= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Aug 21, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #7,366 of 21,173
I think that manufacturers also have to keep costs down so they aren't going to go with the best cable possible, just one that sounds good for the cost.

I replaced my cable with a silver litz cable from Whiplash Audio and it's a remarkably better sounding cable than the stock one.
I would be very surprised if someone couldn't hear the difference because it's clear as night and day.. or more like fog and a clear day.

If I never changed cables, I would probably be fine with the stock one, but now... well, lets just say that this one is much better and once again, shows how well these headphones respond to changes and how capable they really are.

Aug 21, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #7,367 of 21,173
Have any of Ya'll used the iFi iDSD Micro with your 560's yet, if so what were your results?

Aug 21, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #7,369 of 21,173
Have any of Ya'll used the iFi iDSD Micro with your 560's yet, if so what were your results?

Heya, have not done an in depth listening session yet but a couple quick notes:
a) iMac-->Concero HD-->Vali-->HE-560
vs
b) iMac-->micro iDSD-->HE-560

a) had a wider soundstage than b).  some folks called b "more focused" or narrow, indeed it is.
b) had ZERO problem providing enough power to HE-560s, Turbo (amp) mode is not always needed.

level of detail and clarity seemed very much the same.
have not gone into in-depth comparisons wrt treble/mid/bass as of yet, sorry.

Lyr 2 arrives soon to replace Vali and give the HE-560 a bit more desktop juice and allow for some tube rolling to provide a tad more warmth or lower end when needed.

Aug 22, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #7,370 of 21,173
Heya, have not done an in depth listening session yet but a couple quick notes:
a) iMac-->Concero HD-->Vali-->HE-560
vs
b) iMac-->micro iDSD-->HE-560

a) had a wider soundstage than b).  some folks called b "more focused" or narrow, indeed it is.
b) had ZERO problem providing enough power to HE-560s, Turbo (amp) mode is not always needed.

level of detail and clarity seemed very much the same.
have not gone into in-depth comparisons wrt treble/mid/bass as of yet, sorry.

Lyr 2 arrives soon to replace Vali and give the HE-560 a bit more desktop juice and allow for some tube rolling to provide a tad more warmth or lower end when needed.

Thank you! I am looking for a more portable way to enjoy the 560's (and Alpha Dogs) around the house, not chained to my desk, or via my iPhone! I don't expect the iDSD to keep up with my Lyr 2, but it would be great to have an alternative source. Have you used it as a DAC solely for DSD?

I look forward to hearing more about how it holds up to your Lyr 2.

Cheers :beers:

Aug 22, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #7,371 of 21,173
  Got the A18 to pair with the D100 and HE560.  So far so good, but this thing is a heater!  The D100 amp only gets slightly warm after awhile in comparison.

So you did grab an A18, nice! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. I hope the heat production isn't an issue for you as the A18 is quite nice kit to have around.

Aug 22, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #7,373 of 21,173
This is the dual Wolfson model? If so you're in for a treat, specially balanced. If bass was a problem being too scarce in your mind for the 560, that dac should solve it. Soundstage and imaging is fantastic balanced as well.
My AudioGD NFB-10.33 just shipped. Will be running the 560 balanced through it. Will be going with a Norne Draug 2 in the very near future as well.

Aug 22, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #7,374 of 21,173
I'm not sure what to make of this bass sometimes present, sometimes not. I don't experience this at all, I find the bass on the 560 very good, and the more my brain gets used to the signature, the more I like it. Assuming there are no defects and the headphone is functioning to specifications I don't know how you can have the headphone perform differently. If it is working, and if nothing else changes in the audio chain, then I fail to see how the headphone can reproduce bass with any degree of variation. Now I will say there are differences in how we hear at different times of the day. I will have to find some evidence to support that statement, but for me I have no doubt that my hearing perception changes. There are just days nothing sounds right, including my speaker system. I can remember many, many occasions playing tunes I'm super familiar with and feeling that the system sounds flat or thin, but the next day, or at a different time, voila, things sound fine.

Again, I can't say I know this as absolute truth, but I just don't see how a functioning to spec headphone can exhibit variable sound reproduction by itself.

Let me elaborate...
It applies to different songs.
Of course one song will always sound the same but a different one will sound different.
It is up to a point thanks to the revealing nature of this headphone.
However, I believe the mids and treble perform more consistently at a similar level why bass power changes wildly.
I am in no way saying the bass is lacking, it's just less present on certain tracks than I'd like while perfectly present on others.
Good/bad days notwithstanding, this is consistent and doesn't change.

Aug 22, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #7,376 of 21,173
I'm sort of bummed that there's considerably large imbalance <1khz for the money. 
rolleyes.gif
 I've tried now with different pads, without grills etc it's clear none of them are are affecting it. Right side is always ~2dB less with some funny 300&500hz drops. Measured my drivers 41.1 & 42.2 ohms.

Aug 22, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #7,378 of 21,173
  I'm sort of bummed that there's considerably large imbalance <1khz for the money. 
rolleyes.gif
 I've tried now with different pads, without grills etc it's clear none of them are are affecting it. Right side is always ~2dB less with some funny 300&500hz drops. Measured my drivers 41.1 & 42.2 ohms.

Yeah that's a pretty massive driver imbalance. Guess you got a bad apple 
frown.gif

Aug 22, 2014 at 4:29 AM Post #7,379 of 21,173
**** Quick Pads comparison *** IMO ***

I finally received my Focus Pads-A. Hard to say which one I prefer !

Focus Pads-A => more comfortable (they are very sweet), but less aesthetic.
The sound is more intimate and consistent, and more relaxing. Does seem to reduce the peak 4khz.
But it is slightly losing the soundstage width. When I try the Grill Mod with these pads, the soundstage seems to be unbalanced with too much depth compared to width.

Focus-Pads => more energy in the treble, more air and details (slightly). Can be a little overwhelming. The Grill Mod works best with a higher and consistent soundstage.

Aug 22, 2014 at 5:03 AM Post #7,380 of 21,173
Just gotten word from Head-Direct than the stock cable in 3M length will be made available soon, at 199USD.

My dreams came true after all! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back