= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Aug 15, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #6,976 of 21,171
I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to DSD. I know that installing one of the boards into the Bifrost requires lining up the leds with holes, I think it's the USB board so you might be lucky. The Bifrost thread has the install instructions about lining up stuff. Finding it may be a challenge.

I got advice to wait a bit on the dsd thingie until its matured a bit.....its nowhere sure it will be the next big thing..and its a pity to spend good money on something that wont last like so many good ideas in the past (sacd, sony beta, philips v2000 to name a few in the past..most superior over the systems that survived)

But if u want..go for it :wink:

Aug 15, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #6,977 of 21,171
I got advice to wait a bit on the dsd thingie until its matured a bit.....its nowhere sure it will be the next big thing..and its a pity to spend good money on something that wont last like so many good ideas in the past (sacd, sony beta, philips v2000 to name a few in the past..most superior over the systems that survived)

But if u want..go for it
wink.gif

Umm, I'll leave that for someone else.

Aug 15, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #6,978 of 21,171
I guess I could send it in, I am a bit worried about turn around time though, 3 weeks, 2 to and from shipping, 1 for the work is a long time to go with out my main DAC. Could hold on to my Modi as backup, I have heard the Über sound board is a big step up. Though I think some of the changes Jason mentioned will be updated Bowes for the Bifrost and Gungnir.

To install: The TV repairshop no longer exists, so that's probably not an option. How about a local HAM radio operator club. I'd bet you can find someone there. Or an engineering student at a local university.

Aug 15, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #6,979 of 21,171
^Murray State University is nearby and the Guy that does my computer repair could probably handle the installation.

Do you have experience with the Über sound card upgrade?

Aug 15, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #6,980 of 21,171
^Murray State University is nearby and the Guy that does my computer repair could probably handle the installation.

Do you have experience with the Über sound card upgrade?

I got mine fully loaded. I wouldn't have any problem installing it as I'm as HiFi puts it a techie. It's probably an easy task, don't let the computer repair guy talk up a storm or make hay of it.

Aug 15, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #6,981 of 21,171
I got mine fully loaded. I wouldn't have any problem installing it as I'm as HiFi puts it a techie. It's probably an easy task, don't let the computer repair guy talk up a storm or make hay of it.

Do you know if there is soldering involved or if it's kind off a "click and go" install? I guess I need to email the Guys at Schiit and get their input. Cheers!!!!

Aug 15, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #6,982 of 21,171
Do you know if there is soldering involved or if it's kind off a "click and go" install? I guess I need to email the Guys at Schiit and get their input. Cheers!!!!

I believe it's an easy click, screww and go. Email them, Nick answers very quickly. Hurry up, TGIF.

Aug 15, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #6,983 of 21,171
I upgraded my Gungnir to the new USB board and it was nothing at all. That said, the challenge was getting the led lights lined up correctly. I never got them perfect and now the lights are quite a bit dimmer looking (but I don't really care as I like the effect), but not so much so to make me want to try and get it perfectly aligned as it is quite fiddly.

Aug 15, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #6,985 of 21,171
  Will it have a green case and bolts on its sides?

nope...black and blue interior (like mine)..bolts? Well thats i thing i hate about my amp..it uses special bolts for which u need a special tiny thingie to loosen them (provided with package).. But they look beautiful being polished stainless steel. ..so no green..but if u want..no worries..they do it for u..
biggrin.gif

I think this is more what Stan had in mind 
biggrin.gif

Aug 15, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #6,986 of 21,171
  I upgraded my Gungnir to the new USB board and it was nothing at all. That said, the challenge was getting the led lights lined up correctly. I never got them perfect and now the lights are quite a bit dimmer looking (but I don't really care as I like the effect), but not so much so to make me want to try and get it perfectly aligned as it is quite fiddly.

I believe that Wildcatsare1 is referring to the Uber upgrade, not USB. Not sure if there are any LEDs to line up.
Nick at Schiit will let him know. Ooh that sounds funny.

Aug 15, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #6,987 of 21,171
Oh, SS can be a beautiful thing, my Krell FPB 300 is an awesome amp, and a great combination with the Audible Illusions M3a, my Lyr 2 makes that magic in a single chassis, can't wait to add my new Bifrost in this weekend.

Thurston, I also received the grill material you recommended on Jerg's Thread, looking forward to some modding this weekend!!!!

Welcome to Schiitville!  It's got a beautiful view.

Excellent.  In addition to all the other advice, leather work gloves are a good idea while handling the grills, unless you like filleted fingers, or have serious callouses.

Aug 15, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #6,989 of 21,171
Yep, you got it. Call the company, "Green Bolt."

Damn..again i missed the funny clue...and fell for it.....i have to read up on techie humor :D

Aug 15, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #6,990 of 21,171
  Yep, you got it. Call the company, "Green Bolt."

What happens when the Green Bolt passes through the Blue Circle?  HiFi's ultimate love child is born nine minutes later, or some kind of ancient alien apocalypse?  And will the blessed event be televised, cuz it sure sounds like a revolution(ary product) to me.  Bet it'll rock the grills right off a pair of HE-560s, and melt the pads into some serious hybrid goodness.

Apparently it's time for me medication.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back