= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Aug 4, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #6,436 of 21,179
Hmmm, I guess I'll find out in 2 - 3 days about the new 560 case. I travel 17 - 20 days a month and if I have to unscrew the cables nearly every day, that will be a deal-killer and they'll go back. I'll post my review here as soon as they arrive.

Aug 4, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #6,438 of 21,179
I do not understand the trouble some have with the cable. I unscrew mine all the time and have a case for travel and don't want the cables attached putting a strain on the connector. The case is a good price though. I have a similar type for my ESW10 Jpn and it goes everywhere with me. 

Aug 4, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #6,439 of 21,179
@HiFlyMan.  Do you have to unscrew the cable?  

With the case i had..yeah...hated it..used my beyer bag instead..but the bag looked good and was very very sturdy..good quality! If u can live with that cable thingie..its perfect.
I just dont like disconnecting cables..except for exhanging for new cable...sooner or later it goes wrong...as i said.. beyer does better..my experience in the past with a he300.

Aug 5, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #6,441 of 21,179
I was thinking of using the case also for storage on my desk.  I have a stand but the pads are a little compressed and I don't have one of those Stax vinyl dust covers any more..  I'd rather not have to unscrew the cable but for that price, I'd probably get it anyway since the box doesn't seem very practical for anything and since it was damaged, it wasn't even practical for initial shipping.

Aug 5, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #6,442 of 21,179
  I hope it's for the 560.  Those pics of the insides are the exact same as the previous travel case, which will not fit the 560's suspension band.

On the travel case's page (link below) , they mentioned that this case was specifically designed for the HE-560, and is 1 cm deeper than the original one. So it should be fine for the HE-560.

http://www.head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=207

Aug 5, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #6,443 of 21,179
Quick thought about pads.  I managed to mod my Q701 pads to fit the HE-560s.  Basically, I tore them up, salvaged the foam, trimmed the old HFM mounting rings (they're bigger than the new ones, and couldn't get past the yokes, which meant no real fit and seal), and then trimmed the outside edge of the foam to make it roughly the diameter of the mounting rings.  Stitched some very soft microsuede on for comfort, et voila! totally different pads from the FocusPads (don't have the FocusPad-As yet; HFM shipping this week).  They're not much to look at, but fortunately I don't have to when they're on my head.

Soundwise, the Q701 pads produce more bass, but the sound is slightly more diffuse, compared to the FocusPads.  It would seem the denser AKG foam is the key contributing factor.  The soundstage is definitely bigger, but imaging may suffer.  As has been noted, the FocusPads live up to their name.  I'm really impressed with them; very balanced with the HE-560s.  That said, the modded Q pads work very nicely with some stuff where strutting around a big stage plays well.  I'd still say the FocusPads produce more accurate bass.  The Q pads have no dust screen mesh, so it's just the ones over the drivers.  Upper mids and highs really shine.  I'm thinking a somewhat V-shaped signature is produced, but I've no way to measure it.  Would be fun to compare to the HE-400s, which I've only read about.

It is nice to have options.

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #6,445 of 21,179
Lol, so I asked for some type of reimbursement for my headphones because it is the third time I will be receiving them. My first two came in rough shape with scratches on the gimbals and cups. The second HE-560s came with even larger scratches and a missing headphone cable. Yeah, weird right? So I asked for a possible reimbursement and some information on when the headphones would be shipped. They said it would take 1-2 weeks, so it would be a total of 1 month since I received my headphones. A little disappointed, but not the end of the world until I saw this email. They are acting like they are doing me a favor by shipping the replacements. 

"Thanks for your support to our products. The reason why we delayed shipping and ship it from China is not what we expected. Just because you bought a headphone which costs almost $900, we must hold you and the headphone accountable. I apologize for the inconvenience. I've urged our factory in China to repackage a set of headphone for you, and ship it out today. Please understand that what we have done is for our customer's satisfaction."

What a nice email.

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #6,446 of 21,179
  The 560s clamp too much for my head, but they do sound audibly more clear than the 500s.  Just wish they have a bit more treble quantity, I think Hifiman did a good job on them.  Interesting Box as well...

I wonder if the "DVD box" thing showed earlier in this thread worked out well (basically puting the headphones on the longest side to loosen the clamp).

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #6,447 of 21,179
  Lol, so I asked for some type of reimbursement for my headphones because it is the third time I will be receiving them. My first two came in rough shape with scratches on the gimbals and cups. The second HE-560s came with even larger scratches and a missing headphone cable. Yeah, weird right? So I asked for a possible reimbursement and some information on when the headphones would be shipped. They said it would take 1-2 weeks, so it would be a total of 1 month since I received my headphones. A little disappointed, but not the end of the world until I saw this email. They are acting like they are doing me a favor by shipping the replacements. 

"Thanks for your support to our products. The reason why we delayed shipping and ship it from China is not what we expected. Just because you bought a headphone which costs almost $900, we must hold you and the headphone accountable. I apologize for the inconvenience. I've urged our factory in China to repackage a set of headphone for you, and ship it out today. Please understand that what we have done is for our customer's satisfaction."

What a nice email.

Pathetic, I am extremely disappointed to read that. It takes some of the pleasure I feel in my 560 away. I don't like supporting companies that refuse to provide acceptable customer service. With all of the high quality options available to me, this may be my first and last HFM headphone. You can call it an overreaction, and perhaps it is, but I can't stand hearing such poor customer service. Makes me wonder how badly treated I would be if I had to do a warranty claim or deal with a repair from them. HFM, you get an F- for this particular incident. Very sad.

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #6,448 of 21,179
Frankly I think we should start an online open letter to HFM where we the supporters let them know that this type of customer service does not align with their products and where they are trying to take their company. Perhaps an on mass show of support for an increase in customer service savvy and quality control is what HFM needs to see. In isolation our voices are easy to ignore, but together not so easy to ignore. We are talking about somebody needing to get three headphones shipped to him and being told he has to take his responsibility as a customer. Pardon me, but I thought that was done when he paid the full retail price and was an early adopter which is a critical customer as we essentially act as the real-life testers for them to fine tune the headphone.

Aug 5, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #6,449 of 21,179

[COLOR=222222]"Thanks for your support to our products. The reason why we delayed shipping and ship it from China is not what we expected. Just because you bought a headphone which costs almost $900, we must hold you and the headphone accountable. I apologize for the inconvenience. I've urged our factory in China to repackage a set of headphone for you, and ship it out today. Please understand that what we have done is for our customer's satisfaction."[/COLOR]

[COLOR=222222]What a nice email.[/COLOR]

I would think they did not really meant "hold you and the headphone accountable", rather I think they meant "due to the high value of your purchase, we must take full responsibility... etc... Hence we must ship out a perfect pair for you from our factory instead". English after all is not their first language, wouldn't be too surprised if they use the wrong words at the wrong places. Also, wouldn't make much sense to me for HFM to tell a customer "hey, you are accountable for making this purchase, so just wait there will ya".

Aug 5, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #6,450 of 21,179

What a nice email.

I wouldn't get mad, it looks like they are not very good with English and they were unfortunate to make email sounding like that. But if they want to sell their products to western people they should invest more in English training for their employees.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back