= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 19, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #5,656 of 21,171
Wait,
All the HE400 needed was a considerable reduction in treble. Other than that, they were absolutely magnificent, and remains as one of my fave headphones ever. I personally didn't mind the treble, but yeah, it would be more preferable to have a little less. It was a bit jarring going from the recessed upper mids to a treble spike like that. The treble itself wasn't a problem. If the 400i was a 400 with less treble and everything else remained the same, I'd be ecstatic.
Wait, who has a 400 and 560 or focus pads? If the spike in treble was the problem and the focus production pads take care of the treble end... it could be a nice match

Jul 19, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #5,657 of 21,171
If you was gonne pick a headphone for EDM/electronic music, would it be LCD-2 or HE-560? 
Which gives overall more fun for such genre's, which doesnt really seem to favor a more hifi sounding headphone. 

Which amps seem to be the most popular for these headphones yet? 
Im millimeters away from ordering them

Jul 19, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #5,658 of 21,171

Just received my Lyr2. Having a blast with the he560!

If you don't already have one of these tubes for your Lyr 2, you should pick up a pair or both pairs... 

(1) Amperex Orange Globe 6DJ8
(2) 1971 Voskhod Rockets with Gray Shields

It's almost a toss up between the two tubes, but I slightly prefer the Orange Globes... just a slight bit more smoothness with dynamic treble output... such as heavy strikes on the upper end of a Steinway keyboard... oh, so sweet!

I know all you Liquid Gold owners and other high priced amp lovers think you have the ultimate amp... and maybe you do... but for $449 and the right set of tubes, the Lyr 2 sure makes very good music with the HE-560's. And with my Oppo BDP-105 front player and DAC, connected by a good inexpensive Morrow Audio IC, I have great music! And, BTW, before I retired from flying those big beautiful silver birds, I had speaker systems up into the Porsche 911 price range. I know you can drain the last ounce of juice from Wilson Watt Puppies and Whow woofer with Audio Research tube pre-amp and amps, and upper end Wadia DAC, thru MIT $4,000 IC's and speaker cables. But, I have discovered with pocket book restrain, that you can have a GREAT music system, whether in speakers or headphones, with a modest budget.

And, while I'm on my soap box, let me leave you with one tip that I learned form my good friend and founder of Audio Research Corp and reviver of tube amps after transistors seized the market,... "put most of your money in the front end... that's where music begins... because if it's 'garbage' into the speakers (or headphones), then it will be garbage' out." And this was a very honest statement at the time, because ARC was not into front ends... only amps.

​OK... back to listening to my exciting HE-560's driven oh so rightly.

Jul 19, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #5,659 of 21,171
  If you don't already have one of these tubes for your Lyr 2, you should pick up a pair or both pairs... 

(1) Amperex Orange Globe 6DJ8
(2) 1971 Voskhod Rockets with Gray Shields

It's almost a toss up between the two tubes, but I slightly prefer the Orange Globes... just a slight bit more smoothness with dynamic treble output... such as heavy strikes on the upper end of a Steinway keyboard... oh, so sweet!

I know all you Liquid Gold owners and other high priced amp lovers think you have the ultimate amp... and maybe you do... but for $449 and the right set of tubes, the Lyr 2 sure makes very good music with the HE-560's. And with my Oppo BDP-105 front player and DAC, connected by a good inexpensive Morrow Audio IC, I have great music! And, BTW, before I retired from flying those big beautiful silver birds, I had speaker systems up into the Porsche 911 price range. I know you can drain the last ounce of juice from Wilson Watt Puppies and Whow woofer with Audio Research tube pre-amp and amps, and upper end Wadia DAC, thru MIT $4,000 IC's and speaker cables. But, I have discovered with pocket book restrain, that you can have a GREAT music system, whether in speakers or headphones, with a modest budget.

And, while I'm on my soap box, let me leave you with one tip that I learned form my good friend and founder of Audio Research Corp and reviver of tube amps after transistors seized the market,... "put most of your money in the front end... that's where music begins... because if it's 'garbage' into the speakers (or headphones), then it will be garbage' out." And this was a very honest statement at the time, because ARC was not into front ends... only amps.

​OK... back to listening to my exciting HE-560's driven oh so rightly.

Excellent advice, and quite true. I think in double blind listening test some of the Summit Fi system owners might have more difficulty picking out a well matched/thought out budget system such as most of us have than they think they would. The point of diminishing returns can be quickly passed after the fundamentals of quality sound reproduction are taken into consideration. I think aesthetics play a big role in what we audio buffs covet. Some of that ubber expensive  gear is really well designed and looks stunning. I will admit that some of my decision making includes the looks and materials of products. Nice post Skooks.

Jul 19, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #5,661 of 21,171
^I bet!

Quote:
  If you was gonne pick a headphone for EDM/electronic music, would it be LCD-2 or HE-560? 
Which gives overall more fun for such genre's, which doesnt really seem to favor a more hifi sounding headphone. 

Can't help ya dude, but the HE-560 seems to be phenomenal with a good deal of electronic music. At least the bit I have listened to.

Jul 19, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #5,662 of 21,171

If you like your electronic music with lots of deep rumbly bass, go with the LCD-2 or even the HE-500. LCD-2 first generation, especially, is probably the best bass headphone I have ever heard.
The 560 is more neutral in presentation and better detail and  with slam when needed, but not as good for bassy electronica as the 500 and certainly not as good as the LCD-2 (older version).

Jul 19, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #5,666 of 21,171
  I have the Mjolnir and I should receive my pair of 560s early next week but I don't have a balanced cable for the HiFiMAN. 
frown.gif

What's the best option if I don't want to pay more than $200/$250 ?  The VANQUISH from Norne Audio ?

I have a 10' Norne Vanquish non-balanced cable coming soon... hopefully this next week. I have had Norse cables made for my past HE-500 and extension for my Ety IEM's. I found them to be a little better than the stock cable... and of course, since the HE-560 comes with a short cable, it will be a welcome relief. I hope the Norne is a continuation of good cable construction displayed in the past Norse cables. And, yes it will probably meet your price point.

Jul 19, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #5,668 of 21,171

Another alternative : Project Ember with Mullard CV4024 / 12AT7. They sound great with HE 560 :)

I'll second an Ember, except with a Sylvania BH7 Red. Great soundstage, added warmth, and a touch of sweetness on the highs.

Jul 19, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #5,669 of 21,171
HE-560's bass extends down all the way with ease, I'd recommend it over an LCD2 simply because it's more comfortable and more energetic in the treble-- and electronica is just as much about the treble as it is the bass to me.  If you ever need more bass out of the 560 you can just EQ it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back