= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Sep 19, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #8,251 of 21,174
Well said, I look forward to reading the articles. I will admit, the problem is more mine than your, you do not come off as "preachy" at all, I am just a bit thin skinned regarding objectivists arguments. Thanks again, buenos noches...

Sep 19, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #8,252 of 21,174
Money, after reviewing Lavry's Paper, one correction, it is not a "peer reviewed study", but a self-published paper from his web site, not a professional journal. It's a theory, much like opinions, everybody's got them. In reviewing professional discussion of his hypothesis, several Peers indicate his focus was more on ADC's, is that the case? Also, since Lavry sells a competing product, do believe there is a potential for bias? Thank you for the info, I look forward to learning more!

Sep 19, 2014 at 4:45 AM Post #8,253 of 21,174

Real hi-rez obviously can contain of more information than red book and red book of more information than lousy. This is NOT subjective and can very easy be measured even by simple tools like your media player. Bit depth is another thing it’s the number of bits of information in each sample.

If there is no difference why would many studios record in higher bit rate than red book/lousy, even before there was any marked for hi-rez? If you instead for audio look at movies or gaming and different resolutions would you say what there is no benefit using the master tape (hi-rez) to VHS (lousy)?

FYI If we strictly look at the midrange of a good recorded/pressed vinyl they actually have more information than a red book. If you compeer all frequency together (bass, mid, treble) red book has more info thought.

The difference between different amounts of information is NOT manifesting in adding information in higher or lower frequencies than red book, it’s like in movies it gives a more refined and smoother overall effect. The result is more noticeable or easy to detect if played thru gears that are resolving in the same way as a more resolving TV/monitor will make it.

Sep 19, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #8,254 of 21,174

Real hi-rez obviously can contain of more information than red book and red book of more information than lousy. This is NOT subjective and can very easy be measured even by simple tools like your media player. Bit depth is another thing it’s the number of bits of information in each sample.

If there is no difference why would many studios record in higher bit rate than red book/lousy, even before there was any marked for hi-rez? If you instead for audio look at movies or gaming and different resolutions would you say what there is no benefit using the master tape (hi-rez) to VHS (lousy)?

FYI If we strictly look at the midrange of a good recorded/pressed vinyl they actually have more information than a red book. If you compeer all frequency together (bass, mid, treble) red book has more info thought.

Oh man, I really hate to be "one of those guys". But I can't let this go...

Sure, hi rez can include more information, all the way to 48Khz in the case of 24/96.  Well outside of the range of hearing.

If vinyl appears to have more info than redbook in the mids, it's because of the RIAA curve:

http://sessionville.com/articles/what-is-the-riaa-curve

Not to mention the extra static, pops, and clicks missing on Redbook

Sep 19, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #8,255 of 21,174
One thing to note is that if you focus strictly on achieving a perfectly transparent, revealing and neutral experience, it might end up hindering it as well...
While quality 24/96 mastered recordings might sound sublime, others will more not...
All stuff is not mastered equal and sibilance tends to be very problematic for me for instance.
If my gear is completely revealing, lots of the tracks I like will simply sound harsh and strident because mastering.

That's why I love the 560 - it straddles a fine line between musicality and neutrality. It doesn't cover the flaws but it doesn't make them painful to listen to either... Very little susceptibility to sibilance.. Maybe there are people who only listen to well mastered stuff but I would never restrict myself to well mastered tracks just because a headphone demands it, or gear.
Neutral, capable but enjoyable :)

Sep 19, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #8,256 of 21,174
One thing to note is that if you focus strictly on achieving a perfectly transparent, revealing and neutral experience, it might end up hindering it as well...
While quality 24/96 mastered recordings might sound sublime, others will more not...
All stuff is not mastered equal and sibilance tends to be very problematic for me for instance.
If my gear is completely revealing, lots of the tracks I like will simply sound harsh and strident because mastering.

