= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Aug 7, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #6,616 of 21,175
Mental note, don't get sucked into these debates and derail threads. I will have to write that on a chalk board 100 times now ....

:beerchug:
My friend....i think i wrote that a million times already on the wall..hehehe slowly counting to 100 sometimes helps also.. :D

Aug 7, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #6,617 of 21,175
A wall, but writing on a wall is graffiti isn't it? That would be wrong, shame on you hifimanrookie, think about the impressionable children.

Aug 7, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #6,618 of 21,175
I'm not saying that there are no better amps out there, or that people will always rate more expensive gear as better. But I think that the improvement is mostly from placebo and really small part of it is from objective difference so it's not really worth it to spend thousands on an amp.

First, there has been a fairly strong consensus on this thread the the Lyr 2 is an outstanding match with the HE560, plus the Uber Bifrost would fall well into the original writers $1,00.00 budget. Plus to say more expensive amps are better due to placebo effect, is just plain ignorant. I spent years moving up the amp ladder on my main rig, according to people like you, my early Adcom Amp, and my final Krell Amp, sound alike, except to a placebo effect. Brother, puts some more years and experience under your belt before making sweeping pronouncements. Cheers.

Aug 7, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #6,619 of 21,175
First, there has been a fairly strong consensus on this thread the the Lyr 2 is an outstanding match with the HE560, plus the Uber Bifrost would fall well into the original writers $1,00.00 budget. Plus to say more expensive amps are better due to placebo effect, is just plain ignorant. I spent years moving up the amp ladder on my main rig, according to people like you, my early Adcom Amp, and my final Krell Amp, sound alike, except to a placebo effect. Brother, puts some more years and experience under your belt before making sweeping pronouncements. Cheers.

That sweet Stack o' Schiit would land right on $1000, and don't forget to factor in tubes (but you do get a starter pair).  I love my Stack o' Schiit (Pile o' Schiit??? 
biggrin.gif
 ) with the HE-500s and HE-560s.  Don't want to be seen as proselytizer, I'm just sayin' I dig that combo, and I know I'm not alone.

blue circle Blue Circle BLUE CIRCLE!!!  Wait, what...?
wink.gif

Aug 7, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #6,620 of 21,175
People, calm down. ieee754 is not saying all differences in sound (from amps) are due to placebo. He/she is saying that it's mostly due to placebo, and that amps are objectively more similar than different.
He/she is also not saying that people will "always rate more expensive gear as better"--seriously, the quote is literally:
I'm not saying...that people will always rate more expensive gear as better. 

It's just a call to have us give objective measurements more weight than we do / have been so far.

Coming back to the O2, all ieee754 is saying is that:
1) It has enough power for the HE-560
2) This proves that you can spend very little on an amp to fulfill the HE-560's amping requirements

There was no debate on tonality, which I think everyone can agree upon is both a personal choice, and (probably) difficult to measure anyway. So let's say you want a warmer sounding amp, then perhaps you would spend more than an O2 to find one that sounds that way and powers the 560 sufficiently.
(FWIW, I'm in the process of buying a 560 secondhand, and I know that is precisely the kind of amp I'll be looking for.)

Aug 7, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #6,621 of 21,175
  People, calm down. ieee754 is not saying all differences in sound (from amps) are due to placebo. He/she is saying that it's mostly due to placebo, and that amps are objectively more similar than different.
He/she is also not saying that people will "always rate more expensive gear as better"--seriously, the quote is literally:

It's just a call to have us give objective measurements more weight than we do / have been so far.

Coming back to the O2, all ieee754 is saying is that:
1) It has enough power for the HE-560
2) This proves that you can spend very little on an amp to fulfill the HE-560's amping requirements

There was no debate on tonality, which I think everyone can agree upon is both a personal choice, and (probably) difficult to measure anyway. So let's say you want a warmer sounding amp, then perhaps you would spend more than an O2 to find one that sounds that way and powers the 560 sufficiently.
(FWIW, I'm in the process of buying a 560 secondhand, and I know that is precisely the kind of amp I'll be looking for.)

Fella, I have an O2 and tried a 1 amp supply..... really not enough juice to limber the timbers......sorry.......

Aug 7, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #6,622 of 21,175
  Here is my new modded HE-560 !
More about that tomorrow on the dedicated thread.

Beautiful! Where, may I ask, did you get those grills from?

