= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Aug 4, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #6,391 of 21,173
After having spent some time with the 560 through Justin's head amp loaner program, the treble emphasis has indeed been blown out of proportion. These are incredibly balanced headphones. Different presentation then something like Stax or even Sennheiser. But I could easily listen to treble heavy tracks without an ounce of fatigue. Although it's a bad comparison, it reminds me a little of how smooth the treble is on the re0 iem. Great extension and resolution without harshness.

Aug 4, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #6,393 of 21,173
No problem.  You can just chalk this one up to my happy delusions then.  I'm fine with believing I hear the same track played back to back (focusing on a very small bit for reference's sake)  in 16/44 and 24/192 on the same player (audirvana) sound quite different.  But I'm one of those loonies who think that vinyl sounds better than any digital medium too so take my comments with the grain of salt.  So does SACD not sound any better either?  
Perhaps if I read I can convince my ears I don't hear a difference but for now, my ears tell me there is a difference.

I tried sacd tracks..OMG..although my dac has problems sometimes decoding/playing? them (i think it had to do with the asio/or wasapi jriver drivers under windows 8.1)... But The sound..man..the sound..so open...so full...i have a few 1 sacd from meatloaf (bat out of hell) and 15 sacd's of queen, of which i love innuendo the most..dudes..those analog recorded non compressed recorded tracks will blow u away... I have same music on mp3 320(found it on an older hdd) and regular cd rips (ripped with dbpoweramp) of cd's i loaned from a friend of mine..AND i also got the same music on good high bitrate 24/96 VINYL rips from original good maintained LP's...

I say it again...the queen tracks..i heared all all the same!

To my ears the mp3 was far worse..more 2d and smeared together
Second was cd-rips...sounded very very good..and normally i wouldnt want more if i didnt know better...sound was exactly as the cd's i ripped. Perfect!
Then the rips i got in 24/96 from vinyl..well..what can i say..u love it or u dont..those little ticks sometimes..the warmth the cd version misses...especially the violins and guitars sound more real as the real thing...as i said..those ticks and a eeny weeny wining sometimes between the tracks u have to love...some prefer the more tighter colder to the point kind of presentation of the later mastered cd's.. And i can understand that!
Last but not least..and i have to admit..until a month agao i never ever heard a sacd disk..ever...and i was a bit hestitated that it could be better then what for me is the best..vinyl rips..but...its layer upon layer..HUGE soundstage..placement of intruments are much improved also..i even heard someone coughing in the audience when the music was low..i dont think that was the meaning...lolz..never heard that..hehehehe

But i think the difference between good 16/44 cd-rips, 24/96 vinyl rips or sacd rips is party a component thingie and ur ears thingie... No matter if u can measure it or not..

Just wanted to show u my experience with those...and to be honest..sacd surprised me. Now i am trying to find my favorite tracks in sacd....but thats almost impossible... :xf_eek:

Guys..i know some of u guys believe that 16bit is the holy grail... But i found out that on older recorded material and better recorded (again mostly older material) big classical orchestra material..sacd could be the holy grail..i dont understand why it never took off and got an early death...probably the wrong advertisement..and players to expensive..as it really sound good....so i am off to find more..its my day off..hehehehe

Have fun debating..and back to the he560

Aug 4, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #6,394 of 21,173
  Has anyone tried different cables yet on the HE560? Any impressions? Thanks.

You sir, have clearly not been reading the last few pages
tongue.gif
...Cables make no difference. 
rolleyes.gif
  Wanna buy a bridge?  

psst... (I have some Whiplash Audio Silver LItz cables on the way..  I will post impressions if I can stomach the nauseating taunts from the naysayers) 
wink.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 4, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #6,395 of 21,173

You sir, have clearly not been reading the last few pages
tongue.gif
...Cables make no difference. 
rolleyes.gif
  Wanna buy a bridge?  

psst... (I have some Whiplash Audio Silver LItz cables on the way..  I will post impressions if I can stomach the nauseating taunts from the naysayers) 
wink.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

People, even Fang said he chooses the cable (copper and silver for the 560 and 400i) with the best sound, nothing wrong with going a step further!

Aug 4, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #6,396 of 21,173
After having spent some time with the 560 through Justin's head amp loaner program, the treble emphasis has indeed been blown out of proportion. These are incredibly balanced headphones. Different presentation then something like Stax or even Sennheiser. But I could easily listen to treble heavy tracks without an ounce of fatigue. Although it's a bad comparison, it reminds me a little of how smooth the treble is on the re0 iem. Great extension and resolution without harshness.

That's nice to read. I'm currently torned between LCD2 and HE-560 to replace my HD-650, but would rather go with HiFiMAN due to the fact that I can wear my headphones for extended period of time and the Audeze is not known to be that comfortable. Even the naturel clamp (didn't touch anything on the HP) of my HD-650 is starting to become an issue 
biggrin.gif

In the other hand, I'm quite sensitive to sibilance and treble harshness/too great brightness that quickly cause fatigue, really don't like that... I was afraid the HE-560 might be going a little down that path.