That's why I love the 560 - it straddles a fine line between musicality and neutrality. It doesn't cover the flaws but it doesn't make them painful to listen to either... Very little susceptibility to sibilance.. Maybe there are people who only listen to well mastered stuff but I would never restrict myself to well mastered tracks just because a headphone demands it, or gear.
Neutral, capable but enjoyable
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm with you there 100%

Even some of my well mastered stuff is just part of a genre that can be too intense for super transparent headphones like the hd800 (I listen to lots of different types of metal and electronic music with a few random genres in between). The hd800 just got too sibilant lots of the time. I think a headphone should be more like a chameleon, be amazingly clear and detailed and full with well recorded music, and be able to handle lesser recordings without making them sound painful and horrible. Because otherwise you sometimes end up with a situation where low end headphones sound better than the high end. But then its kinda like the same problem but in reverse, all your low quality music sounds great, but you lack the ability to enjoy higher quality recordings. Especially in movies and video games where there isnt usually any compression of dynamics at all since it was designed to be played in theaters or home entertainment systems, unlike music that is played everywhere.

I feel the best headphones are the ones that can accomplish this balance best. he-560 hits the super neutral, if not maybe the slightest tilt toward bright, in tone, while something like the lcd 2 fazor is now pretty balanced also but on the tilt towards warm and thicker. Maybe its a planar thing? Which means as they keep perfecting the tech, these types of headphones might be the way to go in general for both objective and subjective best sounding headphones, with the exception for special purposes (like studio work, or exclusive super high quality mastered listening).

Sep 19, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #8,257 of 21,174
  Oh man, I really hate to be "one of those guys". But I can't let this go...

Sure, hi rez can include more information, all the way to 48Khz in the case of 24/96.  Well outside of the range of hearing.

If vinyl appears to have more info than redbook in the mids, it's because of the RIAA curve:

http://sessionville.com/articles/what-is-the-riaa-curve

Not to mention the extra static, pops, and clicks missing on Redbook

The amount of information one can make out as sonic difference is subjective and will as I stated depend on gear, recording quality etc. etc. If you think that 48 kHz is the limit for hearing I will let you think that. Btw the human hearing is not liner, we have much better/accurate hearing in the midrange (evolution), and it’s why we have created instrument/music that mostly plays where.

Yes and no. It’s because they compress the treble and bass much more than the midrange in the pressed vinyl. The compression method in analog is very different to digital. In analog audio you get less dynamic room if you look across the board, the equivalent of 12 bit in digital audio, but not so much difference if you strictly look at the midrange. And as I said a good recorded/pressed vinyl have a bit more information than a red book in the midrange.

Yes sure digital audio have certainly an advantage then it comes to static, pops, clicks, lower noise floor, better bass and treble extension etc. that was never the topic of my post
tongue.gif

Sep 19, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #8,258 of 21,174

Neutral, capable but enjoyable
smily_headphones1.gif

The music and musicality is priority number one for me. With that said I have never experienced that hi-rez have made the treble sibilant or in way make the sound less musical and easy to listen to. I would say that my experience is the opposite that hi-rez it gives a more refined, calm and smoother overall effect with less strident treble.

Sep 19, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #8,260 of 21,174
removed - no need to have this post read further - back on topic I go.

Sep 19, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #8,261 of 21,174
Is anyone reading this thread in hopes of HE-560 info instead of sound science quibbling?

Sep 19, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #8,262 of 21,174
Is anyone reading this thread in hopes of HE-560 info instead of sound science quibbling?

I do lol. Which is why I just stopped reading most new posts here nowadays.

Sep 19, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #8,264 of 21,174
I do lol. Which is why I just stopped reading most new posts here nowadays.

Except for my post apparently for which I thank you Mr Genius Modder!
Whoops not quite on topic yet...

Still debating if I can execute the open grill mod myself to expand the soundstage and bass a bit...

Sep 19, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #8,265 of 21,174
Fair enough guys, but I am fairly sure you have in your time here participated in the debate to one extent or another outside of the sound science forum. Anyway, I have been around here long enough to know not to get sucked into the debate off topic so my bad for sure. I agree, the 560 thread is for discussing the 560.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back