= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Dec 29, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #10,936 of 21,179
+1, the 560 is neutral, the LCD 3 a bit on the dark side ( Lord Vader's favorite HP)......

Dec 29, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #10,937 of 21,179
+1, the 560 is neutral, the LCD 3 a bit on the dark side ( Lord Vader's favorite HP)......

yea, the he-560 doesn't really emphasis any particular frequency. isn't bright or dark. nothing seems overemphasized to me. i do enjoy a moderate addition of warmth to the he-560, but that's just a personal preference.

Dec 29, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #10,938 of 21,179

Really? I can see you saying the sound signature isn't for you, but to say it isn't a good headphone seems almost impossible given the extremely positive response the 560 has won here and elsewhere. How long did you listen to them? Please tell me at least several hours over a few days, which would be barely an acceptable minimum. Certainly if your used to a darker signature, it takes your brain a little bit of time.

No, I had one listen and that's all I need nowadays. I know for myself very confidently what sound I want and the HE-560 certainly didn't have it. Of course, me saying it's not a good headphone does not mean everyone needs to share my view 
wink.gif

Dec 29, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #10,941 of 21,179
A tube Hybred amp with good tubes and the Draug 2 vastly improve the slight peak in lower treble, it is more apparent with my pure SS amps.bthough definitely not the "ear bleeding" levels of poorly amped HE6 or HD800's.

Dec 29, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #10,942 of 21,179
560 emphasizes 4khz, especially with focus pads, so it is bright there. 

really? doesnt look that way from any of the measures frequncey reaponse curves ive seen? source?

Dec 29, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #10,944 of 21,179
really? doesnt look that way from any of the measures frequncey reaponse curves ive seen? source?

You can see Purrin's measurements here.  His measurements were the first to shed light on how the pads alter the fr of the 560, and showed the 560's fr itself.

Dec 29, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #10,945 of 21,179

No, I had one listen and that's all I need nowadays. I know for myself very confidently what sound I want and the HE-560 certainly didn't have it. Of course, me saying it's not a good headphone does not mean everyone needs to share my view 
wink.gif

We will have to agree to disagree. You may accept such a short audition for a headphone, but I will still contend that you are simply processing through a current auditory/neural mapping preference and not actually allowing your brain a chance to acclimate. Seeing as how the World Junior Hockey Championship is happening now I suggest we both allow our respective national teams to act as proxies for our duel! May the point of view most grounded in scientific evidence as opposed to personal opinion win
biggrin.gif

Dec 29, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #10,946 of 21,179
Totally just messing with you. It is fun to post after several rye and gingers. I'll have to do this more often. You want some of this?

Dec 29, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #10,947 of 21,179
  Totally just messing with you. It is fun to post after several rye and gingers. I'll have to do this more often. You want some of this?

I could have sworn I heard Craig Laughlin the other night bemoan the fact that the Canadian Juniors had some problems, at least at home.  He begged for help on their behalf.  I laughed, even though I love that ol' Cap.  Of course, I was listening through the HE-560s, so the facts may have gotten distorted somehow 
wink.gif

And yes, pass me a rye & ginger, please 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 29, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #10,948 of 21,179

I could have sworn I heard Craig Laughlin the other night bemoan the fact that the Canadian Juniors had some problems, at least at home.  He begged for help on their behalf.  I laughed, even though I love that ol' Cap.  Of course, I was listening through the HE-560s, so the facts may have gotten distorted somehow 
wink.gif

And yes, pass me a rye & ginger, please 
smily_headphones1.gif

That's a lot of hockey sass, I'm not sure I can give you a drink. Oh, what to hell, I'm onto American Bourbon so I hope you like that. I love the holidays, I can drink more than normal, watch international hockey and feel zero guilt. Although annoyingly, there is an increase in the feeling associated with needing to urinate. What's that all about?

Dec 29, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #10,949 of 21,179
  That's a lot of hockey sass, I'm not sure I can give you a drink. Oh, what to hell, I'm onto American Bourbon so I hope you like that. I love the holidays, I can drink more than normal, watch international hockey and feel zero guilt. Although annoyingly, there is an increase in the feeling associated with needing to urinate. What's that all about?

After the Olympics it's all pent up in me 
wink.gif

Juniors are beyond my level of interest, so I'll wave a tiny Canuck flag for you.  
beerchug.gif
 for your tiny bladder 
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 29, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #10,950 of 21,179
  My preference is a little bit dark side.
I have He-6s and LCD-2.2s which have two different natures, Brighter and Darker.
LCD-2.2 is not very excellent in highs, so that my upgrade path from LCD-2.2 might not be He-560, but LCD-3.
Is it reasonable?

HE-560 is in-between... not as bright as HE-6, but not as dark as LCD-2.2.

LCD-3 is more like a side-grade to LCD-2.2. IMO. Think LCD-2.2 but with more soundstage width instead of the usual "boxed-in" sound.

So yeah, HE-560 is brighter than LCD-3.

I think... if you want something brighter than LCD-2.2 and less bright than HE-6, then HE-560 may be it. If not, then LCD-3 is a good "upgrade" for soundstaging.

By the way, if you like bass on LCD-2.2, you may not like bass on either HE-560 or LCD-3. Both are tuned more toward neutrality, so... not a lot of punch or rumble.

Modded HE-560 can get better, though. Wider soundstage than HE-6, less bright than stock HE-560 (still brighter than LCD-2.2 or LCD-3), and bass hits harder than all of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back