit warm than leaner and brighter. 
Also I'm interested by the ESP 950 vs HE560 comparison as I might buying the Koss.

Thanks

Dec 30, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #10,963 of 21,179

Never did learn to like Hockey, growing up in Gainesville, FL in the '70's anything involving ice was a bit of an unknown. Pity, I would have enjoyed a sport that includes striking other individuals with large sticks 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Hockey isn't for everyone, soccer is like that for me, just can't seem to get drawn into the sport despite a few efforts. Now, does one mix an Islay Single Malt, or is it a neat drink? Have to watch the HE 1000 development, but I will bet it is going to be LCD 3 territory in price. Probably a little less, but more than the HE 6 is my guess. Look forward to the eventual release and subsequent first adopter reviews!

Dec 30, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #10,965 of 21,179
Hi there,

I read mixed impressions about the HE560 vs HE6. I don't know where is the better for my taste ?
I prefer full bodied sound and bit warm than leaner and brighter. 
Also I'm interested by the ESP 950 vs HE560 comparison as I might buying the Koss.

Thanks

I have the 560 and love it, so my bias is toward the 560, having said that, having listened to the 560 and 6 on the same First Watt Amp, both with Norne Draug Cabling, the 560 has more body, weight, and is more neutral, but the difference is very small, and varied by song/genre. The 560 is easier to drive, though it scales well with more powerful amps. Unless you are prepared to or have a speaker amp setup, IMO the 560 is the place to start. It is also much lighter and more comfortable. If possible try them both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back