Aug 4, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #6,397 of 21,173
You sir, have clearly not been reading the last few pages:p ...Cables make no difference. :rolleyes:   Wanna buy a bridge?  

psst... (I have some Whiplash Audio Silver LItz cables on the way..  I will post impressions if I can stomach the nauseating taunts from the naysayers) :wink: :)

aEven smaller pssstt a : toxic cables could be ur choice of cables...a BW would do fine..its affordable...it did perfectly with my he500 and now my code-x (heavily modded he5). :D

Aug 4, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #6,398 of 21,173

After using the stock cable at first, I switched to my DIY'd Mogami W2799 cables.  I doubt I'll go back to the stock, except maybe to do a comparison when I'm really bored.  My cables sound great, are much lighter and more supple, as I remove the sheath and shield.  I've got 6-foot and 10-foot versions, so variety to boot.  I use Neutrik connectors, but not the gold-plated.

Aug 4, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #6,399 of 21,173

That's nice to read. I'm currently torned between LCD2 and HE-560 to replace my HD-650, but would rather go with HiFiMAN due to the fact that I can wear my headphones for extended period of time and the Audeze is not known to be that comfortable. Even the naturel clamp (didn't touch anything on the HP) of my HD-650 is starting to become an issue :D

In the other hand, I'm quite sensitive to sibilance and treble harshness/too great brightness that quickly cause fatigue, really don't like that... I was afraid the HE-560 might be going a little down that path.

Sibilance and harshness are no issue, the only bad thing I can say about the treble is it might have a very slight tizz to it.

Aug 4, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #6,400 of 21,173
From playing with the impedance settings on my CEntrance, it could be matching with the amp that's providing these differing opinions of the treble.  On the low impedance settings I can get a bit of the "tizz" as well.  But on the higher impedance settings, that goes away, as well as some of the sparkle.  I think the HE560s are very receptive to what's feeding them so there will be wide variations on the opinion of their sound.

Quote:
Cables are tricky, I personally believe there are no sonic improvements to be had from a well constructed cable (under $50 
eek.gif
) unless you plan on having huge lengths of cable. ...
 Headphones should be the only thing affecting sound quality.

I appreciate your long response.  I quoted this as I have a problem with the "believe" part of this.  If someone wants to tell me that cables don't make a difference because theory says they don't and have never bothered to try them....  If you have tried some and they match the theory, that's another thing.  
That's unfortunately most of the problem with these "debates".  Some have tried and say there is a difference and are told they are wrong by those who theorize that they can't possibly be hearing a difference based on the measurements of what, theoretically, the ear can or can't hear.
As they say, "the proof of the pudding is in the eating"...

As far as headphones only affecting the sound quality... well that's just not true..  (I realize you say "should" but still..)

Aug 4, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #6,401 of 21,173

- I also found it hard to tolerate it for most of the metal that I tested that included Helloween, In Flames, Machine Head, Trivium, Insomnium, and Arch Enemy. Didn't have enough presence in the mid-bass area where the "metal" bass guitar lives to really give those bands much life. And like the HE-400 did, the HE-560 also shoved percussion to the background to the point that it routinely got obscured by other musical elements.

It's the only thing that I don't like about the 560s, they don't have enough mid-bass to shine with Metal music.  Maybe I should order the pre-prod earpads ?

Aug 4, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #6,402 of 21,173
As far as headphones only affecting the sound quality... well that's just not true..

Anyone gojng through the road i went..from extreme low tier to more higher end amping..can confirm that an amp indeed can be in a big way affect the sound...hell..even when i had my 337 changing from standard cheap russian tubes to the ones i had when i sold my amp was a big difference on my he500. And on both occasions were no placebo at all...as otherwise it would be a mass illusion...

Aug 4, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #6,403 of 21,173
It's the only thing that I don't like about the 560s, they don't have enough mid-bass to shine with Metal music.  Maybe I should order the pre-prod earpads ?

Strange..midbass and the midrange of voices (rammstein, after forever, within temptation, evannescence etc. i loved) was what my he500 shined the most...only on lowest octaves the lcd did better on my 337 that i had..

maybe a mismatch with ur amp? Have u tried a lyr? Or violectric v200? Am sure u didnt try the 337/339. Or some higher end headphone amping?

Aug 4, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #6,404 of 21,173
560's treble is not too strong, so there's no need to worry.  The lower treble is problematic to me with focus pads, but less so of a problem with focus-a pads.  I associate tizz with 10khz+, and the 560 is a little warm in those areas.  It is slightly hard in the lower treble around 4-6khz at times.

Aug 4, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #6,405 of 21,173
Strange..midbass and the midrange of voices (rammstein, after forever, within temptation, evannescence etc. i loved) was what my he500 shined the most...only on lowest octaves the lcd did better on my 337 that i had..

maybe a mismatch with ur amp? Have u tried a lyr? Or violectric v200? Am sure u didnt try the 337/339. Or some higher end headphone amping?

Yeah maybe it's because of my amp...(I have the Vali but I'm planning to purchase the Lyr 2 or the Project Ember.)

Or maybe I should buy the HE-400i :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back