Aug 7, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #6,623 of 21,175
That sweet Stack o' Schiit would land right on $1000, and don't forget to factor in tubes (but you do get a starter pair).  I love my Stack o' Schiit (Pile o' Schiit??? :D  ) with the HE-500s and HE-560s.  Don't want to be seen as proselytizer, I'm just sayin' I dig that combo, and I know I'm not alone.

blue circle Blue Circle [COLOR=3366CC]BLUE CIRCLE[/COLOR]!!!  Wait, what...? :wink:  

Ur sounding like ur brainwashed dude..by a very evil dude who talks about alien blue circles all the time...maybe he is one of those.little green men :D
But Ur talking bout emotiva right? As emotiva has a blue circle/ blue light :D
What happened to that amp anyway? On the he500 thread almost everyone believed that was the deal of the century for the he500 for its price..(i was even at a point of buying one at a certain moment for my backup/second very humble studyroom rig) here i dont even see a glimpse of anyone advising that amp with its blue-ish glowing lighties and huge powerreserves..

OMG..did i actually talked about that amp? The amp that gave me so much headaches because of all the heated debates between that amp and the amp i had back then :D omg..now i think i am brainwashed as well... Quick..have to call the men in black.. :p

Aug 7, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #6,624 of 21,175
Ur sounding like ur brainwashed dude..by a very evil dude who talks about alien blue circles all the time...maybe he is one of those.little green men :D
But Ur talking bout emotiva right? As emotiva has a blue circle/ blue light :D

Emotiva, what Emotiva, he's talking about the flying Blue Circles one sees flying near Indian Springs, Nevada, beautiful blue circles :scream:

Aug 7, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #6,626 of 21,175
I just got my pair of these in the mail today and am loving them so far.  Super comfy.  I returned a pair of HD700s back to Amazon and got these.  They sound great out of my Asgard 2 + Bifrost Uber!

Aug 7, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #6,627 of 21,175
  I just got my pair of these in the mail today and am loving them so far.  Super comfy.  I returned a pair of HD700s back to Amazon and got these.  They sound great out of my Asgard 2 + Bifrost Uber!

Were the HD 700s as odd a sound signature as I hear? Apparently the treble just doesn't make sense on the 700. Anyway, depending on what you are looking for of course, but you should be in for a treat. If you are at all into electronic music holly bat balls does the 560 handle this genre extremely well. I loved the D7000 with electronic music, but the overblown bass (and less articulate bass as compared to the 560) I think obscured too much micro detail which the 560 really finds without over-scaling this information. The more I listen, the more I like. The only negative is a slightly too tight clamping force that does cause a little discomfort; however as I tend to sit for shorter listening sessions this isn't a huge issue. Anyway, look forward to your impressions.

Aug 8, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #6,628 of 21,175
Ur sounding like ur brainwashed dude..by a very evil dude who talks about alien blue circles all the time...maybe he is one of those.little green men
biggrin.gif

But Ur talking bout emotiva right? As emotiva has a blue circle/ blue light
biggrin.gif

What happened to that amp anyway? On the he500 thread almost everyone believed that was the deal of the century for the he500 for its price..(i was even at a point of buying one at a certain moment for my backup/second very humble studyroom rig) here i dont even see a glimpse of anyone advising that amp with its blue-ish glowing lighties and huge powerreserves..

OMG..did i actually talked about that amp? The amp that gave me so much headaches because of all the heated debates between that amp and the amp i had back then
biggrin.gif
omg..now i think i am brainwashed as well... Quick..have to call the men in black..
tongue.gif

I was just outside having a smoke and saw a big blue circle hovering overhead.  I told it to get back to Holland 
wink.gif

On an on-topic note, I just created the UGLIEST Frankenstein's Monster Hybrid Pads.  I took the foam doughnut left over from making jerg pads (guess that's from the HE-500 velours...? whichever one is left over), sliced it to create an angle, sewed some microsuede to the inner ring, folded it over and underneath, secured it with my all time favorite (3M carpet tape), affixed an extra thick Creatology ring to the underside with... you guessed it, carpet tape, and finally more carpet tape to affix the pad to the mounting ring (salvaged from my mismatched Focus pads that came with my HE-560s).  For the final touch, I used a strip of the thin Creatology adhesive felt to the inside, which helps with any peakiness.

As has been posited, the density of the foam used really makes a difference.  I was surprised at first, having worn the denser Q701-based pads all day, and it took a minute to adjust and realize why the new ones sounded so different.  Then the light bulb went on, and I sat back to enjoy the sound of napalm in the morning.  It sounds like... victory 
darthsmile.gif

Did I mention these are ugly?  LMAO ugly.  But the sound!  Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh.  Like the FocusPads, but my ears are so happy swimming in the extra space.  Compared to the other pads I hacked together using the foam from the Q701 pads, Frankenstein's Monsters are less dark, still provide killer bass, and have a better detail, soundstage and imaging.  It was DIY hell today, but I landed in the Promised Land.

And they are so ugly, they scared that blue circle in the sky all the way back to the Nether Reaches... errrrr, Netherlands 
wink.gif

Aug 8, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #6,630 of 21,175
Now that I have a solid, powerful amp and an end game DAC on the way (which will ultimately tell me whether there's a difference I can perceive) I am really looking forward to doing 560 vs 400i comparison :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back